1. Max_034

Max_034 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for the help, unfortunately it's not booting. I keep inspecting surrounding components for damage and nothing looks out of the normal. The flex does not seem to have any bridges so I am not sure what went wrong. Any ideas as to what could be the problem.

Deleted User likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Not booting meaning black screen and no logos?

3. Max_034

Max_034 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    That is correct, the screen does not turn on and nothing happens. With the chip on the only thing that turns on is the pink/blue light.

Deleted User likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Check the tegra caps and the side caps of the tegra. I had a v1 that would not boot with any chip + sd card = black screen

Boot.dat with no sd card would show on screen.

5. Max_034

Max_034 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    IMG_20200806_170803.jpg IMG_20200806_170746.jpg IMG_20200806_170739.jpg
    Thanks for the advice I removed the flex and it is still not booting. I notice I did some damage to one of the power cables but does not boot while plugged in either. I'll add pictures in a minute.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

After closer inspection, I have a feeling that the sp2 cap lost its solder o the left side. I remember someone posted about the caps falling off and the system booting normally, is that the case for the sp2 cap or the sp1?

Last edited by Max_034, Aug 7, 2020
    Deleted User likes this.
  6. squee666
    This message by squee666 has been removed from public view by shaunj66, Sep 7, 2020, Reason: At request of Nintendo.
    Aug 7, 2020
  7. Max_034

Max_034 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Yeah, I resoldered sp2 cap and still nothing. I guess something outside the CPU went bad but it's difficult to know what. How difficult is it to damage the nand connection/chip?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So I let the switch sit for a few minutes, removed the NAND and placed it back on, connected the battery and the screen turned on for a few seconds, and then it turned off. Could this be a power issue?

Deleted User likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Hard to say. Every core chip I thought has been bad has tested good so far. Did you use IPA to clean tegra? I have only had a couple bad lite chips.

Max_034 likes this.
  9. Max_034

Max_034 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Yes, I cleaned it after soldering. After removing the flex I saw flux under it. So I cleaned that off. I used cotton swabs which left some small strings but I don't think that would cause problems.

Deleted User likes this.
  10. r5xscn

r5xscn GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    A little warning to DIY installer, make sure your soldering system is grounded. You can kill electronics when your soldering tool is not grounded properly. ESD kills electronics.

masbass and Deleted User like this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

This is tough to diagnose

If ipa wasnt dried off a short would cause this

Nand corruption causes this

No nand clipped into mobo causes this

Other shorts cause this as well

Last edited Aug 7, 2020
    Max_034 likes this.
  12. Max_034

Max_034 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I see, thanks. I guess I'll let it sit for a bit to see if there was an issue with IPA not drying off as I did not use 99%, although it looks dry. What could cause NAND corruptions? I only removed it and plugged it onto the chip (and the reverse). If it is a short hopefully it didn't damage any components permanently.

13. Max_034

Max_034 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I gave up, thank you all for the help. As r5xcn mentioned, how do you know if your soldering iron is properly grounded? I didn't have issues with the soldering itself so I am afraid it was some sort of shortage that caused the problem (either from undried IPA, flux, or soldering iron). I have X-Tronic 4000 series station which looks safe enough. I'm using RA rosin flux paste (MG chemicals), which could be conducive when oxidized but should be good after cleaning. I've done smd and occasional pcb soldering so the soldering part was not too difficult. I'll get another switch and give it a second go.

14. r5xscn

r5xscn GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    https://www.hakko.com/english/maintenance/topic_station_type_2.html
    The ground should be from your house (the ground pin from 3 pin plugs).

But don't lose hope yet. Try to get someone to fix it for you. In my experience, bad soldering gun/stations can easily kill LEDs but not IC because of bad grounding.

Edit: You can also check it using your multimeter with AC voltage mode. Measure the solder tip and one of the point of your AC plug. Bad soldering stations usually have AC leak which can kill sensitive electronics.

Last edited by r5xscn, Aug 7, 2020
    Max_034 likes this.
  15. Max_034

Max_034 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ah I see, the station I have does have 3 pins so it is grounded. I will check for voltage leaks before my next install. Thanks for the encouragement, I’ll see if someone can fix it.

r5xscn likes this.
  16. iialaq01

iialaq01 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Try sending it to @ModderFokker619. He’s a super nice guy and trusted US installer. I hope it works out for you.

17. Grimlock97

Grimlock97 Member
    Newcomer

Austria
    did you plug the nand chip to the modchip? There are people forgotting this and they also get the pink light.

18. XD2020

XD2020 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Woohoo! I got my SX Core soldered in and SX OS booted up fine on the first try. :)

Took me awhile because I didn't want to strip any screws or knock/melt any components off the board. Also cleaning the thermal paste took longer than I thought, but some 91% IPA and a bunch of micro swabs cleaned it up pretty well. Makes me appreciate the pros on here and how quick they can turn around really good soldering jobs.

If you like electronics/soldering and want to give it a shot, go for it. (which is why I wanted to do it) But if you're unsure at all, the amount that the installers charge on here is well worth it. I think it took me about 3.5 hours and spent about $80 in tools.

19. spoggi

spoggi Member
    Newcomer

Denmark
    Cool..Another happy customer
    How did you do it..magnifying or microscope..
    I myself used a 5x magnifyer and a cheap solder iron from AliExpress

Last edited by spoggi, Aug 7, 2020
  20. spoggi

spoggi Member
    Newcomer

Denmark
    P00807-110254.jpg P00807-110605.jpg P00807-110616.jpg P00807-110645.jpg
    Gear i used for my Core install..
    And yes i did not use Flux.Did use a 2mm round solder tip for the pretinning.
    The soldertip in pic were god to clear the solder when i bridge the caps.

Last edited by spoggi, Aug 7, 2020
  21. Litvinkov

Litvinkov Member
    Newcomer

Ukraine
    So, after having initial problems with the "boot.dat?" showing up even with the micro-sd card inside, i have since successfully created nand backup and emunand and installed and played some games with no crashes. But i'm still experiencing some issues (except the micro-sd refusing to be seen sometimes):

1) sometimes when turning the console on after "true power-down" (holding the power button for 10-15 sec.) the led blinks blue and then goes out completely and nothing happens. After that, pressing the power button does nothing, only after another "true power-down" it starts up again. If i turn the console on after "regular" power-down, the led always turns green, but then there's another thing...

2) even when the led turns green, sometimes it crashes after the sx logo comes up, just black screen and that's it, not responding to power-on, the only thing left to do is same as before, another "true power-down". It happens both when booting normally (it boots into emunand by default) and if i press vol+ during sx logo and then select "boot CFW" in the menu. The "genuine boot" seems to always work correclty, so it means it has problems booting CFW sometimes? Why could this be? Did anyone else have these problems?

Last edited by Litvinkov, Aug 7, 2020
    Modificatorul likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Received, Units,