Switch crashed in game while using SX OS now it won't charge or turn on

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by bjostwick, Sep 1, 2018.

1. bjostwick
    OP

bjostwick Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    Hey Everybody,

I was playing Ys VIII in SX OS and the game suddenly crashed. After that, the switch wouldn't turn on and there is no indication that it's charging.
    Any similar experiences or any advice?

Thanks!

2. bjostwick
    OP

bjostwick Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    I'm reading more on it now, I think I DID have AutoRCM installed so it looks like I probably bricked it.

3. Zach_Alt

Zach_Alt Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2015
    United States

It's not bricked. A simple google search will tell you how to fix your problem.

bjostwick likes this.
  4. bjostwick
    OP

bjostwick Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    Thanks for responding. I guess I'm just not exactly sure what to search for.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I've tried turning it on with the volume up button held, both with and without the dongle. Are there any other options?
    Thanks for your time everybody. I feel like a knob.

I plugged it into my PC with a cable into the dongle, held the volume up button and power and it booted me into the SX OS menu. It wasn't bricked, just like you said. Sorry for taking up your time folks.

Last edited by bjostwick, Sep 1, 2018
  5. elm

elm GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 20, 2007
    United States
    If you have auto RCM on, just plug in the dongle (make sure it’s charged) and press the vol + and power button, it should come back on.

Last edited by elm, Sep 1, 2018
    bjostwick likes this.
  6. Soluble

Soluble GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 12, 2017
    If the battery is flat...
    Hold switch power button for 12+ seconds, even 20 to be sure. Put it in the dock for an hour, pull it out, insert SX dongle and press power, as soon as it boots up, put it back in the cradle and let it charge.

Once that's done, power off, insert dongle, boot up using vol+ and remove autoRCM so it never happens again.

(Or you said you can boot into SXOS with it plugged into PC, so do that and remove autoRCM and put it in the dock to charge.

Last edited by Soluble, Sep 1, 2018
    bjostwick likes this.
  7. bjostwick
    OP

bjostwick Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    Yes, this is the best course of action. This worked. Thank you so much!

8. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    Hey wow yet another "autorcm is the devil!" post.
    Since it is the devil, have you tried sacrificing a chicken and drinking it's blood to appease our satanic overlord?

9. Alkéryn
    This message by Alkéryn has been removed from public view by Chary, Sep 1, 2018, Reason: One word post.
    Sep 1, 2018
  10. bjostwick
    OP

bjostwick Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    Nah, I have no feelings about autorcm one way or the other, I just needed some technical help. I'll try the chicken sacrifice route for my next issue.

11. Soluble

Mar 12, 2017
    Judging by the amount of threads we get, it kinda is the devil... Its all good if you're the only person using your switch, not so good if you travel a lot or people lacking knowledge also use your switch.

12. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    Of every thread, it has been 100% user error, like leaving it in rcm, or not having a charged dongle, etc etc etc.
    And saying autorcm bricked your console is like saying the sky is blue, autorcm in itself is a bootloader brick. That's all, triggers rcm.

It doesn't steal your breath while you sleep, it doesn't impregnate your virgin sister, and it sure as hell doesn't stop your switch hardware from working.

Eh, that was meant more for the people telling you autorcm is bad and to uninstall it or your switch will explode.

13. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom

If you are using auto rcm then you should know of what you are using and how it works...
    and not blame it for improper use period.

Mr. Wizard likes this.
  14. Mr. Wizard
    This message by Mr. Wizard has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Sep 2, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    Sep 1, 2018
  15. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Norway
    Grand Line
    FFS. Hold the power button for 15 seconds to turn it off completely then turn it on the usual way.

Last edited by guitarheroknight, Sep 1, 2018
  16. farcky

farcky Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2017
    Canada
    Hello, not sure to understand what to do... I was playng and got error. Now nothing...My switch dosn't want to turn on. I try reset pressing the button for 12 seconds ( i press longer) I tried press the power button and volume +/- at the same time, I tried while holding + with the dongle insert. And still have nothing, only a black screen.

Any idea? Please help.

17. Soluble

Mar 12, 2017
    Put in dock, hold power for 15 seconds, go away for an hour, come back, pull it out, insert dongle, press power, should boot, put it back in the dock, let it charge, then reboot with dongle holding vol+ and turn off autoRCM so it doesn't happen again.