Switch exclusive rhythm game Gal Metal gets release date

XSEED and Marvelous Europe will be bringing a new rhythm game to the Nintendo Switch in the form of Gal Metal. You play as a group of schoolgirls that have to fend off an alien invasion with the power of heavy metal music. The Joy-Cons act as drumsticks as you swing them to the beat, or alternatively, you can tap the touchscreen to hit the notes. Both a physical and digital release are planned, when the game launches on October 30 (Nov. 2 for EU) exclusively on the Nintendo Switch.

Planet Earth is on the brink of invasion after humanity ruined the peace and quiet of the universe with the broadcast of metal music on the Voyager probe's Golden Record. Aliens picked up the signal and couldn't stop headbanging, and now they're dying off because of it… so they want revenge!

A few rogue extraterrestrials make their way to the source of the music and abduct two high school students from the Tokyo suburb of Kichijoji: an unnamed boy, and a drummer named Rinko from an outrageous girls-only metal club. The aliens needed an emissary with whom to discuss the terms of their revenge, and felt either of these two would serve nicely. However, being unable to choose between them, the aliens simply decided to merge their souls into a single being!

Now, working together, the all-in-one pair must team up with the other members of K.M.G. (the Kichijoji Metal Girls) to rid the planet of these eight-tentacled extraterrestrials using the power of metal. It’s time to rock these music-hating creeps all the way back to whatever planet they came from!

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Rhythm games? Bring more please.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So basically Rock Band but with Anime?
Though not sharing the same style of gameplay, the comics style in which the story is being presented makes me think more of Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This looks fun, sign me up! :D The trailer looks horrible though (especially the "sound effects". I mean it's just a translated version of the Japanese trailer, but the sound effects looked slightly better there at least).

The more rhythm games there are, the better :3

Reactions: sarkwalvein

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Marvelous, stop making damn anime girl game and show me a Story of Season already! I am dying for a new farm game now.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Is it just me or is this game's plot jumping the shark between campy and incredibly stupid? :unsure:
(I read that description as "you play a shemale alien that combines powers with a Japanese school band to fend off fellow aliens through correctly playing metal" :wacko:)

Marketeer 1: hey! Let's make a rhythm game about a Japanese girl school rock band
Marketeer 2: good idea. And for good measure, let's throw in some invading aliens
Marketeer 1: what? What's wrong with entertaining a crowd?
Marketeer 2: people want to save the world nowadays. We have to think bigger than just a high school band.
Marketeer 1: but...but the mechanics have nothing to do with any of that!
Marketeer 2: so? Let programmers worry about implementing whatever mechanics there need to be. I'll be content just doing the descriptions and some cutscenes.

Last edited by Taleweaver,
Reactions: Xabring

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Unless the next story of seasons is a farm rhythm game, I don't agree. Come on! The switch lacks a lot in rhythm games!
To be fair, it's actually not that lacking. At least there's deemo, voez, superbeat, musynx, taiko and probably a few others I'm forgetting g.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I read that description as "you play a shemale alien that combines powers with a Japanese school band to fend off fellow aliens through correctly playing metal"

"You play as a group of schoolgirls that have to fend off an alien invasion with the power of heavy metal music"

How did you jump from "group of schoolgirls" to "shemale alien"?

D

Deleted User

I like the look and sound, but the lack of actual rhythm game mechanicsis going to hurt this game in the long run. It's clearly had a ton of effort put into it, even if it does look like a subpar indie title, but without some sort of mechanics, it's wailing your arms around pointlessly in an anime schoolgirl band vs aliens setting. There's no guidance, no substance.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
"You play as a group of schoolgirls that have to fend off an alien invasion with the power of heavy metal music"

How did you jump from "group of schoolgirls" to "shemale alien"?
By using the power of "reading the description". Here you go:

A few rogue extraterrestrials make their way to the source of the music and abduct two high school students from the Tokyo suburb of Kichijoji: an unnamed boy, and a drummer named Rinko from an outrageous girls-only metal club. The aliens needed an emissary with whom to discuss the terms of their revenge, and felt either of these two would serve nicely. However, being unable to choose between them, the aliens simply decided to merge their souls into a single being
Now, working together, the all-in-one pair must team up with the other members of K.M.G. (the Kichijoji Metal Girls) to rid the planet of these eight-tentacled extraterrestrials using the power of metal. It’s time to rock these music-hating creeps all the way back to whatever planet they came from!

Granted: the "shemale" part is myself in poking fun at their expense. Rather than just saying "choose to be either a boy or a girl to play...in a girls-only metal club", they go with this whole "the rogue aliens merge the souls of a boy and a girl into a single being that will help to destroy their fellow aliens" nonsense. If they don't want me calling things as they are, perhaps they shouldn't be writing that storyline as it is in the first place. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs