Hardware Switch microsd cards too small :( tips for installing as much games as possible

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Disclaimer: Please don't come with "you'll never play this much games or delete what you dont play"

You don't know how hardcore gamer I am, and I do revisit games from time to time i have completed on weird moods or whatever.
The goal is to have every single "somewhat" interesting switch game as an icon on the switch. (wether installed or not, but preferably able to run right away)
The thing with RCM'ing your switch you need to do your payload each time making a reboot even more of a hassle, and a big sd preferable.
Also not being able to make folders or re-arranging your icons is a big miss and pain right now with many games, making having a lottle of games somewhat inconvenient.

So I have now around 850GB switch library.. I have to take into account this library will continue to grow.
400 GB sd =370 GB
That means I would need 3x 400 gb sd to fit everything on. which is 1110 GB. with 260 GB free space to spare.
This would cost 417 Euro's at this moment.

What I can do is Install every single game
Then move out their game files of the games I find Priority "B or C class" and just keep "A class" Priority actual game files on the singular 400 GB sd i will buy.
And then install the next
So all icons are present
Eventhough not all game files are
That's an idea..
But not being able to organize folders etc. is gonna make that a pain
Or else I could make a folder "installed" and "moved out"

Or what I can do is buy mutiple sd's, hope for switch firmware update that allows proper icon management. and keep turning off switch and replugging sd's for each game. (which would be a TOTAL pain, because you need offsite documentation as to which game is on which SD card...) Very impractical.
Has anyone tried removing the sd card while the switch is on BTW? isn't there a homebrew that allows you to "unmount the SD card"?

What do you guys think for now?

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's a 512gb micro SD card coming out from Samsung (when the Note 9 comes out), but that's obviously not going to help you all that much. Lets face it, there's only one answer to your problem and its the one you don't want to hear.

Reactions: DinohScene

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Answering some questions:
Removing the SD with the switch turned on will trigger a message and the console will reset (and if you have autoRCM it will get on RCM). There isn't yet a method to do a hot swap of microSD. You can mitigate using ftpd with homebrew menu or using this https://github.com/jakibaki/sys-ftpd to let ftp run on sysMenu. Using ftp you can manage your game files without removing the microSD (beware of slow speeds).
Other than that I can't help with your hoarding problems.

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The process I have for this atm is to install the games I'm currently playing via tinfoil, with the .nsps ready to go on my NAS that I can copy across via FTP when I wish to play them. Using checkpoint, I can backup the saves as need be.

If you use the latest build of tinfoil you have the option to install to NAND as well. I've been installing my smaller games, such as Puyo Puyo Tetris, to the NAND to save space on the SD card.

Reactions: Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wish I have this much free time ...
Hah. i am disabled, so no job. so i spend most of my time in my life gaming.
I imagine most people don't have this luxury as to gaming.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The process I have for this atm is to install the games I'm currently playing via tinfoil, with the .nsps ready to go on my NAS that I can copy across via FTP when I wish to play them. Using checkpoint, I can backup the saves as need be.

If you use the latest build of tinfoil you have the option to install to NAND as well. I've been installing my smaller games, such as Puyo Puyo Tetris, to the NAND to save space on the SD card.
I have all my NSP on my NAS aswell. How do you FTP them over? isn't that taking a long long time? Whats your transfer speed?

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now that I think about it, considering you're willing to spend so much on large memory cards, your best solution might actually be to buy a second Switch console with a separate memory card inside.

I have two Switch's. Bought a cheap preowned one off eBay with no accessories.

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I have all my NSP on my NAS aswell. How do you FTP them over? isn't that taking a long long time? Whats your transfer speed?
Okay I am sorry to hear that, although I don't really agree with spending most of the time playing game.

Back to your question: High internet speed nowadays combined with small game sizes on NSW help getting games a lot. Want a new game? No problem, I can get it ready to play in just a few hours at most. No need to store everything offline at such high cost and time to manage them.

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

ftpd. You have to take note of the IP from the internet settings menu, as it doesn't display correctly within ftpd.

Transfer speed via wifi is ~8MB/s. It generally stays around 7-8 MB/s range but can occasionally get up to 9 MB/s.

I'm considering getting an ethernet adapter to see if that improves speed for larger games.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah man, just don't.
take 5 games, play them, throw them out cause you'll never come back to them anyways and take the next 5 till you're done.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont worry fam I gotcha back :toot:

That one goes into the Switch:

81004g-WurL._SX355_.jpg

That goes into the SD card slot on the other end:

HTB1Kbx9KpXXXXX7XXXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg

And finally this in the USB slot:

676533430_1_644x461_vneshniy-disk-seagate-backup-plus-hub-8tb-35-usb-30-external-black-severodonetsk.jpg

This will fix all problems!

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay I am sorry to hear that, although I don't really agree with spending most of the time playing game.

Back to your question: High internet speed nowadays combined with small game sizes on NSW help getting games a lot. Want a new game? No problem, I can get it ready to play in just a few hours at most. No need to store everything offline at such high cost and time to manage them.
"in a a few hours" ... this is what I don't like. When I feel like playing a game it has to be plug and play.
With the vita im also getting crap wifi speeds like 2000 KBPS is why I ask..how the speed is here.
But thanks for letting me know that option excists. Also Im hearing corruption issues when using FTP...

ftpd. You have to take note of the IP from the internet settings menu, as it doesn't display correctly within ftpd.

Transfer speed via wifi is ~8MB/s. It generally stays around 7-8 MB/s range but can occasionally get up to 9 MB/s.

I'm considering getting an ethernet adapter to see if that improves speed for larger games.
Actually I have an USB network adapter lieing here. would that help? :D
Not sure if it's compatible.. It's Model USB2-E1000 from the "brand" Plugable. USB 2.0 Gigabit lan

I guess ill try it in a few minutes

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chrisssj2 said:
Actually I have an USB network adapter lieing here. would that help? :D
Not sure if it's compatible.. It's Model USB2-E1000 from the "brand" Plugable. USB 2.0 Gigabit lan

I guess ill try it in a few minutes

This is interesting indeed! I'd love to hear what sort of speeds you get. I know Nintendo do a USB 3 one, but hopefully the one you have shows an improvement.

Slightly off topic but noticing your username, are you a CS:GO fan or is that complete coincidence? :D

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A 400gb micro SD card costs about as much as a preowned Switch tablet with no accessories, maybe more.

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is interesting indeed! I'd love to hear what sort of speeds you get. I know Nintendo do a USB 3 one, but hopefully the one you have shows an improvement.

Slightly off topic but noticing your username, are you a CS:GO fan or is that complete coincidence? :D
I tried it, but it seems the USB network adapter is not getting a MAC. so it seems its not detected by the switch? I don't need to reboot it or download some addon for it right?
No haha never played CS GO. but played CS 1.6 yeaaars ago. How so? my name is unique i thought.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: An already modded one with some games