Swapping Modded DVD Drives?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by lettuce, Aug 24, 2007.

Aug 24, 2007

Swapping Modded DVD Drives? by lettuce at 9:36 PM (752 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. lettuce
    OP

Member lettuce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Is it possible to swap a Modded DVD Drive (Wiikey) from a PAL system into a US system?? As i have a modded PAL system at the moment, and am hacked off with the PAL releases on the VC channel (50hz, boarders etc) So am thinking of getting a US system, so rather than having this US system modded would it be possible to just change the DVD drives over?

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Well, it's not going to hurt anything to try. Most likely it will work just fine. If it wasn't a modded drive it probably wouldn't work, but with a modded drive with region patching on it'll work just fine. I think you'd have to set the region patching to the region of the drive, not the region of the actual console (so leave it alone, don't change the modchip to reflect a US console if it's a UK dvd drive)

3. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    As far as I can tell from the pictures I've seen, the hardware is the same all around the world. In theory, the swap should work just fine regardless of it's state of modification.

Hooya: The drive simply reports the region of the disk to the console, which then decides whether or not it should boot it. When the drive reports that the disk that is inserted into the NTSC console is an NTSC game, it should boot it with no problems.

4. lettuce
    OP

Member lettuce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Cool, cheers guys