Hacking SX Core with conductive glue/paint

DragarX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've got an SX core coming in the mail to install onto my V1 switch. I was looking into attaching the mod via conductive paint/glue rather than soldering as a less destructive/permanent solution. I doubt anyone had tested this before, but would anyone have any reason why this wouldn't work? with the v1 cable, the pads pretty much touch the caps as it is, so this would really just be more of a way to hold them together than a true solder.
The product I plan to use is linked bellow it's listed at a resistance of "0.02 - 0.1 ohms/cm2." would this affect the chip at all or is this tiny amount of resistance fine?

https://www.jaycar.com.au/silver-conductive-varnish/p/NS3030

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you explain why though?

you don't want paint on the whole motherboard, you just going make a mess, plus if you solder a wire it is from point a to point b it is cleaner, no example of hard modding of the switch have been done with conductive glue/paint. If you want to brick your unit go ahead with your crazy idea.

DragarX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you don't want paint on the whole motherboard, you just going make a mess, plus if you solder a wire it is from point a to point b it is cleaner, no example of hard modding of the switch have been done with conductive glue/paint. If you want to brick your unit go ahead with your crazy idea.
What the hell are you talking about? paint on the whole motherboard? The paint would be used in the exact same spot and size as the solder. How would this possibly cause a brick?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the hell are you talking about? paint on the whole motherboard? The paint would be used in the exact same spot and size as the solder. How would this possibly cause a brick?

Well you want a wire from point A from the main board to point B on the chip, you don't want the conductant on the rest of the motherboard when not needed, that why people solder wires, keep in mind the modchip isn't part of the main unit, I own a few hard modded switches and all of them are hard modded via soldering, you can check out the sx thread about the core and lite no one show any example of how it was hard modded outside of soldering.

DragarX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well you want a wire from point A from the main board to point B on the chip, you don't want the conductant on the rest of the motherboard when not needed, that why people solder wires, keep in mind the modchip isn't part of the main unit, I own a few hard modded switches and all of them are hard modded via soldering, you can check out the sx thread about the core and lite no one show any example of how it was hard modded outside of soldering.
if you've installed TX core's before, then you should know that point a and point b are basically already touching (no wires involved) so there would only be a tiny bit of paint where the solder would be. I don't know why you think I'd be painting anywhere else on the board.
I obviously know nobody has done it yet, otherwise I would already have the information at hand and wouldn't have created a new thread.
I'm looking for reasons as to why this method would not work, I already know soldering is the optimum/preferred method, but unless I'm aware of any problems this method could have I'm willing to give it a go as a possible method for other users without solder skills or equipment to install the chip themselves.
If i do in fact find a reason why this method would not work, then I'll certainly solder it, it will just end up costing a lot more for me to upgrade my current solder equipment.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you've installed TX core's before, then you should know that point a and point b are basically already touching so there would only be a tiny bit of paint where the solder would be. I don't know why you think I'd be painting anywhere else on the board.
I obviously know nobody has done it yet, otherwise I would already have the information at hand and wouldn't have created a new thread.
I'm looking for reasons as to why this method would not work, I already know soldering is the optimum/preferred method, but unless I'm aware of any problems this method could have I'm willing to give it a go as a possible method for other users without solder skills or equipment to install the chip themselves.
If i do in fact find a reason why this method would not work, then I'll certainly solder it, it will just end up costing a lot more for me to upgrade my current solder equipment.

Your choice bud.

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, to answer your question (is it possible?), yes, it is possible as long as it is conductive and low resistance. Next, you need to somehow secure it from being moving around when... "moving around". Let us know your result as there is no one here who has tried one with conductive paint or glue AFAIK.

DragarX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well, to answer your question (is it possible?), yes, it is possible as long as it is conductive and low resistance. Next, you need to somehow secure it from being moving around when... "moving around". Let us know your result as there is no one here who has tried one with conductive paint or glue AFAIK.
Thank you, this is more what i was looking for.
I've got some double sided tape to hold the flex down, which i have seen used in several other guides before albeit with solder. I also wouldn't be apposed to soldering the anchor points as my current solder setup should be able to do that without any extra gear.

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've got some double sided tape to hold the flex down, which i have seen used in several other guides before albeit with solder. I also wouldn't be apposed to soldering the anchor points as my current solder setup should be able to do that without any extra gear.
Let us know your result when you are done! This surely will lower the skill requirement for installation.

Reactions: DragarX

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad you can’t actually activate the chip anymore. With the activation servers being down there is probably not a way to actually use SXOS.

I am looking forward to if you get it installed with conductive paint since this would allow myself to install one without getting better equipment or relying on someone else.

of course I hope all this is not going to be worthless for anyone to install and use new chips without a way to activate them.

britain4

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have a patched V1 then you can still use the chip with the SXOS boot.dat without a license to boot the Hekate payload. V2/lite users will have to wait for Hekate/Atmosphere to be updated but I’m sure this will happen.

Someone will probably find a way of getting round this though and loading Hekate straight from the chip

AlexValCar

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Please please Let us know your result when you are done!!!!

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Too bad you can’t actually activate the chip anymore. With the activation servers being down there is probably not a way to actually use SXOS.

I am looking forward to if you get it installed with conductive paint since this would allow myself to install one without getting better equipment or relying on someone else.

of course I hope all this is not going to be worthless for anyone to install and use new chips without a way to activate them.
i mean the servers are up

Reactions: iialaq01

DragarX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Unfortunately the store i wanted to purchase from didn't have the varnish in stock. So I ended up just soldering it, which actually worked fine until about an hour later and now it won't boot or anything.

Reactions: r5xscn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: