Switch New unpatched with 4.1.0 or used 2.1.0

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by steffxxx, Aug 31, 2018.

1. steffxxx
    OP

steffxxx Member

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2015
    Hi
    I can buy one of these Switches, which one would you recommend for hacking now or in the near future?
    New unpatched with 4.1.0 or used 2.1.0
    The only difference I see in "firmware status" thread is no webkit exploit in 4.1.0. Would this be an issue?
    Money wise, either is fine for me
    If webkit exploit is not that important, maybe 4.1 is better so it works with more games that require higher firmware?
    Thanks very much

2. kramer987

kramer987 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2008
    United States
    u get the one with lower fw and upgrade to latest fw without burning fuses. that's all. any other webkit exploit nonsense is old news

Milenko and Hayato213 like this.
  3. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    If you have the disposable income, I'd say BOTH.
    With the new FG-immune ipatched Switches in the wild, along with the incoming Mariko Switches, imo any Switch that is vulnerable to FG is soon going to be rare and most probably priced MUCH higher than they are now.

I'd upgrade one to 5.1 without burning fuses, and use it with nogc (so that I can go back by restoring a NAND backup, with no damage to fuses or cart fw).
    Personally, I'd use the used one so I can keep the "new" unit in pristine condition, not get any minor scratches on it or whatnot, but ymmv.

Last edited by bundat, Aug 31, 2018
  4. steffxxx
    OP

steffxxx Member

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2015
    thanks both
    I guess there is no point to buy 4.1.0 AND 3.0.2 as they are both in the same "bracket/category" ?!

5. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    There’s a very small chance that 3.0.2 and below could get coldboot

Last edited by ZachyCatGames, Sep 1, 2018
  6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I'd get whichever one is cheaper. Money aside, I'd get the 2.1.0 Switch for the possibility of a coldboot exploit.