1. JonJaded

JonJaded GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Has any news came out about what's actually coming on SX 3.0.0? Obviously support for the new exploit but I know tx has been teasing new features for like the past year and a half. I'm hoping they don't dissapoint. I can't even remember the last time sxos has added anything monumental.

2. Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    If only the new units will be able to accees the 1200 mhz gpu speeds.. one can hope.. But might be limited in the firmware..

3. MrSandstorm

MrSandstorm Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    I'd agree with you if the Switch was like a computer and Microsoft decided to go after someone for selling an OS that included their work without permission. This isn't the case, though.

Nintendo tries their best to make the Switch not work with anything that isn't their "authorized" software, and it may end up being necessary to use their stuff in order to run custom software.

Also, these devices are not exclusively meant for piracy. Whether they enable piracy or not is another discussion and honestly, pretty much irrelevant here. It's something like the "guns enable murder" debate, and better left alone.

Until companies (not just Nintendo) provide proper means for owners to use their devices as they see fit - again, like a computer where I can choose the software that runs on it - devices that break security measures are pretty much the only way for people to actually own the products they pay for.

4. Astur_torque

Astur_torque GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    nah.. that only happens in the states.. in Europe the companies don't have that power

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

There's something I can't understand...

Most resellers only receive money for telling the main store/factory/shop where to sent the packets... I can't get the point of this.. why don't you order directly to the chinese shop?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I don't agree with you.. the device is MINE I paid for the hardware. What if I want to boot Android in this device or using it for other reasons... what if I never boot Nintendo's official software

You are free whether you use it for pirating games or not. But I want this piece or harfware to make a decision whether to do it or not.

Nintendo licks my foot

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  5. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    One challenge is going to be how many homebrew devs will even look at hardware that can only be hacked via TX.

6. Astur_torque

Astur_torque GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Exactly

That reminds me when manufacters say the hardware is not yours, it's the company's... sorry but no you pay not just for the use of the software but also the hardware is enterily yours

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  7. DoomVirus

DoomVirus Newbie
    Newcomer

Switzerland
    Lite version parts reminds me of ps3 cobra ode.
    And the led is like "rghing"...nice!

Deleted User likes this.
  8. USUKDecks
    This message by USUKDecks has been removed from public view by Joe88, May 22, 2020, Reason: Off topic.
    May 21, 2020
  9. veenx0704

veenx0704 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    does this come with sx os license or no?

10. weatMod
    This message by weatMod has been removed from public view by Joe88, May 22, 2020, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    May 21, 2020
  11. squee666
    This message by squee666 has been removed from public view by Joe88, May 22, 2020, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    May 21, 2020
  12. JonJaded

JonJaded GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Both the core and the lite come with licenses.

veenx0704 and matias3ds like this.
  13. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Except none of the keys/binaries they include with their firmware are required for anything they do. Everything they include can be dumped in some way, they just wanted to do it the lazy way.
    Either way, it does include Nintendo's shit, so Nintendo is well within their rights to take it down if they want to.

SXOS includes patches that serve absolutely zero purpose outside of piracy (namely es patches), as such, I call it a piracy firmware.

14. 1NOOB

1NOOB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    lol piracy drm

15. rbtnt

rbtnt Newbie
    Newcomer

Trinidad and Tobago
  16. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

United Kingdom
    2 minutes into shit dubstep and he manages to finally align the flex cable.
    Also didnt even clean his cpu properly thermal between all caps and he has to pick cotton still stuck on.
    Proceeds to solder to caps first and then then2 pads which are solely there to keep the flex cable from moving which helps alignment and soldering.

Replaces the thermal on cpu.
    Cant say anything about above the copper sticker which is clearly not cleaned or replaced fuck me these shrek repairs.

Screenshot_20200522-011339_Chrome Beta.jpg Screenshot_20200522-011246_Chrome Beta.jpg

peteruk likes this.
  17. MrSandstorm

Newcomer

Brazil
    I honestly don't know enough about the Switch hardware to say anything for sure, but don't consoles usually have some form of hardware-level encryption? The PSVita, for example, has an encrypted bootloader that requires a hardware-level component with a built-in key to access. In order to run "non-authorized" software that key would be required.

It wouldn't make much sense to waste development time including a component that isn't required to do anything, and dumping keys is usually a complicated, time-consuming process that's completely out of reach for anyone that's not both highly knowledgeable on electronic design AND very familiar with the specific device in question. So including keys is pretty much a necessity if you want the average user to be able to run custom software.

Also, AFAIK these patches enable stuff like copying save data and installing software without a valid signature, not necessarily games. Also, the argument of being able to create backup copies of your games will always be valid, so no, it's not a "piracy firmware", and the possibility of doing the same things in different, maybe more morally pleasing ways doesn't change that.

BTW, Nintendo has made it pretty clear that they're perfectly capable and willing to defend their interests, so there's no point in arguing that they are "well withing their rights" to do something. They can fight for that notion on their own.

Last edited by MrSandstorm, May 22, 2020
  18. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

United States
    The key they hardcode is a (partially obfuscated) tsec_root_key iirc, which is the key that pretty much all of the non-console unique keys get derived from. AMS had a way of dumping it (sept) literally weeks before SX started hardcoding it.

es patches specifically are purely for installing pirated eshop titles, with no other uses/purpose, they’re not used/needed when running legitimate backups or homebrew.

MrSandstorm likes this.
  19. Xandroz

Xandroz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    hhhh so this dude gets picked up as a tester for his skills while i dont.
    jeez that guy is a complete noob.
    im not a pro in soldering but after seeing someone with that skill manage that install, i can call the install a walk in a park for me

20. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    The awful cleaning is what bothers me the most...

Deleted User, squee666 and Xandroz like this.
  21. Xandroz

Xandroz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    he didnt even bother to clean it and it still managed to work so id say that as a pass from xecuter.
    and the channel is called micro soldering repairs.
    that just made my day

22. MrSandstorm

Newcomer

Brazil
    You obviously know more about the Switch than I do, so I'll just trust you on the keys topic. Still, even if there's a viable method for dumping it, I think including them on the firmware makes life easier for users. I have no idea how (or if) copyright law applies to keys - can the keys by themselves even be considered intellectual property? And of course, different countries may have different laws.

About the es patches, yeah, I agree that something that specifically affects eshop tickets smells awfully like a piracy-specific thing, but I think the backup argument still applies. One may not have an internet connection that allows for re-downloading an entirely library if necessary (unstable, low bandwidth, data caps, etc...) and at some point in the future the servers will be shut down, so the ability to backup eshop titles may be necessary.

23. aos10

aos10 Yuuki chan

Saudi Arabia
    I just watched it and what the hell?????
    This video is very disturbing
    Even for me who only done very few soldering in the university.
    I'll be surprised if his device didn't brick after 10 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Received, Units,