Switched from AK2i to R4i Gold (rev C) - Save games won't work

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Cabuzzi, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Cabuzzi
    OP

Cabuzzi Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2009
    United States
    I've searched, but I couldn't find anything specific to my problem.

I switched from an AK2i that just couldn't keep up with the 3DS updates (read here that it would never be compatible again), so I bought a couple R4i 3DS Gold (rev C) cards for me and my wife's 3DSs.

I got them from ZhuZhuChina (yet another recommendation from here) and they arrived within a few weeks.

I downloaded the latest Wood kernel, as well as flashing to the most current firmware. Everything works fine, except there is no existing savegame data when I load a ROM.

I did find this old thread that said to rename the .SAV files to .sav, but that didn't work:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/using-old-r4-save-file-on-new-r4i-gold.202480/

What am I missing here? Have I really lost all my savegames, or is there a way to recover/convert them from whatever format Acekard used to something the R4i card will recognize?

**EDIT**
    I just noticed that the games I tested actually had a compound extension (*.nds.sav). I'm trying to add the .nds before the .sav on all my old files now.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    What is the file extension used for your saves? .sav or .nds.sav?

Cabuzzi likes this.
  3. Cabuzzi
    OP

Cabuzzi Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2009
    United States
    Yup, I just edited my OP. I noticed a new file created for the game I tested. I'll report back in a minute if that worked.

4. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    You can also go into the settings and just set the save file extension from .nds.sav to .sav.

Cabuzzi likes this.
  5. Cabuzzi
    OP

Cabuzzi Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2009
    United States
    Gragh! I wish I'd known that before I renamed 50+ games. Oh well, I'm done and it seems to be working.

The only other question is I had lameboy installed on the AK2i. I copied everything over, but I'm not sure how to get it to work. I only had one game saved. It was a Zelda game (Minish Cap, maybe?). The savegame already had a similar extension (*.gba.sav), so I left it. Any tips on that one?

6. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Lameboy doesn't play GBA games. It only plays GB/GBC games and you don't need to rename their save extensions, they should work just fine.

Cabuzzi likes this.
  7. Cabuzzi
    OP

Cabuzzi Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2009
    United States
    Maybe my mind is completely gone.... but I remember playing it on the AK2i. If I select the game now, nothing happens (no load, error, nothing).

I guess it's possible that I never got it working and just left the files there... but I'm pretty sure I did. What is the preferred way to play GBA games on a R4i 3DS? Is it even possible?

Also, is there a "thank you" system? I appreciate your quick replies!

8. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Cabuzzi likes this.
  9. Cabuzzi
    OP

Cabuzzi Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2009
    United States
    The first link is working (kinda). I'm getting some minor graphical artifacts and sound glitches, though. Other than that, it seems to be working good.

I thought about the other cards, but the R4i Gold seemed to be the best supported.

10. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    The EZ-Flash 3-in-1 is a Slot-2 cart (GBA flash cart), not a Slot-1 like the R4i Gold (DS flash cart).

When using the EZ-Flash 3-in-1, people use it in conjunction with a DS (Slot-1) cart.

Cabuzzi likes this.
  11. Cabuzzi
    OP

Cabuzzi Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2009
    United States
    Duh. Not sure what I was thinking. I actually have that card. It's not like it fits in the 3DS though, right?

12. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Right, there's no native GBA support for anything past the DS Lite.

Cabuzzi likes this.