Hacking switch from gateway to CFW, which CFW to pick?

i1291361

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
New to 3ds, owns a NEW 3ds and borrowed a gateway card & OOT.
use OOT to boot gateway and created an Emunand.

thinking of using menuhax+cfw in the feature.
Not really sure which CFW (rxTools -with Pasta/CakesFW/Reinand) to install for CIA play with an existing Emunand.
I was told that CakesFW does update via cake files, which is easier for update....

I really hope someone who had tried them all could point me the pro and con of each CFW in the latest state.

Thanks

Last edited by i1291361,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New to 3ds, owns a NEW 3ds and borrowed a gateway card.
use OOT and created an Emunand.

thinking of using menuhax+cfw in the feature.
Not really sure which CFW (rxTools -with Pasta/CakesFW/Reinand) to install for CIA play with an existing Emunand.
I was told that CakesFW does update via cake files, which is easier for update....

I really hope someone who had tried them all could point me the pro and con of each CFW in the latest state.

Thanks
I'd recommend cakesFW at this stage.

rxTools is in a state of flux at the moment as it's still in beta, not all of its features work for new3DS. The files needed on the SD card, their locations, and names are changing frequently as development progresses.

Just trying to get it set up is tricky right now, and the next update may need you to delete all related files, and set it up again from scratch.

CakesFW is easy to set up, and easy to update. I think it's the best choice for everyday use right now.

You can always switch to, and between, any of the other CFWs, as they can all be installed concurrently.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Use ReiNand or Cakes. Pasta installs on sysNAND so there is a risk of bricking if a CIA install goes wrong. RxTools was adjusted from the old 3DS to work on the new 3DS and might have lower boot success (have only heard this not compared things myself).

i1291361

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd recommend cakesFW at this stage.

rxTools is in a state of flux at the moment as it's still in beta, not all of its features work for new3DS. The files needed on the SD card, their locations, and names are changing frequently as development progresses.

Just trying to get it set up is tricky right now, and the next update may need you to delete all related files, and set it up again from scratch.

CakesFW is easy to set up, and easy to update. I think it's the best choice for everyday use right now.

You can always switch to, and between, any of the other CFWs, as they can all be installed concurrently.
I think someone says that gateway emunand includes this 9.5 key or something, should I update to emunand 9.5 while using gateway?

Use ReiNand or Cakes. Pasta installs on sysNAND so there is a risk of bricking if a CIA install goes wrong. RxTools was adjusted from the old 3DS to work on the new 3DS and might have lower boot success (have only heard this not compared things myself).
I guess that I should use gateway to install Devmenu and Bigbluemenu into the emunand first?

ps:
Rei for ReiNAND, RX3D or RX-E for rxTools, GW3D for Gateway,,,,anyone know why Cakes use Ver?

Last edited by i1291361,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ps:
Rei for ReiNAND, RX3D or RX-E for rxTools, GW3D for Gateway,,,,anyone know why Cakes use Ver?
Because it's not really necessary?

It's there to idiot proof the CFW, so people can be absolutely sure they're in emuNAND before updating.

You're using a new3DS, you won't be updating through the system settings anytime soon, so it's completely irrelevant for you.

If you're using menuhax, (I assume) you're going to set it up for auto boot? So once set up, you're already going to know it's in emuNAND.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you can always create an "E" folder in emuNAND. Mine is labeled "Extras" and I store all the shit I don't use in there.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Because it's not really necessary?

It's there to idiot proof the CFW, so people can be absolutely sure they're in emuNAND before updating.

You're using a new3DS, you won't be updating through the system settings anytime soon, so it's completely irrelevant for you.

If you're using menuhax, (I assume) you're going to set it up for auto boot? So once set up, you're already going to know it's in emuNAND.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you can always create an "E" folder in emuNAND. Mine is labeled "Extras" and I store all the shit I don't use in there.
Once you have unlinked emuNAND and SysNAND you can also give them different themes. My sysNAND has a red theme (red=stop) and my emuNAND has the Link Between Worlds theme.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...