sweet, my $70AUD xenon just got shipped

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by mercluke, Aug 10, 2010.

Aug 10, 2010
  1. mercluke
    OP

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    so i'm going out to bunnings today to get 40 washers and 8 screws for xclamp fix, i plan to pick up some good quality thermal paste from a local it store, imma get some 100 ohm resistors, the required switching diode and a male parrallell cable from work (electronics store)

what else should i do to get ready for it's arrival?

2. misteromar

Member misteromar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    If the gpu is fried its a waste of time.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I would also consider the penny fix and if you are splashing money around a heat gun helps with these fixes. I assume you have some torx driver bits but other than that you are sorted hardware wise.

Anyhow it seems like you plan on joining the ranks of the JTAG crowd (welcome if so) and if that is the case head on over to xbins ( http://www.360mods.net/index.php?file=deta...;name=downloads ) and load up on software- xbins is great but the 40 odd second wait for it to load IRC, get a password and then load the FTP section when it is "just one more file that I missed before)
    After the usual make sure your dumps are good and you have complete, full backups in many places Good choices in addition to what you need to make a freeboot image are
    xexmenu
    freestyledash
    Flash360 (so much nicer/easier/quicker than using a parallel cable once you have the initial dumps/flashes sorted.
    360 flash tool
    an FTP program (I use filezilla myself)
    xextool and an ISO extractor (I listed a bunch the other day http://gbatemp.net/t244611-ssf4-character-voice-rip )
    iso2god
    nxe2god
    xm360 (an arcade/DLC patcher- works 360 side)
    KV modder, keyvault editor or KVtool- nice for grabbing the DVD key if you need one.

Many of the modern patches (the controller remap, the inbuilt arcade dodging patch*, the ping limit patch and a few more) rely on dashlaunch to work properly so grab that and wind it into your NAND images/building/fiddling if you want those.

*others reading I did not see it spread very far and it is not flawless (some DLC/XBLA uses inbuilt checks in addition to/instead of the 360 menu) but http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=15627.0 is what you want.

4. mercluke
    OP

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    fast: i've been reading through a few of your replies in threads so i feel somewhat versed in what i have to do when it arrives [​IMG]

on a somewhat related note - bunnings did not have the right length screw so i had some fun using bolt cutters and some wet 'n dry to fix that problem (need to do something while i wait for it to arrive [​IMG])

5. mocalacace

Member mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

United States
    After jtagging my first 2 xboxs with the parallel port it was hella slow, and after looking at some more tutorials, you only have to dump the first 2mb (make sure they are identical) and ten you can flash xellous to your NAND and then dump the rest of it in xellous. This method is a hell of alot faster and dumping the NAND with xellous will less likely give you a bad dump. By the way I've jtagged 5 xboxs [​IMG]

6. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    If only I hadn't updated my Falcon before I knew about Jtagging...

7. mercluke
    OP

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
  8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Halo 3 is second wave (as is the second disc of ODST) so yes way under the JTAG killer update. In fact I think wave 2 is actually pre NXE.

Diodes- should be fine. Just as long as you do not use a really slow automotive or similar diode (one built for high voltages/currents but not fast switching).
    I would note some people have gone in for alternate points these days but get it all set up first before we start fiddling.

male/female matters little- most people have a female port on the back of their computer though so that is what it will have to end up as. Indeed I did see some people run the wires into a network port/extension type cable and ultimately convert that to parallel (this was more so repeated flashing could happen, we moved onto software now which as mocalacace said is far nicer to use than having to wait, deal with bad writes/reads, remap bad sectors- MS have them in there on purpose and generally have to deal with clunky hardware and software*).

*the software is great but a few buttons on a control pad (if that) or sending something over network beats fiddling at the command line or a frontend to such a thing.

9. mercluke
    OP

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    so i have (yet another) query and i thought since i'm asking this i may as well also ask something somewhat related..

i) i couldn't find any arctic silver 5 but i did find some arctic mx3 which is apparently great, will this work fine for rrod fix?

ii) in this guide it mentions loosely fitting the screws at first and disabling the fans to make the xbox intentionally overheat... i assume this essentially does the same as the heat gun trick. i was just wondering if it would be better to not apply the thermal paste until after this step just in case the paste stops the cpu and gpu from getting hot enough to actually melt the solder...

iii) do you think there'd be enough paste left from a 3.5g tube to give my pc's gpu and cpu a little blob after i've used some for the 360? [​IMG]

edit: bonus question [​IMG]

iv) does the 12v fan mod have any adverse affects on the 360?

10. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    I don't mean to step on your topic mercluke, but why start another topic? Any way my question is this I had bought a RRoD 360 off ebay about 3 years ago and did the x-clamp fix with great success but about 3 months ago I was getting ready to Jtag it and the day before is was going to do it it RRoD'd again. I bought a dual temp 500/700 heat gun and was wondering if anyone here has done this fix this is going to be my last ditch effort to revive this 360 if it fails I'll just have to mod my original one.

11. mercluke
    OP

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    431unknown: i saw a youtube video detailing exactly how to do it (will find the link in just a minute)

in the video he said make sure you cover all plastic parts in foil to stop them melting, move the heat gun in circular patterns, do not focus on any one point too long and make sure you don't touch any of the chips after heating them up

edit:

12. mocalacace

United States
    Not that I know of, I did it on a zephyr that overheated alot and now its fine

FYI when you are reflow the board do the CPU and GPU at the same time. And do one side at a time and let it sit for 15 minutes. This guy picks the board up half way through to heat up the other side, this is a big no no.

13. 431unknown

United States

He is only lifting the board for the pre heating process, once he starts the actual reflow heating it states in the video not to move the board.

What temp setting should I use? I'm pretty sure my gun is 500 / 700 or 650 / 1100 can't remember off hand here at work all I remember is it was on sale for 15$ at Home Depot behind were I work.

14. gisel213

Member gisel213 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    All true facts just remember use the heatgun if the standard rrod fix fails... it's seriously a last resort but if done properly you will have great results
    but if not done properly you will fry fuses and resistor's also they may come unsoldered dangling/falling off which is a pain in the ass if you can't solder
    them back on...

Someone mentioned the penny fix that's also effective aswell....

Good Luck and cheers if you get it working....

15. mocalacace

United States
    The penny fix worked for my brother for 8 or 9 months then his xbox started freezing on the dashboard

But I have used a heatgun to reflow many motherboards and all but one has worked fine.

16. mercluke
    OP

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    Bah, dx always has to be the bottle neck, doesn't it? [​IMG]

Thermal paste has arrived, screws and washers bought, resistors arrived (waiting
    on the diodes), even 360 has arrived but i still need to wait for the power cord
    and av cable to arrive from dx [​IMG] 

17. 431unknown

United States
    Well I just did the heat gun fix will let you know if it worked after it cools down, if I don't edit this post or reply today I'll definitely will tomorrow.

18. lakaiskateboarding

Member lakaiskateboarding GBAtemp Regular

For me the heat gun fix has worked incredibly well. After this you should improve the cooling (put heatsinks on the scaler chips and ram + extra fan) and it probably won´t fail anymore with a bit of luck.

19. 431unknown

United States
    Works Great! [​IMG] For now anyway [​IMG] , I'll be convinced when it makes it through a heavy session of Halo:reach after I Jtag it. [​IMG]

How about you mercluke did you get your stuff from DX yet?

20. mercluke
    OP

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    great to hear, 431unknown! did you have to go for the 12v fan mod or is it all fine with just the heatgun trick?

on the DX front, still waiting on the power cable [​IMG]
    according to an email they sent it was shipped 10 days ago so i should see it on my doorstep when i get home today [​IMG]

while i was bored the other day i decided to replace the x-clamps and cover the gpu, cpu and ram with some arctic mx-3 as well as open up the dvd drive to see why the description listed the drive as noisy and found a shit-load of cat fur so hopefully that problem should be fixed now too [​IMG]

according to an email they sent me the place i ordered components from doesn't know that i payed them despite paying with paypal within seconds of purchase so itt seems even after i get the power cord, it'll be a bit of a wait to jtag it [​IMG]

also, my drive is a samsung/toshiba ms28 so should i decide to flash it (just for the hell of it) then it should be rather easy accoding to what i've read