Hacking Sweet-Talking Nintendo about Reapiring my Wii?

G2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've banner bricked my Wii. I've made the choice to send it in to Ninty, but I wanted to know what to say. I've sent my Wii in before, but HB wasn't installed (The first time I sent it in was because of a failed case mod, which some how prevented me from playing discs. I switched it back to the original case. They said I had opened it up and told me to pay another $90, but I convinced them I didn't and got it free. The second time my Wii stopped working for no reason at all.).

What should I tell the person that I'm sending it in for? You're supposed to attach a note to the Wii detailing what's wrong - Should I maybe tell them it was a banner brick... and maybe even include some extra cash with it? Also, since everything that has to do with Homebrew is on the first page, will they most likely see that, and charge extra?

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
G2K said:
So I've banner bricked my Wii. I've made the choice to send it in to Ninty, but I wanted to know what to say. I've sent my Wii in before, but HB wasn't installed (The first time I sent it in was because of a failed case mod, which some how prevented me from playing discs. I switched it back to the original case. They said I had opened it up and told me to pay another $90, but I convinced them I didn't and got it free. The second time my Wii stopped working for no reason at all.).

What should I tell the person that I'm sending it in for? You're supposed to attach a note to the Wii detailing what's wrong - Should I maybe tell them it was a banner brick... and maybe even include some extra cash with it? Also, since everything that has to do with Homebrew is on the first page, will they most likely see that, and charge extra?

Hmmm a banner Brick, they will be able to see what is on it with their Recovery CD, It could be hit or miss if they repair it for free they may end up charging you, I would do some major Sweet talking

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I'm so, so sorry. You might want to read this post on hackmii.

You might be able to convince them not to charge you by saying "My friend told me that he'd trick out me wii for me and accidentally broke it." I'd say that that's your best bet.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Man up... you broke it, if they charge you extra... pay up - or fix it yourself with a mod chip and recovery disc (in later versions) or just wad manager autoboot disc if you can run trucha signed discs.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
maybe you got a power cut when you were updating it?

then not all necessary IOS were installed properly?

obviously dont word it like that coz they'll know you've been reading up on the works, but ya get me lol

but if they fix it and turn it on to find your homebrew ur fucked XD

i just wonder how the hell nintendo manages to fix them without preloader and that
tongue.gif

G2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SenorClean said:
Man up... you broke it, if they charge you extra... pay up - or fix it yourself with a mod chip and recovery disc (in later versions) or just wad manager autoboot disc if you can run trucha signed discs.

So how do I make a WAD Manager Autoboot disc? Or do I need a chip for that?

And I haven't gotten an answer for wether or not I should tip the guy. Oh, and I should try to make the story match up with the problem... Would it make sense to say power died when I was installing the Mario Kart channel?

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
G2K said:
SenorClean said:

And I haven't gotten an answer for wether or not I should tip the guy. Oh, and I should try to make the story match up with the problem... Would it make sense to say power died when I was installing the Mario Kart channel?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K1LLK18R

You'll need a mod chip, and to be running firmware that allows booting of trucha signed content of course.

I can't link you to the pink fish disc, but again if you have a mod chip - you can use it to remove all your channels and saves - bringing your wii back to life.

G2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SenorClean said:
G2K said:
SenorClean said:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K1LLK18R

You'll need a mod chip, and to be running firmware that allows booting of trucha signed content of course.

I can't link you to the pink fish disc, but again if you have a mod chip - you can use it to remove all your channels and saves - bringing your wii back to life.

I've allready got a copy of the pink fish disc. If I get ahold of a modchip, what do I do to launch the WAD Manager disc, considerign I'm on 4.0. If I'm correct, I need to use SaveMii or the free GameCube controller altrenative, then when I get the "4.0(USA)" in the bottom, I insert the disc, right?

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunately, that won't work. Because the wad manager disc has been fakesigned, it won't be bootable in 4.0 - unless you have modified your IOSes to allow fakesigned booting.

Because the pink fish disc is properly signed though, you could use it to blow away all your channels/saves. You'd have a fresh wii - but I suspect this is what nintendo would send you back anyway.

G2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SenorClean said:
Unfortunately, that won't work. Because the wad manager disc has been fakesigned, it won't be bootable in 4.0 - unless you have modified your IOSes to allow fakesigned booting.

Because the pink fish disc is properly signed though, you could use it to blow away all your channels/saves. You'd have a fresh wii - but I suspect this is what nintendo would send you back anyway.

If I was able to boot games through the gamma loader at one point, would that mean I can boot fake signed games? And when Nintendo sends you back a Wii, it has all you save files and Miis on it still. They do this using the pink fish disc as far as I know. It seems they copy them using an SD card, do you think it would be possible to do this to?

G2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I need to send this thing out I need to do it soon. I need a few answers:

If I'm sending it:

Do I tell them it was installing Mario Kart channel, then got a power outage?
Do I tell them the truth?
Do I tip the guy?
Will there be a big penalty if homebrew is found (cash wise)?
If they find it and ask if I want to proceed because of insane costs, will it cost anything to just have them ship it back?

If I keep it:

Will any chip do?
If I cant use the WAD Manager dsic, I have to use Pink Fish, right? How do I use that if I want to keep savefiles, Miis, my liscense code for VC and WiiWare games, etc?
If I could play burnt games in the gamma backup channel, will WAD Manager Autoboot Disc work?
What version is the WAD Manager in the ISO? My Wii only works with 1.4, or a modded version of 1.3.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
G2K said:
If I need to send this thing out I need to do it soon. I need a few answers:

If I'm sending it:

Do I tell them it was installing Mario Kart channel, then got a power outage?
Do I tell them the truth?
Do I tip the guy?
Will there be a big penalty if homebrew is found (cash wise)?
If they find it and ask if I want to proceed because of insane costs, will it cost anything to just have them ship it back?
[*]I would recommend the Mario Kart Channel lie. They might figure out the truth, though...[*]There's no need to tip anyone.[*]If they discover homebrew, they will call you and ask if you want them to service it. Remember all (visible?) homebrew will be wiped out, and you will be updated.[*]When you pay up for repairs, they also tack on shipping costs. That's why the total cost will be more than the normal $75.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That thing about them automatically voiding your warranty if they find homebrew seems to only be for Nintendo of Europe.

In America, I've heard reports of people sending in completely hacked Wiis as of just a week or two ago and not being charged anything (if they're under warranty).

Though if it's a software issue I don't know. If it was something like overheating, though, they probably wouldn't care about homebrew.

G2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well then it seems things are looking up fir sending in the Wii. Since it's just a banner brick, what are the chances I'll get a brand new Wii... One with a LU64 serial? Or what about one the doesn't have the boot1 exploit or whatever it is BootMii uses?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if they have to replace the board than you will get a LU64 depends what they have to do to it. they'll probably tell you what needs to be done before they do it.

G2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bladexdsl said:
if they have to replace the board than you will get a LU64 depends what they have to do to it. they'll probably tell you what needs to be done before they do it.

Will a banner brick REALLY require them to replace the board? And I've never found out what they did to it until I've got it back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.