Hardware Switch super underpowered according to Respawn Entertainment

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hahaha trolling ? You ? the guy that calls one of the most respectable sources in the industry fake ? You who calls digital foundry fake ? Jezus christ that's the dumbest thing i've heard today that i just can't stop laughing
reported for trolling

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hahaha trolling ? You ? the guy that calls one of the most respectable sources in the industry fake ? You who calls digital foundry fake ? Jezus christ that's the dumbest thing i've heard today that i just can't stop laughing
most respectable my ass, only 80k view
respectable source would have over 1M of view

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally agree, anyone buying the switch for power is really not smart, but i'm excited to see how its new features can be used in games.
Clearly could be a interesting item in the Moo Moo Meadows track in MK9.

Other than HD Rumble are there really any new features or just refinements of gimmicks features?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but i'm excited to see how its new features can be used in games.
a) I imagine the joycons will be hacked six ways from Sunday like the wiimote before it, and like the wiimote before it I imagine most of the really cool stuff will happen on the PC.
b) can't you do that from the comfort of free behind your internet connection? Should something then come to pass (not the smallest if) can't you jump in later after prices have dropped?

reported for trolling
Please point me at where you think that was trolling? I will give it was less than diplomatically phrased but we are big boys on the internet and such things don't matter.

Speaking of framerates though I did knock my camera into 120fps mode, even if on Zelda I then went and played on the menu after doing so, during the London event. The lack of an external trigger/sync is not ideal but still it allows many things to be determined. Maybe I will finish editing everything and have a little session counting frames.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
People whos saying "only graphic is important" maybe can explain why Undertale is so famous and be almost a cult despite most of new-gen games, that on stream have more than one millions of downloads, more than selling of Infamous Second Son (i dont remember the title, anyway one of infamous for ps4 that had sold one millions of copies), considering that Undertale was created by one guy when infamous by a big developer team with high budget. Suck it up, "only-graphic" moviegames. People still talk about Undertale right now, that Infamous game it is already in the dust for quite a while

Reactions: ItsKipz

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is probably more the graphics vs aesthetics discussion. Though I would agree to a statement of there is a bit of a fetish for something dubbed realism in game graphics it is far from the whole story.

Anyway the general idea is

We like games. Most games are made to last 8-12 hours, 20 would be a long one and 40 is a few times a year. In the end we don't really care where we get them as long as we do.
Replaying games is possible but many times you wan something new.
20 hours is doable over a weekend without straining too hard.

This means if games is to be a hobby of yours you want lots of games, especially if you are not happy playing just any game and have tastes that run more specific. You are also going to want a maximum return on investment. For some this is amount of games, some say they want innovative stuff but I reckon they really mean they want something novel but that is also good.

On volume of games then one easy way to ensure this is to have many people developing for your system.
If you make an underpowered or strangely powered game system then it takes time and effort to port things to it, or indeed if you can make things for it then maybe time and effort to port things out from it to other systems. Time and effort that might well be spent more profitably.

Said economics means cool other games get made for other systems and that means you don't get to play them on yours, your system ends up looking less attractive owing to fewer games to play. Right now there are not so many versions of what Nintendo do either, third party efforts which did well at Nintendo's main game styles having fizzled somewhat during the n64 era, so looking in from the outside it might seem like you are missing out on something with them only doing for their consoles.

For Nintendo home consoles specifically then they have failed at it for the past few decades, and if you go look at the SNES top games (the last point they unarguably had the third party support) you will see many of them made by other companies than Nintendo. Even looking at their handhelds we see a similar trend with the rise of android and IOS knocking down the end of the DS, rendering the DSi a nice way to play DS games and then making the 3ds rather weaker than previous times, though in the end I am not too upset to see the end of a sort of monopoly.

Similarly undertale does seem to have lost some of its mindshare and is also probably an exception. There are hundreds of quirky indy games every year, not so many that get big.

Reactions: happydance

LinkBlaBla

This is Perfect!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a) I imagine the joycons will be hacked six ways from Sunday like the wiimote before it, and like the wiimote before it I imagine most of the really cool stuff will happen on the PC.
b) can't you do that from the comfort of free behind your internet connection? Should something then come to pass (not the smallest if) can't you jump in later after prices have dropped?
Speaking of framerates though I did knock my camera into 120fps mode, even if on Zelda I then went and played on the menu after doing so, during the London event. The lack of an external trigger/sync is not ideal but still it allows many things to be determined. Maybe I will finish editing everything and have a little session counting frames.

Even if you check the frame-rate it was a mere demo ... for the Controller being hacked to work for pc, i think it is a good thing i have some LOL fan friends that think about a combination between a joy-cons and the mouse i love the idea of a easy way to bring a new way to play!

