1. MrSandstorm

MrSandstorm Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    This. There was a discussion about conductive glue some 20 pages back. It may or may not work and may or may not be reliable. I don't think anyone would recommend it.

And please, do as the man says here, and avoid anything that says lead-free and/or with a RoHS logo on it. Lead-free solder has a higher melting point, doesn't flow as easily and is an overall pain in the a** to work with. Go with 60/40 or 63/37 leaded solder, and don't buy cheap stuff thinking you'll get away with it.

Last edited by MrSandstorm, Jun 12, 2020
    weatMod likes this.
  2. matias3ds

OP matias3ds GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    I think that many guys ask for glue , becuase they dont have the tools or expirience in solder , but they can deasamby the switch ans try.
    For my expirience i have looked for people in Argentina to do the soldering jog , and i have found none , maybe because the product is too new .

3. MrSandstorm

Newcomer

Brazil
    Yeah, that's exactly it. People are usually intimidated by soldering, even more so when it involves tiny components and pads.

Have you tried asking in phone/laptop repair shops? Just show them the installation manual and ask if they can do it. If they work on board level stuff, chances are they might be able to. Explain that you don't need them to configure anything, just solder the connections.

4. matias3ds

OP matias3ds GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Ho yeah i asked and even told them they were 12 point to solder but i didnt have the required tools , and it was a total no , we dont do consoles , only cell phones etc bla bla . i have evenn asked in facebook with guys that repalace joycons and other stuffs , but not of them are willing to do it yet . And of course all the co vid virus , is not haelping . A lot of people is selling htei modded switchs and games because they dont have jobs or has been fired

5. MrSandstorm

Newcomer

Brazil
    The whole covid thing really messed everything up, can't wait for it to be over. Bought some tools I needed on aliexpress, but one of the packages is still stuck in Singapore due to lack of flights. I'm curious to see which will show up first, the modchip or the tools to install it...

matias3ds likes this.
  6. S_Sustain

S_Sustain Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Has anyone else with a pre-order been asked to pay more for shipping since placing their order? I got a message from mine asking for another $10 to ship, due to "increased shipping risk".

7. Astur_torque

Astur_torque GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    that's not your fault, tell them not to scam you

Last edited by Astur_torque, Jun 12, 2020
  8. XD2020

XD2020 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I haven’t got anything like that and I have an order with a couple vendors.

Last edited by XD2020, Jun 12, 2020
  9. S_Sustain

S_Sustain Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    It wasn't via email or anything, it was added to a note I raised asking for a shipping date. Reasons given were "price and risk of shipping" and the need to find an alternative route to avoid inspection. I paid it, but only because the total cost still comes in at around the same price as it's advertised elsewhere and the seller is responsive. If it goes south I'll name them on here.

10. Astur_torque

Spain
    :facepalm:

You shouldn't have paid for it, to me is kind of a scam

Last edited by Astur_torque, Jun 12, 2020
  11. Artwebb

Artwebb Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    You definitely shouldn't have paid that. Especially since you already paid. Any normal business would ship it and lose some of their profits to regain a customer. Because I myself would never ever order from that place again.

I would be hesitant now that you ever get the chip at all.

Last edited by Artwebb, Jun 12, 2020
  12. XD2020

XD2020 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I can see why he paid. The chip we’re all buying is gray market and hard to come by. Shouldn’t throw good money after bad, but $10 to maybe increase his chance of getting it makes sense to me. But ya maybe don't use them again.

As a fellow newcomer, we’re relying on Xecuter not to list resellers who are shady or have a bad history. I sure couldn’t tell who to order from when half the links on their page for the US were broken for about a week. I picked one and cross my fingers it works out.

13. Artwebb

Artwebb Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    There is no shipping that would be safer for $10 more.

Pretty self explanatory since all the US ones got letters for the lawsuit not to pick those.

14. airrich

airrich GBAtemp Regular

United States
    it's time to shame them. post the name!

15. Astur_torque
    This message by Astur_torque has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jun 13, 2020.
    Jun 12, 2020
  16. S_Sustain

S_Sustain Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Let me explain why I decided to pay.

Back in mid December, the reseller was on the TX approved list. A search here showed that people had ordered from them before and had gotten their goods. I preordered back then with a view to getting my SX lite in the first batch. When I was able, I paid the remainder. The shop site then disappeared, but reappeared under a new URL. It's only recently after I asked about shipping dates that I was asked to pay the extra.
    I took the decision to pay, mainly because even with the additional payment, the total cost still comes in cheaper than other resellers.
    The reseller has always been responsive.
    They were on the TX approved list.
    They seemed to have good feedback before I ordered.
    Even when they disappeared off the net, they contacted me with the new site URL.
    I know first hand how keenly HMRC are checking the CN22s on imports from China in the UK.
    I bought a single unit for my own use.

It was a calculated risk, and one that I was prepared to take up to a point. I'm at that point now.

And no, I won't be using them again, even if I get the chip. :-)

Last edited by S_Sustain, Jun 12, 2020
  17. The8Darkness

The8Darkness Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Update: I have a shipping estimate using the cheap shipping from elewelt.
    It should arrive on monday. So total of 5-6 days.
    1-2 days to go from china to netherlands. (It shipped during the night for my timezone so not sure how to count that)
    1 day to ship to germany from netherlands. (Surprised by that)
    3 days remaining to get to me (would be 1-2 days if it wasnt the weekend)

Last edited by The8Darkness, Jun 13, 2020
  18. Astur_torque

Spain
    Lol,.. how fast!

I hope my shopping starts on Tuesday (16th as SX Team said) I ordered a SX Core (for myself) and a SX Lite (for a friend of mine, the one who is going to solder BTW)

Last edited by Astur_torque, Jun 13, 2020
  19. squee666

squee666 Trusted SX Core/Lite Installer

United Kingdom
    yeah txswitch gave me the option of generic for $4 or yanwen which is like 2weeks tops for the same price. also they out of stock so lucky at least

[​IMG]

Last edited by squee666, Jun 13, 2020
  20. The8Darkness

The8Darkness Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Jeah site says shipping takes 6-12 working days, but for me its just 3-4 working days.
    Kind of weird since I am usually very unlucky with shipping (Have like 10 orders on alieexpress which should have arrived within 1-2 months, yet only 2 arrived after 2,5 months now and the others got their shipping time extended)

21. Astur_torque

Spain
    I see.. and they also raised the prices

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Received, Units,