Hacking Discussion SX Core Mariko list of non-compatible tools

satanicangel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi,

Update 21-Aug-20: There have been report of Incognito normal NRO (not RCM) bricking Lites (and probably Marikos). While I myself find no problem using Incognito, it is worth mentioning that there is a risk out there. If you are skeptical, just use stealth mode or do incognito in Emunand. Worst case is probably you will need to reflash for emunand.

Update 02-Jul-20: TX has noted the issue and pushed a fix to those that 'bricked' their device using Choir. Quoting from @Thejigmaster :
"to fix the brick you have to turn off switch, plug usb into the debug port from sxcore into your computer, your computer will recognize switch as a COM device and the SX core will turn green, you then use sx installer to flash firmware v1.3 to the sx core and put 3.03 boot.dat on sd card it’ll boot now again as normal."
If you have updated SX OS past 3.03, it will be safe to update using Choi now, at least from what TX mentioned.

With more and more people receiving the SX Core, I think we need to have a thread to warn SX Core users, especially on patched switches, which are the tools that should be avoided. I am surprised that this information is not easily available elsewhere, not even in TX forum or pinned in their chat. Anyway here goes:

DO NOT USE (POTENTIAL BRICK, need to reflash):

1. ChoidujourNX. Doesn't matter if you keep autorcm enabled or not. Flash=brick. Not tested in emummc, but please do not try. UPDATE: TX claims that updating past SX OS 3.03 makes it safe for you to update again without bricking.
2. Incognito/Wipe serial in Tinfoil. Tested in emummc, your switch will freeze when booting, forcing you to recreate your emummc. I assume using this in sysmmc will result in a brick, please do not try. UPDATE: This feature has been purposely removed from newer versions of Tinfoil for Mariko sets.
3. Lockpick RCM (not sure about the normal non RCM version).

NO EFFECT (No brick, but doesn't work):

1. Hekate
2. Biskeydump
3. Emuiibo
4. Edizon

Working (Works based on my own experience, YMMV):
1. JKSV (save backup/restore, others not tested)
2. Tinfoil (do not backup/wipe the serial)
3. Awoo Installer (fork with anti sx code removed)
4. Kefir (ONLY NNID LINKING, please do not perform any other actions)
5. Tesla Overlay (Just the main overlay tested)
6. Incognito (NRO, not the one bundled with Tinfoil, and not the RCM version) PLEASE READ THE AUGUST UPDATE ABOVE

Working (reported to work)
1. Retraoarch
2. Checkpoint
3. moonlight-nx
4. nx-shell
5. sys-con

If anyone is willing to contribute their experience with other tools I am willing to edit my list. Please let this serve as a warning as a lot of users have already got their Mariko set bricked, after installing SX Core.

Last edited by satanicangel,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just watch out for anything that can write to NAND system partition.
If hash check fail before modchip has a chance to work, you will get unrecoverable (at this moment) hard brick.

And removing SX Core also means hard brick (because of key manipulation done by modchip). ;)

Best way is to use only emuNAND. This is the best protection you can have.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

DO NOT USE (POTENTIAL BRICK):

1. ChoidujourNX. Doesn't matter if you keep autorcm enabled or not. Flash=brick. Not tested in emummc, but please do not try.

There is a confirmation Mariko units are downloading the same files for FW? Because all FWs avbailable on net are from OG units and they may differ, that's why ChoiDojourNX may brick your console (or method used to update OG is not compatible with Mariko)

Last edited by masagrator,
Reactions: Stealphie

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If hash check fail before modchip has a chance to work, you will get unrecoverable (at this moment) hard brick.

And removing SX Core also means hard brick (because of key manipulation done by modchip). ;)

There is a confirmation Mariko units are downloading the same files for FW? Because all FWs avbailable on net are from OG units and they may differ, that's why ChoiDojourNX may brick your console (or method used to update OG is not compatible with Mariko)
So once you install a SX Core, you're stuck with it forever? Is there any way to undo the changes it makes? Something better is going to come along eventually and people will want to switch, so it would be awful if that's not possible.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So once you install a SX Core, you're stuck with it forever? Is there any way to undo the changes it makes? Something better is going to come along eventually and people will want to switch, so it would be awful if that's not possible.
Theoretically it's possible to reverse it, just iirc you need to decrypt SX keys archive.

