Hacking Question Switch won't be recognized by pc when in RCM Mode - "Unknown USB Device"

WhatIsRove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
After going through a bunch of posts with similar issues and no answers, I wanted to post mine hoping anyone can actually help me.

Currently I have the APX package installed directly from TegraRcmGUI.

Yet my pc still doesn't recognize the switch while it's in RCM mode and shows up in the device manager as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"
Although if I boot into the normal switch UI, my pc recognizes the switch as "Nintendo Switch"

I have attempted to use Zadig to install libusbK directly onto the unknown usb but that only returns with an error and the installation failing.
"Driver Installation: FAILED (Resource already exists)" and the driver reads as "(NONE)" and USB ID is "0000 0002" if that's relevant in anyway.

I have attempted this across multiple cables(Cable that came with the Pro Controller and a brand new data cable I bought today), multiple ports(USB 2.0 and USB 3.0) and multiple PCs.
Tried uninstalling the usb device from device manager then pluging it back in. Attempted to manually add the libusbK drivers through the device manager but doing that fails due to the usb already having "the best drivers" and if I try the 2nd way to manually add the drivers, the files from TegraRcmGUI don't have a .inf driver file. Also rebooted rcm mode and restarted my PCs a bunch.

My switch serial is XAJ70036488240 so therefore it should be unpatched.

I don't have a usb-c to usb-c cable to try Rekado.
Also yes my switch IS in RCM mode, as when I boot into it and plug it in, the screen stays black but my PC makes a sound confirming that it is on and connecting.

I have not used any third party docks or devices with my switch or the usb-c port of my switch. This is a first time homebrew of my switch.

tl;dr My pc won't read the usb device that is my switch while only in RCM mode and can't do my first install. pls help ;-;

Last edited by WhatIsRove,

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Didn't read the whole thing but Did you install the drivers? There is an install driver option in tegrarcm
If you installed it and it still didn't work then try to uninstall driver by going to device manager and uninstalling driver then reinstalling it

Evildood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you actually restart your PC after the driver install ? It matters here.
Delete the drivers, follow the instructions, make sure to restart(swear to god it does matter this time) try again.

Last edited by Evildood,

WhatIsRove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Did you actually restart your PC after the driver install ? It matters here.
Delete the drivers, follow the instructions, make sure to restart(swear to god it does matter this time) try again.
Yes I have deleted the drivers and restarted many times, with fast boot also disabled.

Evildood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shoot thats strange, my advice would be to pick up an otg adapter and try rekado. Also the shorter official c type cables always work but I dont have a single non ninty cable that will work so note that I guess.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After going through a bunch of posts with similar issues and no answers, I wanted to post mine hoping anyone can actually help me.

Currently I have the APX package installed directly from TegraRcmGUI.

Yet my pc still doesn't recognize the switch while it's in RCM mode and shows up in the device manager as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"
Although if I boot into the normal switch UI, my pc recognizes the switch as "Nintendo Switch"

I have attempted to use Zadig to install libusbK directly onto the unknown usb but that only returns with an error and the installation failing.
"Driver Installation: FAILED (Resource already exists)" and the driver reads as "(NONE)" and USB ID is "0000 0002" if that's relevant in anyway.

I have attempted this across multiple cables(Cable that came with the Pro Controller and a brand new data cable I bought today), multiple ports(USB 2.0 and USB 3.0) and multiple PCs.
Tried uninstalling the usb device from device manager then pluging it back in. Attempted to manually add the libusbK drivers through the device manager but doing that fails due to the usb already having "the best drivers" and if I try the 2nd way to manually add the drivers, the files from TegraRcmGUI don't have a .inf driver file. Also rebooted rcm mode and restarted my PCs a bunch.

My switch serial is XAJ70036488240 so therefore it should be unpatched.

I don't have a usb-c to usb-c cable to try Rekado.
Also yes my switch IS in RCM mode, as when I boot into it and plug it in, the screen stays black but my PC makes a sound confirming that it is on and connecting.

I have not used any third party docks or devices with my switch or the usb-c port of my switch. This is a first time homebrew of my switch.

tl;dr My pc won't read the usb device that is my switch while only in RCM mode and can't do my first install. pls help ;-;
Maybe try another OS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s