Switch firmware update 10.0.0 released, adds button remapping, allows you to move game data to SD

switch.jpg

A system software update is available, would you like to update now? Nintendo put out a new firmware version for the Nintendo Switch today, adding a bit more than the typical stability we're used to. Version 10.0.0 brings some new features to the system, including the ability to remap your controllers and save custom layouts for Joy-Cons, Switch Pro Controllers, and the Switch Lite buttons. There's also a new section in the system settings that lets you toggle displaying your play data to others, or deleting it outright. Those that want to spice up their profile icons can do so, with six new Animal Crossing: New Horizons images that have been added. Another useful feature in 10.0.0 also allows users to transfer games from their system storage to a micro SD card, or the other way around. This works for game data, updates, and DLC, but it does not work for transferring save files to an SD.

Ver. 10.0.0 (Released April 13, 2020)
Added a bookmark feature to News.
This feature allows you to bookmark your favorite news items.

• A maximum of 300 news items can be bookmarked.
  • An internet connection is required to view bookmarked News items.
  • News items that are no longer available cannot be viewed, even if they were bookmarked.

Added an option to transfer software data between the system memory and an SD card.

• Users can now transfer downloadable software, update data, and DLC from the system memory to an SD card (and vice versa).
  • Note that save data and some update data cannot be transferred to an SD card.

Added an option to remap the controller buttons.

• Analog stick and button configurations can now be changed for each paired controller.
  • Custom configurations can be saved as favorites in System Settings > Controllers and Sensors.
    • Custom configurations are stored on the Nintendo Switch system.
    • Configurations can be customized for the following controllers: Joy-Con (L), Joy-Con (R), Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. Button configurations can also be customized on the Nintendo Switch Lite system.
    • This feature is not available for other controllers.
    • On each system, up to five favorite custom configurations can be saved for Joy-Con (L), five for Joy-Con (R), five for Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. Five configurations can also be saved as favorites for Nintendo Switch Lite.

Added a new section in User Settings for Play Activity Settings.

• The options for "Display play activity to:" and "Delete Play Activity" have been moved from Friends Settings to the new Play Activity Settings.

Added new selections to the lineup of user profile icons.

• Select from 6 new icons from the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game for your user.

General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

:arrow: Source

EDIT: Atmosphere users can expect a new update by the end of today.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well Nintendo will never add HDD support
Never say never, but I do think it's very unlikely given that one of Switch's biggest selling points is a smooth transition back and forth between docked and portable play. If people think MicroSDs are expensive, just wait until they have to get a new SSD for their PS5 or XBSX.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure they won't, we'll just be stuck with SD cards that'll never exceed 2 TB when HDDs have already reached 10, 16, and eventually 20 TB levels, that'll sure work well.
Does anybody really need that much space on their Switch though? I guess if it's your primary and only gaming device it might be a concern. Buying just exclusives plus a few indies here and there, I don't think I'll manage to fill even one 512GB mSD in Switch's lifetime.

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cut the b.s about portability it’s how every other modern day console works you keep the games you want docked on your hdd and games to go on mSD/Carts

but hey moving games to SD is phase one to moving games to HDD :rolleyes: but seriously 3yrs and Digital is proving to be a big way people are purchasing games on this system ,plus they aren’t producing full games anyway because they are cheaping out on bigger carts pushing this back on the consumer to deal and be fooled by

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
cut the b.s about portability it’s how every other modern day console works
Except no other modern console is remotely portable lol. Plus I have to wonder if PS5 and XBSX are going to bother keeping compatibility with external HDDs, since that would increase load times exponentially compared to the internal SSD. I'm betting Sony and MS are going to prove to be just as concerned with a consistent experience as Nintendo is.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Rahkeesh

