Switch bricked after atmosphere update (i guess)

DivineZeus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys, about an year ago i bought off the bay an already modded Switch, everything worked fine, i installed many games and i was genuinely happy with it, but unfortunately one day i was forced to update, so i did it... After that, my Switch completely died! no boot, no battery indicator when in charge, nothing at all. I have to say i'm a total noob, and i don't know anything about switch modding, i just bought a modded one and i thought everything would be all right.... :( ah, i forgot to mention the update was full auto, i didn't do anything special, only clicked the button update... sorry for my "noobness". Is my Switch a brick i can throw out of the window, or is there anything i can try? please help me guys, thank you!

JJon3s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, about an year ago i bought off the bay an already modded Switch, everything worked fine, i installed many games and i was genuinely happy with it, but unfortunately one day i was forced to update, so i did it... After that, my Switch completely died! no boot, no battery indicator when in charge, nothing at all. I have to say i'm a total noob, and i don't know anything about switch modding, i just bought a modded one and i thought everything would be all right.... :( ah, i forgot to mention the update was full auto, i didn't do anything special, only clicked the button update... sorry for my "noobness". Is my Switch a brick i can throw out of the window, or is there anything i can try? please help me guys, thank you!
You need to update the atmosphere folder in your switch which is in your sd card. Next you need to install the payload.bin into whatever rcm loader your using. Also since you’ve updated your switch you’ll need to atmosphere siglas he’s for the titles to work that you want to play.

JJon3s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also do you need to plug something in every time you enter recovery mode or is it built in, since you bought it already modded and didn’t specify if it’s inside the switch or not.
I would send a pic and links if I could but my rank is too low sorry!

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases (for the SD card)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatches-for-atmosphere-hekate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/ (sig patches to make games work once done installing also for SD card)

make sure when you are updating the RCM’s bios as well as the atmosphere folder on your SD card (this is thing that you plug into the usb-c port with he jig) and rename the fusee.bin to payload.bin (make sure you have file extension turned on for your computer.

Last edited by JJon3s,
Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That’s bad news. If you upgrade a hacked switch it fries the motherboard and ionizes the battery. It’s most likely junk at this point. You be lucky to get $50 for it if you sell it for parts. I’d buy it off you but I only have a 100 dollar bill on me at the moment. You seem like an honest guy though so I’m willing to send you my $100 for your $50 Switch and you can pay me back when you get a chance.🙃

DivineZeus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also do you need to plug something in every time you enter recovery mode or is it built in, since you bought it already modded and didn’t specify if it’s inside the switch or not.
I would send a pic and links if I could but my rank is too low sorry!

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases (for the SD card)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatches-for-atmosphere-hekate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/ (sig patches to make games work once done installing also for SD card)

make sure when you are updating the RCM’s bios as well as the atmosphere folder on your SD card (this is thing that you plug into the usb-c port with he jig) and rename the fusee.bin to payload.bin (make sure you have file extension turned on for your computer.
Thank you for helping me, but is it normal that the console doesn't even show the battery icon in the top left corner when in charge? this thing concern me a lot.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for helping me, but is it normal that the console doesn't even show the battery icon in the top left corner when in charge? this thing concern me a lot.
Leave it in the charger for a very long time. It has probably lost battery charge and had AutoRCM on. In this state it can only trickle charge. Once it has charged for a day or so you will want to have your payload injector nearby so you can quickly inject a payload and get it back on the charger. Once it shows signs of life, leave it charging for an hour or so and we’ll see what’s going on.

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

The console need to boot to atmosphere to be able to show battery icon.

In rcm mode it will keep draining the battery despite it looks like it is in off state.

Charge it for 1 or 2 hours, while updating your atmosphere https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases

And hekate https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases

----

After an hour charging, plug the microsd back to switch. Then inject the hekate payload to switch.

Now you can see battery percentage if it's already more than 10%, you can boot fusee.bin payload

---

Alternatively, you can directly inject fusee payload and pray that your battery charge is enough to boot into switch os.

YoureALoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to specify which version of the Switch you have & if it's using a mod chip or dongle.

DivineZeus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As i wrote in my first post, i'm a complete noob in switch modding. i did mod several other console in the past, but this time i decided to buy one already modded (shame on me). When the console arrived had about 60% of battery, so the console was in standby mode, i docked it and i never shut it down, until the infamous update. So, it has no modchip in it, and i don't have any RCM loader of some sort... so basically i'm ashamed of myself for not having digged enough about this. Dang...

Edit: i do have that "red thing" for the right joycon rail, and seems i can use my android phone to inject payload?

Last edited by DivineZeus,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As i wrote in my first post, i'm a complete noob in switch modding. i did mod several other console in the past, but this time i decided to buy one already modded (shame on me). When the console arrived had about 60% of battery, so the console was in standby mode, i docked it and i never shut it down, until the infamous update. So, it has no modchip in it, and i don't have any RCM loader of some sort... so basically i'm ashamed of myself for not having digged enough about this. Dang...

