Hacking Question SX-OS End of life 'request'

fatherjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have marked this as 'Question' rather than 'Discussion'
I would prefer it if someone/anyone with pertinent knowledge could answer this for me rather than the thread descend into SX/Atmos attrition :)
so......

I just re-read an old review for the DS-Xtreme cart (yes, I still have two in a draw somewhere) here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-xtreme-review.38174/
and remember the situation being VERY similar to the current SX-OS demise, with a call for the dev team to release the source code..........

As it appears that there is no more opportunity to monetise their product in the current circumstance, does anybody have contact with the SX-OS devs?
There IS source code for the project sitting somewhere, and I'm sure this would be welcomed and useful to the modding community, and a nice parting shot for all the people (including me) who purchased their products.
so...who do I email?
:)

LyuboA

Unknown Entity
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
SXOS uses Nintendo copyrighted code plus what they stole from AMS and just cause of the copyrighted Nintendo code that will Never going to happen and these guys just Cant care less about their customers so unless you can contact them and Pay them Lots of Money for it just Forget about it but even if you get it what then you Need to Write the code otherwise Nintendo comes for you

fatherjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SXOS uses Nintendo copyrighted code plus what they stole from AMS and just cause of the copyrighted Nintendo code that will Never going to happen and these guys just Cant care less about their customers so unless you can contact them and Pay them Lots of Money for it just Forget about it but even if you get it what then you Need to Write the code otherwise Nintendo comes for you
Yeah, like I said, its gonna be almost impossible for them to squeeze anything else outta this one moneywise

I respect that your seeking code to continue it, but I'll be blunt with you brother this aint the best place to ask around for that kind of info.
Yeah, you're right there - but cant hurt to say it all over, you never know who's reading it :) :)

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Very unlikely, they used the same protection tech they used for gateway 3ds, and they aren't going to open it up to the public when they could keep it for whatever the next thing is. Hypothetically they could release a version with all that protection stripped off, but I don't see that happening either tbh.

Reactions: fatherjack

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What exactly would you gain that isnt currently available?
Their XCI loading methods were not legal, & everything else is offered from Atmosphere.
The only other thing they provided was a fail safe incognito method. I say fail safe because files can get corrupted & dns servers apart from causing a slower connection go down.
Otherwise Idk what unique benefits you would gain.

Reactions: fatherjack

Kallrkyle

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
What exactly would you gain that isnt currently available?
Their XCI loading methods were not legal, & everything else is offered from Atmosphere.
The only other thing they provided was a fail safe incognito method. I say fail safe because files can get corrupted & dns servers apart from causing a slower connection go down.
Otherwise Idk what unique benefits you would gain.

Who gives the f*ck if the XCI loading methods were legal or not, 99% of the users here use cfw for illegal purpose anyway, so stop being so damn hypocritical abot it

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The developers give a fuck, because that is what got TX arrested. What makes you think anyone would be willing to risk that after what happened?

Reactions: Rahkeesh

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Who gives the f*ck if the XCI loading methods were legal or not, 99% of the users here use cfw for illegal purpose anyway, so stop being so damn hypocritical abot it
It's not about that. It's about being able to make a 3rd party version or extract it from SXOS.

Kallrkyle

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
It's not about that. It's about being able to make a 3rd party version or extract it from SXOS.

I know what it is about, but TBH its getting so tiresome to keep hearing ppl come with the same excuses all the time, like its a illegal code, it leads to piracy and i could go on, in most countries its illigal to boot cfw, make copy of your bought medias (games, apps and so on) if you break a copy protection, so spare me the damn hypocritical nonsense since more or less every member here is breaking some copyrights every day

Even ppl that claim they just use cfw to play retroarch on the Switch breaks cCopyrights, most of them don't own the games they are playing

"
Creative works are under copyright protection for 70 years after the death of the author, or if the work was created for hire, for a company, for 120 years after creation, or 95 years after first publication.

So, unless you are five years old, and the video game you want to copy is 20 - 30 years old, you’ll need to wait for a very, very long time before it becomes public domain, and may well die before its copyright expires.
"

fatherjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
..maybe not 99% but you're certainly in the right ballpark :)

I couldn't agree more!
like I said, its all about the cash for these guys. I really don't begrudge anyone being paid for their 'time and effort' but no-one is gonna toss up and offer them anything for the code as there is no viable way to monetise their exploit any further.
The decent thing to do would be to gift it to the community before it gets too old to be of any use.

Kallrkyle

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
The developers give a fuck, because that is what got TX arrested. What makes you think anyone would be willing to risk that after what happened?
That was a part of the reason, the main reason was the SX Core/Light chips

Funny though, i have never seen anyone complain about TX made and sold then from any member

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

..maybe not 99% but you're certainly in the right ballpark :)

You're right, bus as we say in my country
"Exaggeration promotes understanding"

Reactions: Maupiti

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I hope that the sx-os case serve as a lesson to not support never a close source CFW, and much less in the case that it is a paid CFW. During the existence of sx-os, some users became "fanboys" and they defended these scoundrels who took advantage of the work of others to earn money.

Reactions: nachuz

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That was a part of the reason, the main reason was the SX Core/Light chips

Funny though, i have never seen anyone complain about TX made and sold then from any member
Yep, they’ve been the only ones working on a hardware solution for patched units and next revisions, like they did on Xbox360

Last edited by Maupiti,

Kallrkyle

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Yep, they’ve been the only ones working on a hardware solution for patched units and next revisions, like they did on Xbox360

I have been a long time user of the things TX have made and released, all the way back from the OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and latest Switch, was one of the testers of the SX Core, still have it laying in original packaged since my vision is way to poor to install it
I did not always agreed with them on the way things was done, but they did some amazing things, and they made modding pretty easy for alot of ppl.

I'm not a fanboy, i just found it pretty easy to use

Reactions: Maupiti

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I know what it is about, but TBH its getting so tiresome to keep hearing ppl come with the same excuses all the time, like its a illegal code, it leads to piracy and i could go on, in most countries its illigal to boot cfw, make copy of your bought medias (games, apps and so on) if you break a copy protection, so spare me the damn hypocritical nonsense since more or less every member here is breaking some copyrights every day

Even ppl that claim they just use cfw to play retroarch on the Switch breaks cCopyrights, most of them don't own the games they are playing

"
Creative works are under copyright protection for 70 years after the death of the author, or if the work was created for hire, for a company, for 120 years after creation, or 95 years after first publication.

So, unless you are five years old, and the video game you want to copy is 20 - 30 years old, you’ll need to wait for a very, very long time before it becomes public domain, and may well die before its copyright expires.
"
You don't quite get it. If lets say I manage to get the source code of SXOS XCI solution and released it. I would be liable. I would have a massive target painted on my back. No one is denying people are using pirated games. I mostly buy mine but some I pirate to test them.

Even a legal XCI could lead to a drawn out battle with Nintendo. No one wants to make it since it would be hell to fight Nintendo about it. The NSP format that is used is an internal format, that the Switch itself use. XCI is only for piracy while the NSP can be used for homebrew. Most likely why Nintendo don't care as much for NSP as XCI.

fatherjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
.......I did not always agreed with them on the way things was done, but they did some amazing things, and they made modding pretty easy for alot of ppl.

I'm not a fanboy, i just found it pretty easy to use

I totally agree with you - marketing was good and hardware was excellent, but due to the collapse of any support they are losing any chance of coming out of this with any dignity.
Even if they resurface for the next gen console, people have a way of finding out and posting the 'Stay clear of.....' threads on forums,
A public release of source will at least buy them some kudos back, and potentially retain repeat customers for their next project.
By abandoning existing customers they are losing future customers.

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Even a legal XCI could lead to a drawn out battle with Nintendo. No one wants to make it since it would be hell to fight Nintendo about it. The NSP format that is used is an internal format, that the Switch itself use. XCI is only for piracy while the NSP can be used for homebrew. Most likely why Nintendo don't care as much for NSP as XCI.
IMHO that is a bit naive. Do you really think Nintendo is not caring about the fact that you can install nsps? They are far from stupid and know already you can install xci/nsp on atmosphere. Also emulators like yuzu are already on their radar... Do not think otherwise (but I could be wrong of course)
Perhaps legal actions are already being prepared... Who knows.
What I do hope is that the code to mount xci will stay hidden because when someone creates a way to mount xci on atmosphere (some fork, plug in or app) then that will be extra ammunition for nintendos legal team to kill it off.

Last edited by lafleche,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup