Swapping between real nand and Sneek2 nand on same sd card?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jaybee, Feb 19, 2010.

1. jaybee
    OP

Member jaybee GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Just wondering if there is any apps out there that would enable this to work to save having to rename the bootmii folders? [​IMG]

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    SNEEK has no access to the (apps on the) SD card if I'm right, so probably not

3. jaybee
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeh I see your point, but as Sneek2 treats the sd card as the nand is there not an app which could access the bootmii folder from there? In other words a small app that runs from a channel that can swap the bootmii folders over and then force a reboot?

It would be in theory on the sd card but running as if on the nand. Obviously in real nand mode it would just boot an app from sd that could do the swap over.

It all depends on wether the system can access folders in the root of its nand, then it would be a possibility.

It would be so cool if you could swap these over at will without touching your sd card. Just my theory anyways. [​IMG]

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Good points. I was going to suggest bootmiiswitch (when put on a USB-drive), but I guess that if you run it from within sneek, it also can't find either SD:\bootmii or SD:\~bootmii. Perhaps (I'm not a coder) it could be rewritten to check for NAND:\bootmii and NAND:\~bootmii as well to make it work. But then again, it may not be the best solution (any bugs anywhere and you've got all sorts of stuff lingering around on your real NAND).

5. jaybee
    OP

United Kingdom
    That's a good point, but I suppose it would be low risk if the sd card was backed up prior to trying it? Its not going to brick the Wii tho is it? I suppose if I had a version of sneek2 which could access the sd card I suppose using something like wii xplorer would also do the trick to enable you to rename the folder from there? Am I right?

I suppose the ultimate solution would be if it was possible to implement the bootmii dol at boot time and give a choice via the wii remote to select sneek or bootmii for normal boot. [​IMG]

6. jaybee
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeh I see your point entirely. I thought sneek had finished with the bootmii folder after booting but obviously not [​IMG]

I think in this case we need usb and sd support in sneek that doesnt fubar the sd card! Which would be awesome! I dont want to appear ungrateful at all as I think what we have at the moment is amazing. I guess I will just have to put up with swapping over sd cards for the time being. I am certain that there is a way to do it though but obviously the files within the bootmii folder must not be in use so I guess this would involve patching the sys menu or something so screw that for the moment! lol [​IMG]

7. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    You can also just take the SD card out and put it back in after the wii has booted [​IMG]

8. jaybee
    OP

United Kingdom
    hehe! Nah I just power it off first! It's safer that way! [​IMG]

Just think guys with a fully working sneek2 implementation there would be far fewer wii bricking idiots in this world wouldn't there? Also there would be less people like me bitching about certain wiiware titles not working with Triiforce! [​IMG]

9. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Lol, thats what I meant:
    * Turn off Wii
    * Remove SD card
    * Let Wii boot
    * ???
    * Profit!

[​IMG]

10. jaybee
    OP

United Kingdom
    Dude I gotta play it safe I cant afford to brick my wii otherwise I will be classed as a new kind of idiot! [​IMG]

11. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    There's nothing unsafe about what I just said
    [​IMG]

12. jaybee
    OP

United Kingdom
    I know mate. I was only kidding. [​IMG]

13. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I also thought the bootmii folder was just to get sneek up and running. Seems like I've also accidentally learned something.

*grinn* indeed. On the bright side, at least it doesn't take hours to troubleshoot someone who gets a black screen after he shuts down his wii. [​IMG]

14. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    there is absolutely 0% chance that taking the SD card out of the wii while sneek is running will brick the wii. if anything, it will brick the nand on your sd card.

the only way to switch from sneek back to the real nand is to do what people have said and turn off the wii and turn it back on. otherwise, you will need to add a command to give to sneek so it will load a real FFS module off teh SD card, and then that FFS module will know how to access the real nand, so you can then use that to reload a real IOS from the real nand and you will be back to where you want to be.