Gaming Switch ...the console made for ports and indies

panckage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yep that's why I bought mine! Games like binding of Isaac are sweet on the small screen... Or so I thought. I shake so I can't see the screen very well and then I get hit. I really shouldn't be holding the screen for such precision oriented games!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
A few are good but the rest its just trash , i watch the game trailers and think this indies are so cheap they dont even deserve to be played on an iphone , and Nintendo let them sell sold them on their console .
Like 95% of them were already on PSN/XBL, and it's idiotic to compare indies to 'freemium' phone games based on aesthetic alone. You're free to miss out on all the great indie games you want, but there are just as many people out there who don't like most AAA games because of their lack of creativity/originality. Also, less indies doesn't magically equate to more AAA releases, it would just mean less releases overall.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there's anything wrong with a GOOD indie title, it's just unfortunate that you have to wade through so much garbage to find them. But the good ones get a lot of attention and seem well publicized.

As far as ports, it kinda sucks that they're bringing over pretty much every Wii U title they can. I owned a Wii U, I've already played those games! But I do understand that it was a massively underperforming console so I see the argument for bringing over the games that a lot of people missed out on, and it's probably pretty cost-effective for Nintendo to do so. I'm not mad at them for operating like a business.

I also see the point that many people want to play games like Skyrim, DOOM, Wolfenstein, etc. on a portable system, even if the games don't perform as well as they do on other platforms. Me personally, I have very large hands so I find the Switch uncomfortable to use in portable mode for extended periods. I also feel like there's some games that I want to play portable because they lend themselves to that setup, and some I want to play on my TV with a Pro Controller. I'm certainly not very competitive in Splatoon 2 trying to wrestle with the Joycons and the awkward stick placement (for me anyway) but I love playing it with the Pro Controller.

I guess the option for the Switch to be both portable and docked is there though so whatever use case you fall into, you have options.

I just don't see much sense in deriding it as solely a 'port machine' because as I said, some of those games people would like to play in portable mode rather than be tied to their PC or console, or they may not own the other consoles where the games are available or a powerful enough PC. I think some people take for granted that owning that many entertainment systems (and especially a high-powered PC) are luxuries that not everybody can afford. I mean, for most of those titles I'd choose my PS4 or PC but I am thankful for having the means to afford those things. I think as time goes on we'll see more original Switch games that are very much worth playing, there's already a few on the horizon that I'm interested in.

It's like people tend to forget that the first few years after launch are a tough time for a new console, it often takes until about year 3 for the list of 'must-play' games to accumulate to an appreciable length. I've seen it happen with pretty much every console I've ever owned at launch dating back to even the NES days.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem I have is they release the ports at full price, like $60, if it was more like $20 as a budget title or even $30 at most, well, whatever, but I'm not buying Tropical Freeze for $60 on Switch when I already bought it for $50 new on Wii U when it came out, not matter what minor shit they embellished it with. I might download it as an .xci for sxos, tho (probably not in this case, while I appreciate the quality of the game, it just never really quite "clicked" with me anyway)

Reactions: mizorechan

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, with Breath of the Wild and Mario, and the upcoming Metroid 4, (and yes some good ports) I assure you, I have had more fun than with Xbox or PS4 and the "exclusive" titles for those. To say things like the title, is to be a butthurt just wanting to atract attention, or an unexperiencied noob in the gaming world. There are great games, and on the go or home. There`s no way to say trash about this console.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, with Breath of the Wild and Mario, and the upcoming Metroid 4, (and yes some good ports) I assure you, I have had more fun than with Xbox or PS4 and the "exclusive" titles for those. To say things like the title, is to be a butthurt just wanting to atract attention, or an unexperiencied noob in the gaming world. There are great games, and on the go or home. There`s no way to say trash about this console.
PS4 undeniably has some great exclusives too, but at least half my library is multiplats/remasters on that console as well. It's more an industry thing at current than an only Switch thing.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yep that's why I bought mine! Games like binding of Isaac are sweet on the small screen... Or so I thought. I shake so I can't see the screen very well and then I get hit. I really shouldn't be holding the screen for such precision oriented games!

you can always put it down somewhere and play with the joycons detached.

as for ports, I'm all for it. i'm playing all these indie titles my laptop cant run and they're often pretty well suited for mobile/in bed play.
as for the third party ports... i guess they'll continue trying to abuse the switch for a second wind in sales revenue and release games a little later but at higher prices.
but its fine with me, I can judge which games are worth the price.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I absolutely don't care about the indies.
I'd love to see at least more (solid) ports, but even there is a thirst right now. The first year of the Switch was great, this year my Switch is collecting dust.
The main reason why I now turn my Switch on from time to time, is to use the Game Boy emulator and play some Super Mario Land.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that when the indie scene really started to take off in 2012 that Nintendo should really push to get their WiiU and 3DS consoles lined up with some good exclusives. But that didn't really happen as well as I thought it would. The Switch on the other hand, shows promise as a Nindie machine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1