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cut the b.s about portability it’s how every other modern day console works you keep the games you want docked on your hdd and games to go on mSD/Carts

but hey moving games to SD is phase one to moving games to HDD :rolleyes: but seriously 3yrs and Digital is proving to be a big way people are purchasing games on this system ,plus they aren’t producing full games anyway because they are cheaping out on bigger carts pushing this back on the consumer to deal and be fooled by
Well it's not a "console" it's a dockable "portable"

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 103 games on my switch with a 1TB micro sd card. I have about 375GBs left. I think the largest game I have is final fantasy x/x-2 at around 26GBs, but the majority of games are between 5 and 10GBs. my purchases have slowed down considerably, since I have most of the best games the system has to offer. I just recently bought xenoblade chronicles, trails of cold steel 3, and trials of mana. anyway, it would be nice to have external hdd support, but if there's a limit to how many games can be on the system, I think you'll reach that limit at around 2TBs (assuming it's 300 again).

20200414_001728_HDR.jpg

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody really need that much space on their Switch though? I guess if it's your primary and only gaming device it might be a concern. Buying just exclusives plus a few indies here and there, I don't think I'll manage to fill even one 512GB mSD in Switch's lifetime.
My 400gb is maxed 2tb should last the lifetime of the console pretty good but I also expect a ton of ports to hit in the next 2 yrs making a ton of the ps3/360 era portable. I know a lot of parents that go the Digital route because kids loose the carts way to easy.
I know memory makes me choose which system I end up buying on because I don’t have all this time to dump and redownload games being a parent myself time is critical

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
My 400gb is maxed 2tb should last the lifetime of the console pretty good but I also expect a ton of ports to hit in the next 2 yrs making a ton of the ps3/360 era portable. I know a lot of parents that go the Digital route because kids loose the carts way to easy.
I know memory makes me choose which system I end up buying on because I don’t have all this time to dump and redownload games being a parent myself time is critical
Fair enough, kiddos always manage to throw unexpected complications into otherwise simple tasks. :D

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think my days of hacking or exploiting systems are just about over. I never really played any systems I've exploited, other than the wii u. it gets kinda boring after a while. if one of my systems fails or I get banned, I probably will buy another but leave it unhacked. it just doesn't seem to be worth the frustration trying to keep everything in good working order and unbanned.

with that being said, the switch is the only system I play new games on, and I've gone all digital, so I'll run out of space eventually.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except no other modern console is remotely portable lol. Plus I have to wonder if PS5 and XBSX are going to bother keeping compatibility with external HDDs, since that would increase load times exponentially compared to the internal SSD. I'm betting Sony and MS are going to prove to be just as concerned with a consistent experience as Nintendo is.

It's already official that neither company will let you play next gen games off of external HDs, only previous gen. MS lets you swap out 1 TB proprietary cards and Sony will let you replace the internal m.2 if consumer SSDs ever catch up to its speed. You can store next gen games on any external drive but you need to copy it to their fast storage before it will play.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, I accidentally updated when taking that photo above. it doesn't really matter though, since I would've had to anyway with trials of mana. you do have to update to play a game that isn't out yet, correct? I mean once it comes out and you have to sign in to download the ticket or at least check, it would require updating, right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's already official that neither company will let you play next gen games off of external HDs, only previous gen. MS lets you swap out 1 TB proprietary cards and Sony will let you replace the internal m.2 if consumer SSDs ever catch up to its speed. You can store next gen games on any external drive but you need to copy it to their fast storage before it will play.

seriously? from what I've learned about the series x and ps5, the series x kinda has me at the bc and resume play of multiple titles thing. I like what I'm hearing about that system a lot more than the ps5.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If this lets me remap the dpad of 8bitdo's SF30Pro to movement in Smash, I'm going to be so damn happy. Switch recognizes it as a Pro Controller, so it might be possible.
No such luck, for anybody else wondering. It'll let you assign other buttons (not directional inputs) to the DPad, but it won't let you change anything on the sticks except swapping them.

FRKN4O

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does this mean we can download save files from the internet and put it in the sd card and have other people their saves?

Reactions: zoogie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1