You have more about what is going on in hexkyz Twitter.

Correction: it's not about keys. :P

D

Deleted User

No, you can remove SX Core and everything still works fine! Don't believe the FUD that the TX haters are spreading.
SX Core writes to first two BCTs and a payload to an unused part of boot0.

What happens if you remove SX Core? The Switch will use the BCT backups in the third and fourth BCT, these were not touched by SX Core!

And lastly, there is an option to delete the payload in the unused part of boot0 using the USB interface. There is literally no reason why TX could not do this from their boot menu. Has anyone tried asking them without jumping to conclusions? This is a modchip that has just been released. Do you expect everything from day 1?

Bottom line, people without technical background only read what TX haters are saying and take this as fact. This is being spread as misinformation while being patently false.

Last edited by ,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, you can remove SX Core and everything still works fine! Don't believe the FUD that the TX haters are spreading.
I can make your statement true if you wish. :ph34r:
Don't blame me though on consequences of your assumptions.

Well, this was all my assumptions. I may understand it wrong as I was thinking it overwrites data.

D

Deleted User

It does overwrite data. Specifically the first two BCTs. But that's not really an issue as there's a backup and can be restored anytime given you have access to the eMMC. If you don't have access to eMMC but can still boot up the TX boot menu, I agree that this is something TX should add and I've notified them about it. They said they will look into it.

TX is not as unreasonable or malicious as you seem to jump to

Last edited by ,

satanicangel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

Ya, but some of the users have no idea what does it even mean for writing to NAND, hence trying to compile the information so that it at least serve as a warning to them.

I can't say for sure Mariko has the same FW, but what I heard from rumors are SX will come out with their own installer which supports FW upgrading. This makes me believe that the FW are the same, but tools need to be updated. Don't quote me on this though.

satanicangel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
How about overclock, tesla, reverseNX?
and if work
Is possible overclock GPU to max 1267 MHz with mariko switch?
Tesla overlay does work, but I did not have a chance to try the rest yet. I wouldn't even want to try overclocking at this point unless it is confirmed to be working.

HenryMin

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I haven't tested yet but incognito nro version(not rcm, not tinfoil) is okay to use on emuMMC.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do not use incognito.nro on mariko (use only on emuNAND)

Last edited by HenryMin,

Thejigmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tested yet but incognito nro version(not rcm, not tinfoil) is okay to use on emuMMC.

Do you mean this one? https://github.com/blawar/incognito/releases, most everyone is saying to just use stealth mode and disable stealth mode to update HOS but in my experience I had a switch banned pretty quickly when i disabled stealth mode to do just that lol and another i accidentally disabled it and that one also got banned so i like using emummc with incognito no ban on v1 so far for a long while now.

enum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that one. It works fine on my sx core mariko emuMMC.
What version are you using? I tried 1.5 on my v1 switch and it broke the emmunand after i rebooted it. I had to delete the partition and make a new emunand.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say for sure Mariko has the same FW, but what I heard from rumors are SX will come out with their own installer which supports FW upgrading. This makes me believe that the FW are the same, but tools need to be updated. Don't quote me on this though.
They use the same firmwares.
I’m guessing ChoiNX probably flashes Erista pkg1/bct regardless of hardware type, which would cause a brick on Mariko.

satanicangel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
he used 1.5
can confirm incognito works on v2 mariko switches through the NRO homebrew

Ok thanks for confirming - will add it in the list

Does anyone know If lockpick compatible with sx core for v1 patched switch?
I heard that lockpick rcm is causing a brick - but not sure for lockpick. Don't even dare to try now as my emummc is fully setup and I am too lazy to create a new one haha.

Reactions: Deleted User

SrsRobert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Is choi the only way to update Nintendo firmware? I'm guessing people with v2 hacked switches will have to wait for a solution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over