Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did a search but couldn't find anything, so I thought I would ask here. I know there are ways to boot linux on switch from a PC/Mac/Android, but is there a way to boot linux from a dongle? If it's not possible (or at least not possible yet) I would love an explanation why.

pofer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to create a thread just to ask this, so... What's the current status of the switch hacking scene? I have been absent for about 2 months (somewhere after E3) and comming back I see a lot of info that's it is just too much to swallow (that's what she said) at the same time, can someone point out what's new? I know we are getting 6.0.0 today so is it safe to update if I use jigs?

sirelf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to create a thread just to ask this, so... What's the current status of the switch hacking scene? I have been absent for about 2 months (somewhere after E3) and comming back I see a lot of info that's it is just too much to swallow (that's what she said) at the same time, can someone point out what's new? I know we are getting 6.0.0 today so is it safe to update if I use jigs?
The consensus is do not update to firmware 6.00 until you see articles on gbatemp or one of the discord’s stating to upgrade. At the moment the only thing you are missing out on is the online saves. So far none of the released games require 6.00 I am sure that will change shortly but everything I’ve read says avoid updating. Even the cloud saves isn’t idea (yet)l it’s not working with all games; not even all the 1st party made games, and you have to pay for the online . If you have SX I suspect they will give the go ahead to update before the other groups (just a guess no inside info) but the last I went to their forum even they didn’t seem gung-ho.

WiiFoundLove

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Today i turned my hacked Switch on, and the battery status says 1.0%. I always shutted it off using hekate, so i don't know what went wrong. I have AutoRCM on cause i have updated it to the lastest FW without burning eFuses.

So is here a way to charge the switch without changing it's battery since it doesn't charge very good in RCM?

Last edited by WiiFoundLove,

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello!
I have an SX Pro. Can i use ReinX with the SX?
Thank you
Yes you may.
Today i turned my hacked Switch on, and the battery status says 1.0%. I always shutted it off using hekate, so i don't know what went wrong. I have AutoRCM on cause i have updated it to the lastest FW without burning eFuses.

So is here a way to charge the switch without changing it's battery since it doesn't charge very good in RCM?

You possibly made an error when shutting down or it somehow booted into rcm. The only thing you can do is slowly charge it in rcm until you have enough juice to boot into cfw and then normal charge from there. From what I have read 6 hours or so of charging in rcm should do the trick.
The answer depends on what your current status is. Are you hacked and how? The scene runs a large gamut so what areas are you interested in chatching up on?

As others have stated, hold off on 6.0 until more is known.

Last edited by thorasgar,

ZerOneX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys, picked mu switched yday... check it before to be sure that is the version 1.

According to the serial it is supposed to be on OFW 4.1.0.

I would like to kindly ask few questions.

1) Should I update it to 5.1.0 before doing anything? And it is possible to update online through nintendo network? well... I would bet that if it is stock, this should be possible and ok...

2) In my understanding we have 3 possibilities nowadays.... "free semi-untethered solution" (using a JIG/AutoRCM + TegraRCMGUI for example), a cheap and soldered permanent solution (switchMe) and an expensive solderless permanent solution (T-X SX PRO)
2.1) when I say a permanent solution I mean an automatic way to inject the payload..

3) Talking about CFW, which one is the best: ReiNX, RajNX, AtmosphereNX, etc...

Really sorry if I said anything wrong... I have less than 24 hours of switch hacking reading yet..... trying to get what I can... specially about the update as the 6.0.0 is gonna come today or tomorrow.. not sure yet

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

ZerO.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, picked mu switched yday... check it before to be sure that is the version 1.

According to the serial it is supposed to be on OFW 4.1.0.

I would like to kindly ask few questions.

1) Should I update it to 5.1.0 before doing anything? And it is possible to update online through nintendo network? well... I would bet that if it is stock, this should be possible and ok...

2) In my understanding we have 3 possibilities nowadays.... "free semi-untethered solution" (using a JIG/AutoRCM + TegraRCMGUI for example), a cheap and soldered permanent solution (switchMe) and an expensive solderless permanent solution (T-X SX PRO)
2.1) when I say a permanent solution I mean an automatic way to inject the payload..

3) Talking about CFW, which one is the best: ReiNX, RajNX, AtmosphereNX, etc...

Really sorry if I said anything wrong... I have less than 24 hours of switch hacking reading yet..... trying to get what I can... specially about the update as the 6.0.0 is gonna come today or tomorrow.. not sure yet

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

ZerO.
  1. You don't have to update but a lot of newer games, updates, and DLC require 5.X firmware in order to be played. If you must update, look up a tool called ChoiDujourNX
  2. The untethered solution is still sort of tethered since you have to be wirelessly connected to a network instead of physically connected to a device via USB and this exploit is good up to firmware 4.1. The permanent solution involves soldering any trinket inside of the console and then configuring AutoRCM as well so the payload is sent by the trinket when you power on the console, simulating untethered coldboot. The expensive solderless permanent solution is not really permanent since it involves plugging in the dongle (SX Pro is an external dongle) to send the payload whenever the console is in RCM. Its made less permanent if you plan to use the console docked meaning you can't leave the dongle plugged in.
  3. The only 3 CFWs available are SX OS, ReiNX, and Atmosphere(NX). RajNX is pre-compiled build of Atmosphere that uses an external bootloader (Hekate) instead of the one that was meant to be bundled with Atmosphere (Fusee). Of the 3, SX OS is the only one that costs money to use all of its features while the other 2 share the same capabilities currently. You can also easily swap between ReiNX and Atmosphere since CFW is just a bunch of files on the SD card; you would just launch a different CFW using your respective bootloader.

Reactions: ZerOneX

ZerOneX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
  1. You don't have to update but a lot of newer games, updates, and DLC require 5.X firmware in order to be played. If you must update, look up a tool called ChoiDujourNX
  2. The untethered solution is still sort of tethered since you have to be wirelessly connected to a network instead of physically connected to a device via USB and this exploit is good up to firmware 4.1. The permanent solution involves soldering any trinket inside of the console and then configuring AutoRCM as well so the payload is sent by the trinket when you power on the console, simulating untethered coldboot. The expensive solderless permanent solution is not really permanent since it involves plugging in the dongle (SX Pro is an external dongle) to send the payload whenever the console is in RCM. Its made less permanent if you plan to use the console docked meaning you can't leave the dongle plugged in.
  3. The only 3 CFWs available are SX OS, ReiNX, and Atmosphere(NX). RajNX is pre-compiled build of Atmosphere that uses an external bootloader (Hekate) instead of the one that was meant to be bundled with Atmosphere (Fusee). Of the 3, SX OS is the only one that costs money to use all of its features while the other 2 share the same capabilities currently. You can also easily swap between ReiNX and Atmosphere since CFW is just a bunch of files on the SD card; you would just launch a different CFW using your respective bootloader.

Thank you Drax, appreciate your reply....

1) I "should" update through ChoiDujourNX to avoid burning eFuses? Or it does not matter?? Did not get the diff from updating it online before doing any modification..

2) In your opinion which path should I follow? Should I try the less expensive/easiest way first (using a JIG/AutoRCM + TegraRCMGUI)?

3) all the 3 runs homebrews and backups in decent way?

Thank you very much in advance.

Xantos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys,

im running a Switch on FW 5.1 with SX Pro/ OS, since June.
Played some games in XCI Format and installed some games in .nsp Format - since the first start with SX OS, my switch is always in plane-mode.

How can I "go back"?
Just deinstall the nsp Games, format the switch and run original games, without getting a Bann?

Thanks in advance.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you Drax, appreciate your reply....

1) I "should" update through ChoiDujourNX to avoid burning eFuses? Or it does not matter?? Did not get the diff from updating it online before doing any modification..

2) In your opinion which path should I follow? Should I try the less expensive/easiest way first (using a JIG/AutoRCM + TegraRCMGUI)?

3) all the 3 runs homebrews and backups in decent way?

Thank you very much in advance.
  1. The reason I recommend ChoiDujourNX is that not only does it let you update without burning fuses, which primarily prevent downgrading in the first place, it is also useful for updating without connecting online to update your firmware in case you are worried about getting banned for doing so
  2. I personally use a paperclip and a USB cable which is the absolute cheapest way to hack a Switch
  3. SX OS may have slightly lower homebrew compatibility than the other 2 CFWs
Hi guys,

im running a Switch on FW 5.1 with SX Pro/ OS, since June.
Played some games in XCI Format and installed some games in .nsp Format - since the first start with SX OS, my switch is always in plane-mode.

How can I "go back"?
Just deinstall the nsp Games, format the switch and run original games, without getting a Bann?

Thanks in advance.
If you didn't make a NAND backup before hacking your console, it is currently impossible for you to return your console to a pre-hacking state. The best you could do is perform a factory reset but this does not wipe the console of everything, such as error reports generated in CFW.
Hello,
Will I need a clean NAND backup for EmuNAND?How was it on 3DS?
Not necessarily but it is recommended to have a clean NAND backup prior to setting up EmuNAND especially if you plan to be going online with it. On a related note, there is no estimated release window for EmuNAND.

Reactions: organig and ZerOneX

Houjin

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys
I just ordered a SX Pro and expect it to be delivered in the next days.

Now before I start using it I just wanted to make sure that I made all necessary steps if I want to remove all the traces from my system.

So I found this thread here, especially the NAND Backup & Restore section.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-universal-cfw-instalation-guide.517122/

Is this everything I have to do in order to completely remove all the information that I used a CFW once I restore it?

And if I am launching hekate through the SX OS menu, are there already some information about it on my NAND?
Is it more/less safe to launch hekate through SX OS or by injecting the payload from my computer?

Thanks in advance!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is emunand likely to protect us from a ban.