I see why people are skeptic about the Switch but going on hate mode about it is very sad comparing frame-rate and graphic before the release is stupid to be honest , i mean it is clear that Nintendo don't intend to be similar to the Xbox One and Ps4, the Wii u case is the last console of the sadly Defunct Big N Ceo Satoru Iwata in an attempt to continue the dynasty of the Wii since it was a huge success .

Be doing this he intended to bring the Wii Dynasty into the new console the Wii u in a last effort of doing he last success console before passing away.... but failed miserably because of the lack of support of the people rejecting it because it was not clear if it was just a Wii upgrade ... so all 3rd party went away, letting the Wii u rotting away with with our dear Satoru Iwata . The spec didn't help as well but the console was a solid proof that Nintendo bring thing to the world not to be a powerfully machine but being a fun box.

The Nintendo Switch is Fan combined complain about the Nintendo put inside one thing it with some Dynasty of Satoru Iwata and some of the best idea i have ever seen , the biggest alliance Nintendo ever made with going with Nvidia and bringing new concept on controller a console that can push to 1080p should be sufficient as today 720p is very good for a 6.2 inch screen as i know some iPhone 6-7 still live with the 720p resolution as today ...

The Switch hate train should stop now!!! give it a chance people please... i am pretty sure it is a good deal for it point price and the games coming in should be sufficient for you over waiting fr new Nintendo biggest title to drop off and why not some big 3rd party game too i mean having 80+ games coming in is a solid line-up ahead in 2017 only!! Imagine 2018!! full years of new announcement Maybe a New Metroid? have fate in the console or leave it as it is if you don't like it.

Last edited by LinkBlaBla,
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Let's do smart comparisons. The Switch can be used as a portable console. Comparing it to the 3DS and the Vita, it destroys and knocks out these two in terms of graphics/resolution/processing power. Now the Switch can be docked to be played like a home console. According to all the rumors, its power is supposed to be somewhere between the Wii U and the original Xbox one (between 0.3 and 1.3 Tflop) If it reaches the range of 0.8-1 Tflop, it would be more than enough to handle modern games at a decent (not outstanding, decent) framerate and resolution. If it is weaker (ie about the power of a Shield), it's still fine to port some 3rd party games (FIFA) and is still crushing the Wii U in terms of power.

PS: anyone whining about the Switch tablet's resolution is strictly dumb. You are mixing up definition and resolution. The definition is 1280*720. The resolution is the number of pixels divided by the size of the screen and brought back to 1inch for example. And 720p on a 6-inch screen is good. I do have an iMac with a 1440p definition, but on a 27-inch screen, and that gives a resolution lower than the Switch :P

Last edited by StarTrekVoyager,

LinkBlaBla

This is Perfect!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let's do smart comparisons. The Switch can be used as a portable console. Comparing it to the 3DS and the Vita, it destroys and knocks out these two in terms of graphics/resolution/processing power. Now the Switch can be docked to be played like a home console. According to all the rumors, its power is supposed to be somewhere between the Wii U and the original Xbox one (between 0.3 and 1.3 Tflop) If it reaches the range of 0.8-1 Tflop, it would be more than enough to handle modern games at a decent (not outstanding, decent) framerate and resolution. If it is weaker (ie about the power of a Shield), it's still fine to port some 3rd party games (FIFA) and is still crushing the Wii U in terms of power.

It can be used as a handled.. Compare the 3ds to vita nothing else the switch isn't comparable to anything since it is not even out yet and im pretty sure it will be 1 tflop to 4 tflop in between or close to it and no thanks to old ports we add enough less old port = good thing!

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It can be used as a handled.. Compare the 3ds to vita nothing else the switch isn't comparable to anything since it is not even out yet and im pretty sure it will be 1 tflop to 4 tflop in between or close to it and no thanks to old ports we add enough less old port = good thing!

It can be compared for one reason: the Switch is meant to be used as a handheld. And you can play games on the go, out of your house, that's all that matters. And the Switch is the most powerful gaming handheld in the whole History of videogames and crushes all the rest. And having even 0.3 Tflop (Wii U) in a handheld is a technology miracle. Nintendo at least doubles this amount, and yet no one is surprised :P

LinkBlaBla

This is Perfect!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It can be compared for one reason: the Switch is meant to be used as a handheld. And you can play games on the go, out of your house, that's all that matters. And the Switch is the most powerful gaming handheld in the whole History of videogames and crushes all the rest. And having even 0.3 Tflop (Wii U) in a handheld is a technology miracle. Nintendo at least doubles this amount, and yet no one is surprised :P

But why would it be near 0.3 tflop if it is as powerful as top Nvidia gpu??????? it was stated on Nvidia website .. it is not an handled it is a home console rearranged to be used anywhere you want!

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lol, that doesn't mean anything, the Switch also needs a CPU. And it's technically impossible to pack 4 Tflops in a tablet unless Nintendo has alien technologies. It will be either a Tegra X1 or a Tegra X2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk