Hacking Question Switch from SX OS to Atmosphere

AronR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am interested in switching to Atmosphere for multiple reasons. Mainly because of its regular updates, extensive homebrew support and ability to overclock which I really want to do for dreamcast emulation. However I am a bit hesitant for the following reasons...

1) All my games are installed onto the NAND or SD card using the SX menu. These were installed onto the system using both NSP and XCI files... Will these games still launch once I switch over to Atmosphere? I know XCI files cannot be mounted in Atmosphere, but I never did that in SX OS anyway.

2) I like how easy it is to enable/disable stealth mode and FTP server in the SX menu. Is switching on/off a DNS more complicated in Atmosphere? Can you have FTP transfers running while using other apps?

3) I like installing NSP/XCI files from a USB HDD onto my switch that has a FAT32 SD card. I know Atmosphere does not support HDD. However, is there a straight forward and reliable method of installing large NSP/XCI files from an external source, without having to copy them over onto the SD card?

Thank you very much for any help on this. I want to get going with Atmosphere but these 3 concerns are stopping me.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
1. Everything installed will work as it should (as long as you get sigpatches)
2. You don't want to turn off the DNS. Otherwise, you need to go to wifi settings and enabling/disabling manual DNS.
3. Goldtree (or something similar to it)

p4rma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also thinking of switching over however, I have emunand on sysnand. Hopefully the emunand m4xw is working on is out soon though!

HexadecimalMantis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also thinking of switching over however, I have emunand on sysnand. Hopefully the emunand m4xw is working on is out soon though!

m4xw's emunand supposedly will support SX's partitioned emunand out of the box iirc. That should make switching easier for most SX users.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the great thing about all these CFW's. You don't have to "switch". You can use them all. Some have better features than others. I love using all three at the same time! I just choose each boot which one I want.

Hint: I use trinket as a modchip. Turn it on, boot to SX emunand or Atmos, ReiNX, or stock. No PC, no phone and no jig involved.

Last edited by Kafluke,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am interested in switching to Atmosphere for multiple reasons. Mainly because of its regular updates, extensive homebrew support and ability to overclock which I really want to do for dreamcast emulation. However I am a bit hesitant for the following reasons...

1) All my games are installed onto the NAND or SD card using the SX menu. These were installed onto the system using both NSP and XCI files... Will these games still launch once I switch over to Atmosphere? I know XCI files cannot be mounted in Atmosphere, but I never did that in SX OS anyway.

2) I like how easy it is to enable/disable stealth mode and FTP server in the SX menu. Is switching on/off a DNS more complicated in Atmosphere? Can you have FTP transfers running while using other apps?

3) I like installing NSP/XCI files from a USB HDD onto my switch that has a FAT32 SD card. I know Atmosphere does not support HDD. However, is there a straight forward and reliable method of installing large NSP/XCI files from an external source, without having to copy them over onto the SD card?

Thank you very much for any help on this. I want to get going with Atmosphere but these 3 concerns are stopping me.
1) nsps will work, games you installed as xci via the SX loader won't
2) no idea
3) yeah, tinfoil and nut, via USB from pc
1. Everything installed will work as it should (as long as you get sigpatches)
2. You don't want to turn off the DNS. Otherwise, you need to go to wifi settings and enabling/disabling manual DNS.
3. Goldtree (or something similar to it)
No, games that he installed from xci will not work in atmosphere.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
1) nsps will work, games you installed as xci via the SX loader won't
2) no idea
3) yeah, tinfoil and nut, via USB from pc

No, games that he installed from xci will not work in atmosphere.
How come? I used some program to install XCIs (it converted them to NSP) and it worked flawlessly on ams. What else might he be using?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How come? I used some program to install XCIs (it converted them to NSP) and it worked flawlessly on ams. What else might he be using?
Well probably the built in installer in the SX menu, like he stated. If you install them with tinfoil they'll work. But not if you install them with SX menu, then they will throw errors on Atmosphere.

Kubez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can use a usb cable to install nsps from your computer if I remember right. Stealth mode Is basically 90DNS, also I don’t think the games you installed on sx os will carry over but I could be wrong.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
No need to switch , you can use both and have ALL the benefits instead of limiting yourself. Just dual boot - like has already been said.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Imo sx os is kind of meh.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, In my opinion SXOS - is great, so are some of the app for it that you need a licence for such as SX Dumper. Having the options of Both/All firmwares (and apps) is better than limiting yourself to only 1 firmware.

Some people will keep their old cathode ray tube TV because it works!, others will upgrade and use a UHD 4K flatscreen - with many options, because they can and it has far more features. I know what kind of guy I am, and it's not the old CRT type.

Last edited by mrdude,

FabioCapela

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why I haven't switched from SXOS yet:
- XCI support: by itself it's not that important, but when you also consider custom-made XCI files that include all updates and DLC, it allows for much easier game management; just move individual files in or out of the SD.
- HD storage support for XCI files: this means I can have custom XCI files on an external drive, connected to the dock, and use those as needed without the need to copy things over to the SD card or install anything.
- Stealth mode: yeah, it's just 90DNS, but it's self-contained, not depending on any external server to do its job. The lack of an equivalent in the open source CFWs isn't a limitation, just an annoyance, though.

Those make SXOS more convenient for me right now, so I'll keep using it for the foreseeable future until/unless SXOS lags behind enough to compromise the console's safety or functionality or else one of the open source alternatives implement a way of effectively using USB storage to supplement the console's internal (+SD) storage.

Caveat: I was gifted my copy of SXOS. If not for that, I would have gone with Atmosphere or something similar from the start.

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's the great thing about all these CFW's. You don't have to "switch". You can use them all. Some have better features than others. I love using all three at the same time! I just choose each boot which one I want.

Hint: I use trinket as a modchip. Turn it on, boot to SX emunand or Atmos, ReiNX, or stock. No PC, no phone and no jig involved.

Could you explain me how to do it? It's literally just throw in the SD card the files of both CFWs and it will load according to the payload I inject?

I'd like to have both installed because I like SX OS USB and XCI features, but also like Hekate's RCM that allows the system to completely turn off when you power it off, even with AutoRCM enabled.

Last edited by CassioAug,

HexadecimalMantis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you explain me how to do it? It's literally just throw in the SD card the files of both CFWs and it will load according to the payload I inject?

I'd like to have both installed because I like SX OS USB and XCI features, but also like Hekate's RCM that allows the system to completely turn off when you power it off, even with AutoRCM enabled.
Atmosphere properly powers down with AutoRCM, which is a plus imo.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

First you need to get someone to install a trinket mod chip. I did my own but I have years of soldering experience. It's not for noobs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Psi has been banned in the state of California. +1