Discussion Switch vulnerable to a CDN anti-piracy like 3DS 11.8?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Dontwait00, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Dontwait00
    OP

Dontwait00 Unknown

Sep 3, 2017
    Italy
    As i have been looking on 3DS Scene, Freeshop and CIAngel and others CND tools, you cant download titles now! Witch is painfull... but i hope the Switch will not have this problem in the near future till i will download allmost every title i like on it, so then i can dump them... but Does the Switch have a anti-piracy thing, allready on the server, ready to be activated?

2. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Yes, they backported the anti-piracy measure from the switch to the 3DS.

3. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Switch has anti-piracy from the beginning. Just now, ninty added it on the 3ds as well ("port" of the switch one).

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  4. Dontwait00
    OP

Dontwait00 Unknown

Sep 3, 2017
    Italy
    But why you cant download now any of the 3ds titles from the server witch the switch still you can?

5. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    On on 3ds, Freeshop and ciangle create their own fake certs. But now, they need official real certs from Ninty in order to download from CDN, which is kinda impossible unless you have the certs.

6. Dontwait00
    OP

Dontwait00 Unknown

Sep 3, 2017
    Italy
    Like the wiiu?

7. :-infern:

:-infern: GBAtemp Legend

Jun 1, 2013
    United States
    Painful??? LOOOOOOL It was GOOD nintendo did this, thank god they are finally putting in measures to actively stop piracy.

Wolfy, MAXLEMPIRA and k-key like this.
  8. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    You do know that these measures aren't actually going to STOP piracy right? And applying these measures at the end of the 3ds's life cycle was just stupid and wasteful since anyone who pirated the 3ds already had what they wanted

focusonme, MAXLEMPIRA, oleg77 and 5 others like this.
  9. roflrabbit

roflrabbit Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2017
    Canada
    A very evil app still works, I'm exploring old DSiWare and Aura-Aura Climber is a fav that I used to own on an old-old system.

10. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    FreeShopNX will continue to work as long as Nintendo doesn't implement a drastic change to their CDN. However, it working specifically for you may be a different story. Banned client certificates are a proven thing, but as of now this only applies to public certificates. Who knows if Nintendo will ever decide to start banning individuals for downloading content off the CDN with pirated keys.

11. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Mexico
    actually nity is banning personal client cetificates there are reports, but we dont know why they are not banning all who use Nxshop maybe in a couple of weeks it will happen.

12. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    If that's the case, then that's very worrisome indeed. Definitely shows that it's a good idea to block telemetry in any way possible, and download titles from the CDN in the most "genuine" appearing fashion. I'd trust FreeShopNX with the genuine aspect of things, besides of course you not owning the software itself if you have an account connected to the system.

13. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Mexico
    that is the best thing of atmosphere it really blocks telemetry, but i think that the best could be emunand offline to avoid the ban, nity can detect everything that is not own on your console even with not acc linked

14. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    There's no genuine way to download with CDN tools, and if you own the game then just download it normally. Touching the CDN is just asking for Nintendo to burn your cert. They're focused on public certs for nos but they may one day just say: pirate = tls burn. At which point getting banned at all basically burns your cert.

Telemetry blocking doesn't protect from this because requesting downloads you don't own already results in almost immediate soft bans.

15. :-infern:

:-infern: GBAtemp Legend

Jun 1, 2013
    United States
    What the hell do you mean? Of course it will stop some level of piracy ... Kids can't just now and steal directly from Nintendo servers. Now they have to get cias and 3ds files making it a bit more harder.

16. Ashura66

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    It really wont stop piracy whatsoever. It might make it more difficult but it wont STOP it. Besides, anyone who pirated on the 3ds already got what they wanted out of the system so

17. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    People that want to pirate are going to pirate, regardless of whether that means visiting a site and downloading a rom or downloading straight from the CDN.
    Just like you said, it's only a bit harder. Arguably it doesn't take that much more skill or time to do.

Last edited by 8BitWonder, Aug 25, 2018
  18. Ashura66

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Especially since 3ds CIAS are super easy to find nowadays

19. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It's not really about stopping piracy entirely (which is obviously impossible), it's about making it more of a hassle. Having to seek out and download cia files, transfer and install them is much more work than just loading freeshop and clicking Install on something. It helps make piracy less attractive for the more casual, less "lol why ever pay for anything" crowd, in the same way making it easier to purchase legal copies does. If you know nothing about modded consoles or hacking, having someone install Freeshop on your console is pretty much painless to use, while having to dig through often dubious websites for direct download links is much more likely to scare them off.

20. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    As far as I understand, 3DS security is as of now *better* than Switch. I don't know why people keep saying 3DS "backported" it.

Switch requires a single genuine console certificate to download any game on the CDN. 3DS now requires a genuine ticket that corresponds to each individual game on a specific console. Its a far more granular system that is much more difficult to get away with sharing.

If anything Switch will eventually copy the 3DS system one day. They will need a firmware update to implement it though.

Razor83 likes this.