Switch freezing on loading sceeens - several games across several cards, forces hard reboot

FirM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, it's only begun to happen recently. All my game data is being read from SD cards, and this issue has happened with at least two different cards now.

I'll launch a game, play it for a while, have no issue, close it, go to play something else, and it will lock up out of nowhere during a loading screen.

I can hit the home button and it'll let me leave the app, but if I try to close the app, put the system in standby, ask it to power off through the menu, it won't work, forcing me to hard power the system down.

Re-seating the SD card before I reboot seems to resolve the issue, at least for a little while, because if I don't, it seems to happen again, after playing one game for a while and closing it. I'll open a second game and boom, freezes.

But I switch between cards a lot, so it's possible that Re-seating the SD card in a way the system liked would work indefinitely if I just let it be, I dunno.

Do you think the SD card adapter is dying? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, it's only begun to happen recently. All my game data is being read from SD cards, and this issue has happened with at least two different cards now.

I'll launch a game, play it for a while, have no issue, close it, go to play something else, and it will lock up out of nowhere during a loading screen.

I can hit the home button and it'll let me leave the app, but if I try to close the app, put the system in standby, ask it to power off through the menu, it won't work, forcing me to hard power the system down.

Re-seating the SD card before I reboot seems to resolve the issue, at least for a little while, because if I don't, it seems to happen again, after playing one game for a while and closing it. I'll open a second game and boom, freezes.

But I switch between cards a lot, so it's possible that Re-seating the SD card in a way the system liked would work indefinitely if I just let it be, I dunno.

Do you think the SD card adapter is dying? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
The SDCard reader is extremely fragile. Fortunately they are cheap on Amazon and easy to pop off and replace. it might just need to be reseated. You’ll need to remove the back shell to get to it. Take a look with a magnifying glass to,see if any pins are damaged or missing on the motherboard as well as on the SDCard reader end as well. You should consider using Hekate to mount the SDCard moving forward.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
It might also be possible that it is the connector on the motherboard.
It might have some floating pins.
If you know a repair shop nearby, maybe have the connector reflowed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1