Hacking Survey: What will everyone do when nothing happens? (Part 2, November 9, 2017)

What will you do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

delete12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Previous Survey:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/survey-...hing-happens-part-1-september-23-2017.484917/

Recent important relevant events happening in between the surveys:

Apparently it is possible to trick NES Golf into loading on your Switch:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/apparen...-nes-golf-into-loading-on-your-switch.485956/

PegaSwitch 3.0, libtransistor, and more:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/pegaswitch-3-0-libtransistor-and-more.485633/

Nintendo Switch bootrom dumped:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-bootrom-dumped.486841/

Nintendo Switch 4.0.0 Firmware Update Landed
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-4-0-0.487177/

Nintendo Switch 4.0.1 Firmware Update Landed
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-update-4-0-1-released.487785/

Super Mario Odyssey is released
https://gbatemp.net/review/super-mario-odyssey.665/

Kernel exploit was achieved
https://gbatemp.net/threads/kexploit-for-switch-achieved-by-plutoo-and-friends-no-release.488213/

Hulu is now released to the Nintendo Switch
https://gbatemp.net/threads/hulu-comes-to-the-nintendo-switch.488888/

Survey Question:

"smhax" is a very, very "potential" exploit that I know almost everyone following it is excited for. But let's just assume nothing happens indefinitely into the future.

Yes, I know, this is some "weird" way of thinking, and this "idea", this "false dichotomy", this "stupid question" will never stay true to the end of time, and "smhax" will eventually happen one way or another. But I really want you to assume it's not happening. That 0.0000...01% of it.

What will you do when "smhax" is nothing but a rumor, a myth, a legend, a "Holy Grail" that never happened? When that happens, please answer the survey!

Purpose:

This is a 2-part survey that I will be personally conducting. This is for me to gather information and evaluate from a sample size of the volunteers who answered the poll, to see what is the current trend at this point in time. Poll survey will close in 20 days. There are 3 scenarios that will occur 30 days (no, not a typo) from now that I am very curious on the effects in this community:
  • Super Mario Odyssey (aka, the release day marks the Before/After hype cycle effect)
  • smhax is happening! (aka, best case scenario occurring since the start of this poll)
  • smhax is not happening! (aka, the current scenario, 30 days later)
I am polling upon what is known about the effects of the hype cycle, and how it can affect the community in a narrowly-focused fashion. We can then compare the before poll results and after poll results, to determine what has happened, if there is a shift, and other interesting things.

Rules:
  • Everything is the same as the first survey.
  • This is a long term study I am conducting. (Of minimum of 30 days at the earliest)
  • Voting result is publicly available to everyone.
  • You cannot vote more than once for accuracy reasons, and to reduce potentially misleading results.
  • Poll will close in 20 days thereafter.
  • The 1st part of the survey starts now. The 2nd part of the survey starts in minimum of 30 days later. (It can be 35 days, or more, depending on future unforeseen, uncontrollable circumstances.)
  • Both 1st part and 2nd part surveys will have identical thread titles (sans the date), poll questions and answers. This is for accurate comparisons only.
  • I cannot do advanced data statistics, because I'm not well versed in statistics.
  • Anything goes in the comments. I'm happy to take in feedback!

Thank you to all volunteers, stay safe and I still love you all, bros and gals!

Last edited by delete12345,
Reactions: blinkzane

ItsTheWolf

Splatoon 2 Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Will intentionally update whenever Splatoon 2 decide to not let me play online because of outdated fw.
Will unintentionally update whenever I get impatient and mash the A button and accidentally allow it to update.

X2XO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased another Switch yesterday. Wasn't my intention to do so originally but the wait turned out harder than I thought :\

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Can we just stop with this nonsense? Can't people do as they please with their damn consoles without people debating to update or not?

Reactions: RedHunter

shixooo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Mario odyssey is a masterpiece,Doom is the best ported game for a console ever and xenoblade goona be a beast,so why I'll keep my switch outdated :)

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
i would love some sort of hax on my switch , but tbh i will be updating the moment i see a game that is very appealing to me and is only playable on the switch.
i will update away for a game if nothing comes etc.

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
None of the above.

If no hacks are released within the next few months, I'm selling my Switch (on fw 2.2.0), preferably before a new model comes out (if a new model ever comes out).

I just hope I get at least the same/roughly the same amount of money I paid for it. Asshole devs, dangling carrots in front of us. "Ooooh, look at what I can do and you can't."

Last edited by DSpider,
Reactions: MonMonz and Jayro

MeowMeowMeow

S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ
Trophies
D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
XP
Country
Netherlands
Honestly thought more people would not update. I could live with 3.0 and under games.
Question is for how long? If you have to wait +1 year why do you bought the switch, in the first place?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I still don't own a switch.
But I might just update it to play the game I want. If I'll buy one for a game I want, no reason to keep it low if I can't play the game which I specifically bought the console for. (I hope my grammar's good enough)

Reactions: wicksand420

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my switch is still on its launch firmware, its never been used since i got bored of BOT after the first few weeks.

must say it makes a nice paper weight lol.

Reactions: Thelonewolf88

RedHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think I'll wait for maybe another year. My new Xbox One X will be a good way to pass the time. People who already update should have known it takes time to get the good stuff.

Reactions: DayVeeBoi
D

Deleted User

I think I'll wait for maybe another year. My new Xbox One X will be a good way to pass the time. People who already update should have known it takes time to get the good stuff.
Maybe. Or maybe we'd like to use a $300 console. I agree with this statement:
Well, I continued to update my 3DS until a hack caught up to me, years later. Probably do the same, if I had a Switch.
It is probably best to update because eventually a hack will catch up. Every firmware is not without its flaws.
Besides, maybe by that time I will be ready to softmod my Switch.

Thelonewolf88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple, I use and collect other stuff. Still have PSP's on 1.00 and 1.50, 3DS's on 1.00 and 4.5 and about 30 other systems from 1977-2017 and thousands of games to mess with.

One of my Switch's is on 2.00 and boxed away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...