Switch exclusive rhythm game Gal Metal gets release date

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:22 PM.

Front-page

XSEED and Marvelous Europe will be bringing a new rhythm game to the Nintendo Switch in the form of Gal Metal. You play as a group of schoolgirls that have to fend off an alien invasion with the power of heavy metal music. The Joy-Cons act as drumsticks as you swing them to the beat, or alternatively, you can tap the touchscreen to hit the notes. Both a physical and digital release are planned, when the game launches on October 30 (Nov. 2 for EU) exclusively on the Nintendo Switch.

Discussion (31 replies)
  1. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    So basically Rock Band but with Anime?

Xabring likes this.
  2. Redbunnymoon

Redbunnymoon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2015
    Austria
    Rock band with anime but without onscreen prompts

Xabring likes this.
  3. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2016
    Madagascar
    I want more DMM games on the switch :toot:. But this seems simple yet difficult for a rhythm game?

4. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Rhythm games? Bring more please.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Though not sharing the same style of gameplay, the comics style in which the story is being presented makes me think more of Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents.

5. smileyhead

smileyhead Boo.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    This gives me some Elite Beat Agents vibes with the comic strips and alien invasion.

6. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    The K-On! sequel we've all been waiting for.

Sharinflan likes this.
  7. europat

europat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2015
    Canada
    So that's not related to Gal Gun right ?

8. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States

and lots and lots and lots of dialogue and MS Paint graphics.

9. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    This looks fun, sign me up! :D The trailer looks horrible though (especially the "sound effects". I mean it's just a translated version of the Japanese trailer, but the sound effects looked slightly better there at least).

The more rhythm games there are, the better :3

sarkwalvein likes this.
  10. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    Marvelous, stop making damn anime girl game and show me a Story of Season already! I am dying for a new farm game now.

11. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Unless the next story of seasons is a farm rhythm game, I don't agree. Come on! The switch lacks a lot in rhythm games!

12. HelpTheWretched

HelpTheWretched GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    I like the idea of showing the song structure onscreen instead of a constant flow of notes. Graphics are kind of ugh...

13. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    I am kinda curious how perfomance will be rated since no game promps will be shown.

14. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Is it just me or is this game's plot jumping the shark between campy and incredibly stupid? :unsure:
    (I read that description as "you play a shemale alien that combines powers with a Japanese school band to fend off fellow aliens through correctly playing metal" :wacko:)

Marketeer 1: hey! Let's make a rhythm game about a Japanese girl school rock band
    Marketeer 2: good idea. And for good measure, let's throw in some invading aliens
    Marketeer 1: what? What's wrong with entertaining a crowd?
    Marketeer 2: people want to save the world nowadays. We have to think bigger than just a high school band.
    Marketeer 1: but...but the mechanics have nothing to do with any of that!
    Marketeer 2: so? Let programmers worry about implementing whatever mechanics there need to be. I'll be content just doing the descriptions and some cutscenes.

Last edited by Taleweaver, Oct 12, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    Xabring likes this.
  15. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    To be fair, it's actually not that lacking. At least there's deemo, voez, superbeat, musynx, taiko and probably a few others I'm forgetting g.

16. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    "You play as a group of schoolgirls that have to fend off an alien invasion with the power of heavy metal music"

How did you jump from "group of schoolgirls" to "shemale alien"?

17. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    I like the look and sound, but the lack of actual rhythm game mechanicsis going to hurt this game in the long run. It's clearly had a ton of effort put into it, even if it does look like a subpar indie title, but without some sort of mechanics, it's wailing your arms around pointlessly in an anime schoolgirl band vs aliens setting. There's no guidance, no substance.

18. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    By using the power of "reading the description". Here you go:

A few rogue extraterrestrials make their way to the source of the music and abduct two high school students from the Tokyo suburb of Kichijoji: an unnamed boy, and a drummer named Rinko from an outrageous girls-only metal club. The aliens needed an emissary with whom to discuss the terms of their revenge, and felt either of these two would serve nicely. However, being unable to choose between them, the aliens simply decided to merge their souls into a single being
    Now, working together, the all-in-one pair must team up with the other members of K.M.G. (the Kichijoji Metal Girls) to rid the planet of these eight-tentacled extraterrestrials using the power of metal. It’s time to rock these music-hating creeps all the way back to whatever planet they came from!

Granted: the "shemale" part is myself in poking fun at their expense. Rather than just saying "choose to be either a boy or a girl to play...in a girls-only metal club", they go with this whole "the rogue aliens merge the souls of a boy and a girl into a single being that will help to destroy their fellow aliens" nonsense. If they don't want me calling things as they are, perhaps they shouldn't be writing that storyline as it is in the first place. :P

19. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    "eight-tentacled extraterrestrials"

I have seen enough hentai anime to see where this is going.