1. aunt-lydia

OP aunt-lydia Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    Hi there,

I recently got myself an unpatched Switch that won't turn on. Here's the thing.

It charges, shows battery charging symbol. When powering it on normally, Nintendo Logo appears, then screen goes black and nothing happens. If I want to restart it, I have to press Powerbutton for 10-15 seconds.

What works still?
    --> entering RCM, injecting payloads (havent found one that didn't work so far)
    --> creating/restoring NAND backup of eMMC, eMMC benchmark works well
    --> creating emuMMC, flashing Linux or Android with hekate
    --> USB tools for mounting rawnand and SD
    --> joycons work when attached in hekate
    --> wifi

What does not work?
    --> booting up anyting

What have I tried?
    --> booting normally: black screen after Nintendo Logo
    --> booting emuMMC/sysNAND/cfw sysNAND (atmosphere): black screen after Nintendo Logo / after atmosphere Logo
    --> booting Linux(switchroot ubuntu): initial setup works, then freezes after setup completes
    --> booting Android (after successful flashing with TWRP): screen remains blank, fan is running, nothing happens (TWRP boots up successfully if pressing VOL+)
    --> dumping original firmware and found it's 10.0.4, burnt fuses count = 13
    --> downgrading using various tutorials using ChoiDujour, HacDiskMount and EmmcHaccGen and, almost all of them were completed successfully but I still get the black screen after Nintendo Logo
    ----> funny thing with this tutorial (suchmememanyskill github) was, that in TegraExplorer when running the systemRestore.te script it would just show two red 00 when trying to restore the system folder. When mounting System partition in HacDiskMount and modifying it, theres no error message though.
    --> restoring the NAND backup that I took after I got the console various times and starting again from the beginning.....

At this point I wonder if it is actually a hardware problem. On a bricked console, it should at least be possible to run android or ubuntu, right? I got both running on another console, installing the same way, and they work like a charm. I'm thinking of using this device for practicing my soldering skills, or replacement parts, or maybe I just hang it on my wall and throw darts at it. BUT before that happens I thought I'd ask somebody who actually knows about these things, if they would see still a chance to save this sucker.

Alright, everyone who read till there, thanks for that, and any help is highly!!! appreciated.

Cheers:grog:

Tiripstruk likes this.
  2. Masamune3210

Masamune3210 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sounds like hardware damage if its affecting even other os's like Linux. Don't think switchroot messes with anything on the system other than joycons powermanagement fans gpu and touch so its likely one of those. My bets on either power management chip being fried from using the wrong charger or something similar

3. aunt-lydia

OP aunt-lydia Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    Thanks! I will have a look and check some circuits on the board. Maybe it's a good opportunity to acquire some soldering skills =)

4. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    Themes, or you tried to downgrade. Or, unluckily, your mmc module met its demise.

Last edited by eyeliner, Nov 15, 2020
  5. Chakratos

Chakratos GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Check for themes on your SD if you have not already

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Defenitely check themes on your SD if you have not already

6. aunt-lydia

OP aunt-lydia Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    Thanks for your reply! Could you specify? You mean, themes folder on the SD card? should I remove it, or what would be your suggestion?

About the eMMC module, I also thought so, but if it was broken, I probably wouldn't be able to backup and restore the sysNAND, which I still can do with hekate.. or you think it could still be broken?

7. Stoned

Stoned GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Format your SD Card and do a Clean Atmosphere/kosmos/deepsea Setup on SD Card.

8. aunt-lydia

OP aunt-lydia Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    yep, did that many times... doesn't change anything.

With all the software workarounds I tried so far, I think there's a fair chance it's a hardware error. The thing that I find most suspicious is when I try to run systemrestore.te script on TegraExplorer (with prepared new SYSTEM folder of course) and when flashing SYSTEM, get a red 00 (double zero) that doesn't go away, and after waiting a few minutes the screen turns funny with grey background and some purple stripes that are expanding by a few pixels slowly ^^

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Backup the Nintendo folder as it holds your games and whatever mods you have in the contents folder then format the SD card to FAT32 and get the latest Atmosphere.

10. aunt-lydia

OP aunt-lydia Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    Hi, thanks for your reply. That was one of the first things I tried, but the problem hasn't been solved so far. I ordered a power IC chip now and will try to replace it. After all the things I tried, I am pretty sure it is a hardware issue.

I will update the thread after my little soldering experiment ^^ cheers

11. severhead

severhead Member
    Newcomer

Ireland
    Have you tried initializing/restoring to factory settings? Press volume up and down, and power and you should be able to try it, if you just bought it and it came in with a black screen there's nothing to lose really.

If that doesn't help, it seem like somethings up with the mainboard if you tried everything there is and it's definitely not correlated to the SD Card

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - bricked, nothing, fixable