Hacking Question Switch on 3.0.0, stay or update?

Godofcheese

Insane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
As the title says.

I have a Switch on firmware 3.0.0
I already use it with ReiNX to play games etc, but there are some games that I can't play that are on higher firmware

Is there a point anymore to stay on a lower firmware? I read something way back that it's better if you stay on lower firmware, like 3.0.0 still has the possibility of coldboot.
Tethered CFW seems like it's not going away anytime soon tbh, when you look at all the current CFW that are available

So, what do you guys think, stay, or update to for an example, 5.1.0

Stay strong, eat cheese.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can stay on firmware 3.0 since we have an exploit that works on all firmwares anyways but if you want to update, I highly recommend updating without burning fuses by using the homebrew application, ChoiDujourNX. Fuses are what prevent downgrades in the first place so if you do not burn them, you can downgrade in the future when 3.0 has access to another exploit .The best firmware for CFW is currently 5.1 so I would recommend updating to that firmware. Keep in mind that AutoRCM will be installed, however it is not nearly as dangerous as some people make it out to be.

Godofcheese

Insane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks for the replies
I'm not that fond of AutoRCM tbh, I like that you don't need the jig everytime you coldboot the device, but it messing with the nand is a bit scary tbh, especially after all the things I've read about it haha, dunno who to trust, so I'm trying to stay away from it, for now

So yeah...
Update normally, burn fuses, no going back to 3.0.0
Update with the guide linked above, use autorcm, write stuff to nand
Stay on 3.0.0 and enjoy the small amount of games, and wait ages for coldboot cfw

shiiiiet, I have to think about this lol

Thanks for the suggestions tho

kkcheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I suggest update and burn fuse. Autorcm is a bit headache if you forgot to charge your Switch.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies
I'm not that fond of AutoRCM tbh, I like that you don't need the jig everytime you coldboot the device, but it messing with the nand is a bit scary tbh, especially after all the things I've read about it haha, dunno who to trust, so I'm trying to stay away from it, for now

So yeah...
Stay on 3.0.0 and enjoy the small amount of games, and wait ages for coldboot cfw

I don't think there's a coldboot coming within the next year maybe a warmboot using a webexploit which will take longer to run that just putting jig/dongle into switch. On top of that webexploits are not 100 percent successful in which case it will take you 10 times longer.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
past week i was also on 4.1.0, and i wantes to play, Undertale, FFXV Pocket Edition among several ohter games.

I used ChoiDuJourNX +AutoRCM, and is the best thing that i can recommend.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies

So yeah...

The reason AutoRCM got a bad reputation is because of users blaming their own ignorance on the hack rather than being responsible and learning how it works and what it changes. I've spent time researching all of the myths and rumors about AutoRCM and compiled them in this thread.

When it first came onto the scene, people believed a Switch that had its battery run out with AutoRCM installed would be bricked. However this was soon debunked as it turns out the Switch will still accept charge even if its dead; the catch is that the charge rate is reduced because it is charging in RCM and that is because AutoRCM reduces the charge rate of the Switch in RCM.

Then people believed AutoRCM was draining the battery faster than normal Switches. This was also disproven because any shut downs from Horizon would cause a console with AutoRCM installed to reboot into RCM and RCM drains the battery at a rate of about 5%/hour. And since AutoRCM reduces the charge rate of the Switch in RCM, this led to falsely elevated battery levels. The only way to power down a console with AutoRCM is by powering it down in RCM such as with a manual shutdown (holding power button for 12 seconds) or using the Power Off function in Hekate (because it is loaded in RCM). Alternatively, you can simply keep the console in Sleep Mode as the battery drain is very efficient in this mode.

So as you can see, AutoRCM is harmless and can do more good than bad in the right hands. People who spread misinformation about AutoRCM does not understand how it works. Its a very useful hack and one used by people with internal trinkets/external dongles to simulate untethered coldboot. There are also other people who use AutoRCM without having updated their firmware without burning fuses because they don't want to scratch their pins or have access to a good hardmod to enter RCM with.

Godofcheese

Insane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The reason AutoRCM got a bad reputation is because of users blaming their own ignorance on the hack rather than being responsible and learning how it works and what it changes. I've spent time researching all of the myths and rumors about AutoRCM and compiled them in this thread.

When it first came onto the scene, people believed a Switch that had its battery run out with AutoRCM installed would be bricked. However this was soon debunked as it turns out the Switch will still accept charge even if its dead; the catch is that the charge rate is reduced because it is charging in RCM and that is because AutoRCM reduces the charge rate of the Switch in RCM.

Then people believed AutoRCM was draining the battery faster than normal Switches. This was also disproven because any shut downs from Horizon would cause a console with AutoRCM installed to reboot into RCM and RCM drains the battery at a rate of about 5%/hour. And since AutoRCM reduces the charge rate of the Switch in RCM, this led to falsely elevated battery levels. The only way to power down a console with AutoRCM is by powering it down in RCM such as with a manual shutdown (holding power button for 12 seconds) or using the Power Off function in Hekate (because it is loaded in RCM). Alternatively, you can simply keep the console in Sleep Mode as the battery drain is very efficient in this mode.

So as you can see, AutoRCM is harmless and can do more good than bad in the right hands. People who spread misinformation about AutoRCM does not understand how it works. Its a very useful hack and one used by people with internal trinkets/external dongles to simulate untethered coldboot. There are also other people who use AutoRCM without having updated their firmware without burning fuses because they don't want to scratch their pins or have access to a good hardmod to enter RCM with.

Thank you for this much needed information about AutoRCM :)

quick question tho, does ChoidujourNX work with ReiNX or do I have to use Hekate?

Thanks

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for this much needed information about AutoRCM :)

quick question tho, does ChoidujourNX work with ReiNX or do I have to use Hekate?

Thanks
First, Hekate is not a CFW; it is a bootloader aka tool that loads CFW, the default one being Atmosphere. Second, ChoiDujourNX works with ReiNX, Atmosphere, and SX OS V2.0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Just put McDonald's on it so they have motivation +1