Hacking SX OS Emunand: Intermittent pink screen on boot

BloodRose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I'm using the latest version of SX OS with EmuNand from a 512GB SD Card. The EmuNand is on a hidden partition.

Recently, it intermittently boots CFW to a solid pink screen and I need to reboot the console by holding the power button. After 1 or 2 retries, the EmuNand starts normally and works fine until the next reboot. There are no issues with SysNand.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I did run an error scan on the SD card using chkdsk but I think that would ignore the hidden EmuNand volume. Are there any tools that can be used to check the integrity of the EmuNand partition?

Thanks in advance.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the latest version of SX OS with EmuNand from a 512GB SD Card. The EmuNand is on a hidden partition.

Recently, it intermittently boots CFW to a solid pink screen and I need to reboot the console by holding the power button. After 1 or 2 retries, the EmuNand starts normally and works fine until the next reboot. There are no issues with SysNand.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I did run an error scan on the SD card using chkdsk but I think that would ignore the hidden EmuNand volume. Are there any tools that can be used to check the integrity of the EmuNand partition?

Thanks in advance.
How is it formatted?

BloodRose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
The Emunand is on a hidden partition occupying the first logical 32GB. The rest of the SD card is one large exFAT partition.

BloodRose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
So this has just happened again but I've noticed that sometimes the SX OS main menu screen (with the emuNand/sysNand boot choice) will say "no boot.dat" found. My guess is it could be a timeout due the large capacity of my SD card coupled with the fact that I have a lot of data on it. Does anyone know if there's a way to extend the timeout options?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this has just happened again but I've noticed that sometimes the SX OS main menu screen (with the emuNand/sysNand boot choice) will say "no boot.dat" found. My guess is it could be a timeout due the large capacity of my SD card coupled with the fact that I have a lot of data on it. Does anyone know if there's a way to extend the timeout options?
Are you sure the card is not fake?

BloodRose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Are you sure the card is not fake?

As confident as I could be really. It came from Amazon and works otherwise perfectly. It's actually the fastest SD card I've ever used.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

exFAT ... corrupt data try delete and replace the boot.dat file on the sd card

Yes, I'm leaning towards exFat being the cause but I'd prefer not to migrate to FAT32 because of the 4GB file limit tbh.

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As confident as I could be really. It came from Amazon and works otherwise perfectly. It's actually the fastest SD card I've ever used.

Yes, I'm leaning towards exFat being the cause but I'd prefer not to migrate to FAT32 because of the 4GB file limit tbh.

im on fat32 and dont have to worry about the size limit when installing over usb, never had an issue yet.

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OP says a 512GB sd card.....probably a fake because there are many fake of em (if its not PNY, Samsung or SanDisk then its fake for sure)

BloodRose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
OP says a 512GB sd card.....probably a fake because there are many fake of em (if its not PNY, Samsung or SanDisk then its fake for sure)

The card is Integral but came from Amazon and has no disk integrity or capacity issues that I have been able to see.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-512GB-Premium-memory-microSDXC/dp/B07K3DVKLS/

Unless Amazon are now allowing fake SD cards into their main supply chain then I don't think it's fake.

rest of your sd card can be far32 if its another partition, also other installers allow this type of installing

I see what you mean now. I could certainly format the main partition and then convert it to FAT32 as long as there's a process I can follow to move 4GB+ XCI files on there.

Last edited by BloodRose,

Purple_Heart

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
integral is not bad either but since when is a 512 gb so cheap?

i think i order such one lmao time to upgrade from my 400gb sandisk

Reactions: BloodRose

BloodRose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
integral is not bad either but since when is a 512 gb so cheap?

It's pretty much always around that price on Amazon UK and DE but it's on special promotion atm.

It isn't the card anyway. As I said on another thread this morning, I accidentally updated my normal emuNAND to 11.0.1 without realising SX OS didn't support it yet. Fortunately my sysNAND was still on 11.0 so I was able to create a working emuNAND on 2nd card for now and it does the same thing.

I don't think it's the SD reader either because there are never any SD card issues when using sysNAND,

One thought however is free storage on emuNAND. Are you supposed to install apps/games to the emuNAND to leave it relatively empty? I'm wondering if it's some sort of timeout while the emuNAND file is loaded because in both cases I've only had a small amount of space available on the emuNAND partition (~1GB).

Purple_Heart

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i cant help you for emummc...i never used emummc...hacked my switch way back when sxos released and got it banned so i dont need emummc...sorry

BloodRose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
i cant help you for emummc...i never used emummc...hacked my switch way back when sxos released and got it banned so i dont need emummc...sorry

No problem, thanks anyway. I think it is that because I don't know what else it really could be at this point.

1. It can't be incompatibility with SXOS because it worked for quite a long time.
2. It can't be the SD card because I've tried two.
3. Same as above for the emuNAND file.
4. The SD card reader shows no other signs of error. If SX OS does boot into emuNAND then it works perfectly from there.

It's either a weird random problem with exFAT or how SXOS scans the emuNAND files at boot. I've cleared pretty much everything off my temporary emuNAND partition now so I'll test it for a few days and see how it goes. It will likely be another few days until we see an 11.0.1 fix for SX OS anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1