I can't remember how it was in the 3ds days
EmuNAND was used for a completely different purpose during the 3DS days. Before we had coldboot exploits, we had firmware specific hacks meaning that we couldn't be on the latest firmware to enjoy online play while having access to homebrew/CFW. So EmuNAND was essential for people who wanted to play online on their hacked 3DS but didn't want to buy a second one for online access. Since the exploit we have already works on all firmware, EmuNAND is not as essential but still needed since its not the holy grail like B9S on the 3DS. And because Nintendo stepped up the security on the Switch, many people got the idea for using EmuNAND as a way to separate their hacks from legitimate online play. Now on the 3DS, bans were random and inexplicable so EmuNAND wasn't very useful back then for preventing a ban. The ideal setup for avoiding a ban with EmuNAND is by keeping all hacks in the offline EmuNAND partition while going online legitimately in SysNAND; this should make it very hard for Nintendo to ban you (but not 100% impossible).
Hey guys
I just ordered a SX Pro and expect it to be delivered in the next days.

Now before I start using it I just wanted to make sure that I made all necessary steps if I want to remove all the traces from my system.

So I found this thread here, especially the NAND Backup & Restore section.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-universal-cfw-instalation-guide.517122/

Is this everything I have to do in order to completely remove all the information that I used a CFW once I restore it?

And if I am launching hekate through the SX OS menu, are there already some information about it on my NAND?
Is it more/less safe to launch hekate through SX OS or by injecting the payload from my computer?

Thanks in advance!
As long as the first thing you do on a hacked console is back up the NAND, it'll be almost as clean as if it was never hacked in the first place. When it comes to injecting payloads, it doesn't matter what device you use to launch it however if you want to minimize the amount of steps and alterations to your NAND, I would highly recommend loading Hekate directly to dump the NAND rather than chainload it from SX OS.

Last edited by Draxzelex,
Reactions: Houjin

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
EmuNAND was used for a completely different purpose during the 3DS days. Before we had coldboot exploits, we had firmware specific hacks meaning that we couldn't be on the latest firmware to enjoy online play while having access to homebrew/CFW. So EmuNAND was essential for people who wanted to play online on their hacked 3DS but didn't want to buy a second one for online access. Since the exploit we have already works on all firmware, EmuNAND is not as essential but still needed since its not the holy grail like B9S on the 3DS. And because Nintendo stepped up the security on the Switch, many people got the idea for using EmuNAND as a way to separate their hacks from legitimate online play. Now on the 3DS, bans were random and inexplicable so EmuNAND wasn't very useful back then for preventing a ban. The ideal setup for avoiding a ban with EmuNAND is by keeping all hacks in the offline EmuNAND partition while going online legitimately in SysNAND; this should make it very hard for Nintendo to ban you (but not 100% impossible).
As long as the first thing you do on a hacked console is back up the NAND, it'll be almost as clean as if it was never hacked in the first place. When it comes to injecting payloads, it doesn't matter what device you use to launch it however if you want to minimize the amount of steps and alterations to your NAND, I would highly recommend loading Hekate directly to dump the NAND rather than chainload it from SX OS.
Thank you for being so concise, I'm in a unique predicament, I use my switch with SX OS and have been loading xci's since it was released. I installed a few nsp's but deleted them pretty much straight away and haven't been banned as of yet, mind I only go online once every month or so to update my games then delete the WiFi settings again. Never played online, nor do I want to.
I have had no error messages saying I'm banned and to be honest I'm not really bothered about being banned if we are going to be charged, however I don't want to be banned incase one day I choose to go online. Pain in the ass really there a few indies I want on the switch such as celeste and hollow knight that I already own on ps4 and don't want to double dip

PurplePolePuncher

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I know you can't boot an OS (CFW or official) using an exfat sd card without the exfat update, but can I boot into hekate to make an clean nand backup using an exfat sd card without the exfat update?

rennyboggins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I just bricked my switch someone please help. I am trying to get micro sd ex fat support on my console

I was following this guide:

I followed the guide, put the files on my sd card and put it in my Switch
Then I booted RCM mode, navigated to ini.emmc and selected it then injected a payload using Tegra RCM gui pc program
then I use and then on my computer I got a promt to format something and I did that

And then he said you need to have a game with the same firmware version to patch and that's when I disconnected my Switch from PC and ever since I can't boot I just get error screen saying to contact Nintendo support ect. I can't even boot into recovery mode.

should I return my switch to the shop?

Last edited by rennyboggins,

xlxandroidexlx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a nintendo switch console. I download today all the files for install ReiNX. My questios is all the consoles is compatible with this ReiNX and what firmwares is compatible. I have 5.0.1? I try to put this console in download mode but don't work. I wait for my Jit Tag . Any Help?

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have a nintendo switch console. I download today all the files for install ReiNX. My questios is all the consoles is compatible with this ReiNX and what firmwares is compatible. I have 5.0.1? I try to put this console in download mode but don't work. I wait for my Jit Tag . Any Help?

when did you get your switch? If it was earlier than the middle of th year it should work no issues once you are in RCM mode.

There are guides to check if it's compatible. such as the switch information by serial number

Last edited by Adran_Marit,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself