Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe I've missed it as I've not read through any of the guides thoroughly, but I've a couple of methods of upgrading the firmware without burning fuses yet don't know how I'm supposed to downgrade back again.
How does someone do the downgrade?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I've missed it as I've not read through any of the guides thoroughly, but I've a couple of methods of upgrading the firmware without burning fuses yet don't know how I'm supposed to downgrade back again.
How does someone do the downgrade?
The tutorial for updating without burning fuses works for downgrading too. Just look for your original firmware online or grab it from an .XCI dump (step 5 basically). The alternative would be to restore a NAND dump of the firmware that matches the number of fuses burnt (which the guide forces you to make a copy of in step 1).

Reactions: Rune

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The tutorial for updating without burning fuses works for downgrading too. Just look for your original firmware online or grab it from an .XCI dump (step 5 basically). The alternative would be to restore a NAND dump of the firmware that matches the number of fuses burnt (which the guide forces you to make a copy of in step 1).
Ah ok. I thought the NAND restore was for saving bricks or something. Thanks.

Regarding the other method, how does someone install specific firmwares manually? Can you install them like NSPs? And if so, is this how you'd do firmware upgrades going forward if you received a complete online ban like Nintendo are currently doing?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding the other method, how does someone install specific firmwares manually? Can you install them like NSPs? And if so, is this how you'd do firmware upgrades going forward if you received a complete online ban like Nintendo are currently doing?
Hypothetically yes as I believe some of the 3DS system updates were converted into the equivalent .CIA version but since we do not have a proper .NSP converter tool or .NSP equivalents of those updates, we cannot do so at the moment. I would imagine someone would begin work on this as Nintendo has proven that they will ban users from official system updates.

Reactions: Rune

IshipMcHanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey! I am really sorry for this stupid question, but I just could not find any proper answer!

Is there currently any (non hardmod or Dongle) way, to install homebrew stuff, like Lakka.tv on a switch which has a firmware between 3.0.1 and 5.0? If not, is there any easy to follow tutorial on hardmods? Thanks a ton!

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey! I am really sorry for this stupid question, but I just could not find any proper answer!

Is there currently any (non hardmod or Dongle) way, to install homebrew stuff, like Lakka.tv on a switch which has a firmware between 3.0.1 and 5.0? If not, is there any easy to follow tutorial on hardmods? Thanks a ton!
Firmware versions 1.0 to 3.0 had the Pegaswitch exploit that let you run homebrew, but NOT Lakka. Everything else needs a hardmod/dongle.

If you're issue is having to buy addition equipment, the bare minimum you can get away with is having a USB C cable to plug your Switch to a PC, and a paperclip or something to trigger RCM mode.

IshipMcHanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Firmware versions 1.0 to 3.0 had the Pegaswitch exploit that let you run homebrew, but NOT Lakka. Everything else needs a hardmod/dongle.

If you're issue is having to buy addition equipment, the bare minimum you can get away with is having a USB C cable to plug your Switch to a PC, and a paperclip or something to trigger RCM mode.

Oh okay, thanks! I am pretty new to all of this, and got basically no idea, so I guess I mixed stuff up lol (well, I've installed homebrew on a few 3ds before, but like thats a cakewalk, even if youre completely new to this like me).

I already got an usb c cable, but is the paperclip stuff risky at all? Like can you damage the hardware in some way? Also, does it work on >3.0.1? Thanks :P

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh okay, thanks! I am pretty new to all of this, and got basically no idea, so I guess I mixed stuff up lol (well, I've installed homebrew on a few 3ds before, but like thats a cakewalk, even if youre completely new to this like me).

I already got an usb c cable, but is the paperclip stuff risky at all? Like can you damage the hardware in some way? Also, does it work on >3.0.1? Thanks :P
The paperclip thing works on all firmwares. Basically you're taking out the right joycon and using a paperclip to touch the 10th pin on the inside whilst powering on the device holding the volume up button. Getting to touch that 10th pin is tricky, which is why people use a 3d print jig to do it perfectly for you. With a paperclip you might start poking around and potentially damage the pins.

IshipMcHanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The paperclip thing works on all firmwares. Basically you're taking out the right joycon and using a paperclip to touch the 10th pin on the inside whilst powering on the device holding the volume up button. Getting to touch that 10th pin is tricky, which is why people use a 3d print jig to do it perfectly for you. With a paperclip you might start poking around and potentially damage the pins.

Oh okay, thanks! But if I just dont power off my switch, I basically just do this once in a while right?

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh okay, thanks! But if I just dont power off my switch, I basically just do this once in a while right?
Yeah, you do it once and then just never power off your Switch. Just use standby all the time. But bare in mind that if you forget to charge it, or if you remove the SD card, you're going to force a shut down. So I'd suggest leaving it in the dock when you're not using it. You literally just reminded me to check out my own Switch and the battery was completely dead from not shutting down over a week ago. Now its taking ages to recharge back up again. :lol:

IshipMcHanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, you do it once and then just never power off your Switch. Just use standby all the time. But bare in mind that if you forget to charge it, or if you remove the SD card, you're going to force a shut down. So I'd suggest leaving it in the dock when you're not using it. You literally just reminded me to check out my own Switch and the battery was completely dead from not shutting down over a week ago. Now its taking ages to recharge back up again. :lol:
Awesome, good to know. Will one charge last overnight in standby?

And well, I am sorry for you lol

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome, good to know. Will one charge last overnight in standby?

And well, I am sorry for you lol
Yeah, it should do. But I'm guessing the game you have running in the background whilst paused might have some influence on how long it lasts. Either way you'll most likely get more than a day out of it.

Thatcher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I have another switch on 4.0.1 and am wanting to update it to 4.1.0.

Is there an "official" offline way to do this without going higher?

I know there is the method of updating without burning fuses but I'm wondering if I can get a cart with 4.1.0 and update that way.

Thanks

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That depends on the type of ban (severity) Nintendo have been banning people from online gaming and in some more extreme cases banning all online functionality completely (system updates)
Thats what I meant :)
A complete ban.
Would there be a way to update with hacks?

Like the CIos and wad files for the wii

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I have another switch on 4.0.1 and am wanting to update it to 4.1.0.

Is there an "official" offline way to do this without going higher?

I know there is the method of updating without burning fuses but I'm wondering if I can get a cart with 4.1.0 and update that way.

Thanks
That would involve converting the update on the cart into a .NSP because loading a .XCI with the update will fail to update (it will say something like insert cartridge). Anyways, until we get a proper .NSP converter, you could ignore certain parts of the updating without burning fuses guide if you know which steps do what. You could also use the offline exFAT update guide to do it too since it installs a firmware update and the exFAT update simultaneously.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya