SX OS 2.6 Beta released: full support for Nintendo Switch firmware 7.x

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by JBMario, Mar 17, 2019.

1. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    again this should be pinned and thread closed.

gizmomelb and thaikhoa like this.
  2. kingaz

kingaz GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    United States
    Nearly everything on this site is in violation of the DMCA. But not all violations are created equal.

3. natkoden

natkoden GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    ZachyCatGames, CloudLep and g4jek8j54 like this.
  4. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Aye, the block stands that is. Can't they just remove it and I get an OK from and Admin. Then we can allow it.

5. xiaNaix

xiaNaix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2002
    United States
    Remove what? They just explained that SX OS works basically the same way Sept/Atmosphere does with seed keys.

oblid, toto621 and comput3rus3r like this.
  6. TPMJB

TPMJB GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2014
    United States
    Syracuse, New York
    Wouldn't be a very good friend if I told him that one:unsure:

hippy dave likes this.
  7. Game_Over_Tom

Game_Over_Tom Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2018
    United States
  8. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Maniac

May 29, 2015
    United States
    While theres no confirmation one way or the other, it is pretty widely suspected that thats untrue and the current Xecuter is the Gateway team. its on legal record that the TX branding was sold, so it certainly isnt the same team that did xbox modding.

CloudLep likes this.
  9. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    There isn't even anything to prove about SX OS. It needs the key to boot 7.X.X and if they go through the lengths of acquiring it shows they have not fully pwned TSEC. So this is their only option besides using sept (which is out of the question for them).

10. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Addict

Sep 16, 2008
    Australia
    TX didn't do anything to prove themselves for whether being guilty, even a single line the changelogs in details, the scene did the rest for free. So now, discussion is still on going whether TX is Gateway.

Last edited by thaikhoa, Mar 19, 2019
    gizmomelb likes this.
  11. xiaNaix

xiaNaix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2002
    United States
    Members of the team have come and gone since the 360 scene for sure. We're talking about decades here after all. I can assure you that, while consoles and hacking methods have changed significantly over the years, some of the people responsible for SX OS definitely go back to the 360 days.

I think the conspiracy theory regarding Gateway started because they may have used the same factory in China for manufacturing. TX is not a "Chinese company" though and never has been.

toto621 and Game_Over_Tom like this.
  12. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    Except it does not. sept still uses Nintendos TSEC firmware. The key is stored nowhere in no form inside sept while it is stored obfuscated inside SX OS.

CloudLep likes this.
  13. oblid

oblid Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2018
    Uruguay
    Nevermind @linuxares continue with the censhorip. I'm tired of this... Good day.

gizmomelb, toto621 and xiaNaix like this.
  14. Game_Over_Tom

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2018
    United States
    Yeah, attacks on TX are mostly speculation based, so that's nothing new for anyone involved.
    Just the way it goes I guess.

Oh and by the way, the key was not in "plain text" as cleverly phrased as it has been reported ... Go ahead and use a hex editor and view the boot.dat you won't see the key in plain text. You need Mike's scripts to decompress and view the content first. (I know... I know.... but it's worth mentioning) There are plenty of keys included in various works that have been posted here, so I am happy to see people pointing out the hypocrisy and biased practices in play. I'm not going to debate the politics of that, but I figured I would at least drop my opinion while visiting this place.

Looks like the TX Hate train went faster and faster until it finally derailed itself.

MachRc, gizmomelb, JJTapia19 and 5 others like this.
  15. josete2k

josete2k GBAtemp Fan

Apr 24, 2009
    Spain
    Spain
    Are you really sure of that?

16. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    He explains it right there. The key is stored encrypted and then gets decrypted into a keyslot.

17. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    Far as I am aware, generally speaking, there's actually a fairly good check on whether or not code being shared here uses (a.) copyrighted Nintendo code or (b.) contains any keys. Several of the repacker codes even specifically state they are their own product with no code from Nintendo. Some our helpers do not and cannot share dumps of Boot0/1 which are generic and of no harmful use, and purely exist to help in recovery processes.

Atmos and it's periphery all operate under either byok rules or use key-extraction/derivation on the system itself with no distribution of any copyrighted content or otherwise.

The thing is, and this has been publicly since December, SX fails the first hurdle immediately because the of MIPS VM containing the cart header blocks and a LOTUS certificate. They have been held to a lower standard than smaller devs on here who have gone out of their way to make their own code and have been, by the community, audited on its legality.

So the fact that we're now seeing the reverse cry of persecution is rather ironic.

Edit: Even the emulator teams ban use of Nintendo's tools/details for obvious reasons and built entirely from scratch and reverse engineering. So at current, MIPS VM as provided by TX is skirting all rules that everyone else has been observing for months.

Last edited by V-Temp, Mar 19, 2019
  18. CloudLep

CloudLep GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Austria
    love how you tried to defend your company, but just ended up admitting you guys really fucked up this round of updates :rofl2:

19. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    So I can now update mSD file type emunand to latest version while still being on 3.02 sysnand? Any problem loading it?

Though I basically never used the Switch and no games that I want are coming out :wink:

20. Game_Over_Tom

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2018
    United States
    A. Not my company.

B. What the hell are you talking about? SX OS is working just fine. TX is pressing on as usual. The only place having problems with the whole thing is gbatemp.

gizmomelb, toto621 and comput3rus3r like this.