steve007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo Pulls 3DS Feature, Says Kids Were Sharing "Offensive Material"

ku-bigpic.png

Nintendo just turned off one of the online features of the 3DS, seemingly forever, deactivating the online support for its note-sharing SwapNote service on systems worldwide. The company did this, effective 10pm ET today, after saying SwapNote was "actively misused" to transmit "offensive material" among system users, including minors.
SwapNote is a cute, free Nintendo-made app that lets users create and share hand-written notes and drawings. Users can connect the program to the Internet and, with SpotPass activated, transmit and receive notes.
According to Nintendo, that service was exploited to send offensive material. The company is saying the only way to stop this is to deactivate SwapNote's online functionality. This is effective around the world and, notably, Nintendo was able to do this without requiring users to make any changes on their end.
If you have a 3DS and have SpotPass activated, you probably just got this news in the form of a blue light flashing on the system and the following note in the system's notifications interface:
Notice about service for Nintendo 3DS software Swapnote

Thank you for your support.
Nintendo has learned that some consumers, including minors, have been exchanging their friend codes on Internet bulletin boards and then using Swapnote (known as Nintendo Letter Box in other regions) to exchange offensive material. Nintendo has been investigating ways of preventing this and determined it is best to stop the SpotPass feature of Swapnote because it allows direct exchange of photos and was actively misused.
Nintendo always wants to provide a positive experience for all consumers and limit the risk of any inappropriate activity or misuse of a service. We feel it is important on this occasion to take this action.
We are very sorry for any inconvenience to the many consumers who have been using this service responsibly; however this decision was made considering the point that many minors also use this feature of Swapnote. Thank you for your understanding.
Nintendo will continue to work to ensure more consumers are aware of our Parental Control features, which allow parents to manage their children's experience on our systems. For more information,
Service stop date: Thursday, Oct. 31, 2013, 7 p.m. PT
Service being stopped: Nintendo 3DS software Swapnote – Sending and receiving notes using SpotPass
Affected regions: All regions where the service was offered
Special Notes services are also stopped​
Nintendo itself has regularly sent notes to 3DS owners about new and upcoming games. The messages are often addressed from Nintendo's top creators. But it seems like all online functionality for SpotPass is being cut off.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is the dumbest thing I've read in a long, long time.

I don't see how Nintendo could be held in any way responsible for the messages sent over their services - it's the sender who chooses to send offensive material and it's the sender who violates the license agreement of the service - the service itself is perfectly fine and not faulty hence there is no real hook that could pull Nintendo down in terms of liability. Nintendo's as much responsible for SwapNote message content as Yahoo! is of E-Mail messages.

This move is done simply because it's easier to shut down a service than to improve it with a system of moderation and reporting, because as we all know, Nintendo doesn't understand the Internet.

Deadvolt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guess I will be deleting that app now.. lol
never honestly used it, but it seemed like a neat toy.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Next, they will pull down MiiVerse drawing support because people are drawing inappropriate drawings and the mods not catching them fast enough

Reactions: MushGuy

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i just realized that this video is very appropriate. I will proceed to post it here for future reference:

EDIT: Oh, by the way steve007 - this is a literal copy-paste of an article. Re-word it or write your own on the basis of the source and re-format it, until then, unfortunately Reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1