Edit: i do have that "red thing" for the right joycon rail, and seems i can use my android phone to inject payload?
Great. Have you been charging it the entire time since you received the feedback to do so? If so, you probably have enough juice in your battery to attempt to push a payload. You can inject a payload through the USB port with an Android phone using Rekado or you can use your PC and TegraRCMGUI. Either way, get it all set up to quickly pull it off the charger, power up, connect the USB cable and inject the payload from whichever decide you chose. As soon as you see signs of life, pop it back on the charger to take advantage of the full charging capabilities. If not…put back on the charger and wait some more to try again. Eventually it will work.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm making little progress. Now if use hekate i can't boot up atmosphere, saying emummc is disabled, if i use fusee, atmosphere boot logo appears, but after that a fatal error, and is stuck in a reboot loop. so, any advice?

So it’s powering on? That’s great news! That’s a heck of a lot better than where we were. Let’s take stock of where we are so we can plan the next moves.

1) when you say “use Hekate” and “use Fusee” are you talking about your payload injector? If you are talking about your injector, what kind is it? If you don’t know, just describe it and we can figure that out.

2) is everything readable on your SD card? Take it out and put it in your PC and take a screenshot of the / directory and the /bootloader directory and post them here. While you have the sd card in your PC please post the contents of your /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini file

That should be enough to get us started figuring out what’s wrong and if there are any issues with the basics we can fix them and move on to the next layers of troubleshooting.

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That’s bad news. If you upgrade a hacked switch it fries the motherboard and ionizes the battery. It’s most likely junk at this point. You be lucky to get $50 for it if you sell it for parts. I’d buy it off you but I only have a 100 dollar bill on me at the moment. You seem like an honest guy though so I’m willing to send you my $100 for your $50 Switch and you can pay me back when you get a chance.🙃
What? No that’s not a thing

You can upgrade hacked switches just make sure you update your files

DivineZeus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So it’s powering on? That’s great news! That’s a heck of a lot better than where we were. Let’s take stock of where we are so we can plan the next moves.

1) when you say “use Hekate” and “use Fusee” are you talking about your payload injector? If you are talking about your injector, what kind is it? If you don’t know, just describe it and we can figure that out.

2) is everything readable on your SD card? Take it out and put it in your PC and take a screenshot of the / directory and the /bootloader directory and post them here. While you have the sd card in your PC please post the contents of your /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini file

That should be enough to get us started figuring out what’s wrong and if there are any issues with the basics we can fix them and move on to the next layers of troubleshootingU
Uhm, i'm using rekado with my phone as injector. as soon i plug my phone to the console, rekado asks which payload to inject, i tried both but with hekate says emummc is disabled and with fusee i can see atmosphere boot screen for a second and then a fatal error.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm, i'm using rekado with my phone as injector. as soon i plug my phone to the console, rekado asks which payload to inject, i tried both but with hekate says emummc is disabled and with fusee i can see atmosphere boot screen for a second and then a fatal error.
Great. That answers #1 very well.

Please send screenshots and data requested in #2 plus add a screenshot of the fatal error. I think I might know what it is but let’s see.

DivineZeus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Great. That answers #1 very well.

Please send screenshots and data requested in #2 plus add a screenshot of the fatal error. I think I might know what it is but let’s see.
Thanks, heres what you ask.

hekate_ipl.ini:

[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=5
customlogo=1
verification=2
backlight=100
autohosoff=0

{---- SUPER LAN PLAY ----}
{---- ATMOSPHERE 0.8.10 ---- }
{Discord: https://discord.gg/cUnjkPH}
{ }

[AMS]
secmon=modules/exosphere.bin
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee-primary.bin
{ }

{---- REINX 8.0.º Support ---- }
{ }

[ReinX]
payload=bootloader/payloads/ReiNX.bin
{ }

{---- CFW: SX OS. SUPER LAN PLAY ----}
{---- 1.0.0 - 8.0.1 ----}
[SXOS]
payload=bootloader/payloads/sxos.bin

[Android RetroPack]
payload=switchroot_android/coreboot.rom

Attachments

• Screenshot (1) (1).png
    Screenshot (1) (1).png
    37.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    17.9 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: impeeza

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, heres what you ask.

hekate_ipl.ini:

[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=5
customlogo=1
verification=2
backlight=100
autohosoff=0

{---- ATMOSPHERE 0.8.10 ---- }
{ }

[AMS]
secmon=modules/exosphere.bin
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee-primary.bin
{ }

{---- REINX 8.0.º Support ---- }
{ }

[ReinX]
payload=bootloader/payloads/ReiNX.bin
{ }

{---- CFW: SX OS. SUPER LAN PLAY ----}
{---- 1.0.0 - 8.0.1 ----}
[SXOS]
payload=bootloader/payloads/sxos.bin

[Android RetroPack]
payload=switchroot_android/coreboot.rom
Sweet baby Jesus, yes.

You need to upgrade your installation.

That version of Atmosphere won’t work with the latest FW.

Here’s a good place to start:https://rentry.org/MigrateToAtmosphere1_0_0

You should also run this while you’re at it: https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM

That should fix you right up…

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yltcaxE