Swapping Gyakuten Saiban 3's audio?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by RyuKakashi, Aug 22, 2007.

Aug 22, 2007
  1. RyuKakashi
    OP

Member RyuKakashi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was wondering if it was possible to swap the english audio to have the japanese voices in english mode? I assume unpacking the rom and finding some offsets in one of the sound files is the way to go?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I guess the voices are wave files for both, not that it matters as long as they are the same.

It is entirely possible (although this is one of the few games I would not do it to).
    Find the sound file (extension is normally SDAT) and unpack, personally I would use ndsts or vinpire's tool as it is just that:
    http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/tools.htm

Scan the start of the file to get some ASCII, these are the names of the files.
    Search for FAT (in ascii) and following that will be a list of hex numbers, do a 32bit byte flip (say each byte was a letter ABCD it should now read DCBA) and that is the offset of the files, the (probably 4 hex digit) number following it is the length of the file (it is not the same as the next offset minus the current one as there is padding).
    Line up the names and offsets to get what you want.
    Swap the old numbers for the new (include the lengths) and reinsert (use NDSTS for this as ndstool (and by extension the frontends which use it) and some carts do not agree).