Homebrew RELEASE Switch Safety - XCI & NSP Verification Tool

TehCheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today I am proud the release Switch Safety! A tool that is used to check the MD5 or Switch files and verify if they are safe.

NOTE: This application is super beta, I only have the MD5 of one game saved in the verification document right now. I am currently searching for a trustworthy person to help me edit the master document with all the verified MD5 strings. If I can't find someone soon I will release the source code (probably going to do that anyway once I'm not so tired) so someone else can take on the responsibility.

Application Details:

* Windows only
* Retrieves the files MD5 and compares it to a verified master document hosted online
* Allows you to browse for files
* Progress bar (some large files can take a while to scan)
* Will download text document to PC from trusted, online host
* Application will display a message box letting you know if the file is safe

Screenshots:

W2aT6w9.jpg

XL5k9LR.jpg

EwRU0xc.jpg

Download: https://github.com/ThisIsCheez/SwitchSafety/releases

Edit: Posted the source code. I will not be perusing this project any further. Would be great if someone with more time picked it up.

Last edited by TehCheez,

TehCheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That for sxos or as homebrew befor we install would be great and needed

I have zero knowledge of the Switch programming language so I won't be able to design a Switch app for this :(

Also, if there's more people like me, I never connect my Switch to the internet and an internet connection would be required to grab the master MD5 list.

Great idea, hopefully someone with more knowledge and time than me can make that happen.

TehCheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Posted the source code. I will not be perusing this project any further. Would be great if someone with more time picked it up.

Rikikoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nice, would be good if you added signature checking for NCAs, and name to SHA256 verification.
Checking the name of an NCA against its hash is not useful, people can "spoof" that trivially.
Instead he can indeed verify the signature of the NCA, and the pfs0 hash table/romfs hash tree.

Reactions: tiliarou

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
including updates, dlc and potentially homebrew, the list of hashes is going to be gigantic and someone basically has to safeguard it and double check.
this might end up being problematic from a practical point of view

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The tool is just a md5 checker, there is nothing safe or verification to keep out any switch hurting file.

Why?

- The md5 has to come from a trustable source
- It needs to be checked before getting added (someone has to risk the test if not taken from own copy!)
- No valid check without md5
- The md5 might not always be the same (trimmed, header patches and so on)

A valid verification would dismantle the files and check for brick code like we had for psvita!

Everyone could use their prefered tool to check md5 (also i can modify files to make it my designed md5 if wanted to!)

Last edited by liomajor,

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Malicious homebrew still can defeat them.

It's always best to use clean trustable files and to do everything to not endanger your console for greater justice.

tiliarou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's actually the NCA hash that would need to be verified... as is, this tool is only a MD5 verifier with auto pull from a server for correct hashes...

BLCKBLuR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously wish someone would pick this project up.... OR does anyone know of another way to check if my NSPs are legit? I can't find a list of original game hashes anywhere...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass