Gaming Supreme FX 2 sound card decent enough for 5.1 headset?

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So I've got a ASUS P5E motherboard and that includes a Supreme FX 2 sound card. In the back I have 5 sound outputs, and after a few years I finally want to use them.
I'm looking into several headsets and I'm currently thinking about buying a Roccat Kave 5.1.

[youtube]HnF9S3jECZ4[/youtube]

21698d1290488115-roccat-kave-5-1-gaming-headset-review-roccat-kave-5.1-gaming-headset.jpg

It has 5.1 support (5 connectors included! + USB), a microphone which was essential to me, and it stays well under 100 dollars. Fits all my requirements.
Now I'm wondering if my Supreme FX 2 is good enough to support this headset and can deliver the performance for this beastly headset.

Also, do all games support 5.1 sound? Probably not?

My primary use will be for games, especially FPS games, to hear the enemies better.

PS: If you want to suggest another headset, please do so. It must have a microphone though
smile.gif

Zalda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
actually i'm looking for the same question!
i too have a supreme fx2 card, will it be enough to FULLY use the capabilities of the kave 5.1?

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think it's more handy to use a headset, with the microphone attached. It only takes one device to plug-in, takes up less space, ....
Also I have a semi-decent headset now and my KDR has DEFINITELY improved. I can hear the enemies much much better, enabling me to react faster and analyse where they are coming from. So surround sound will definitely improve your KDR even more. My current headset has 2 drivers, if I have 5 in them, surely it will be even better?

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Like posted before its usually not smart to go for 5.1 headsets. It is just changing 5.1 sound into stereo anyway something which a cheap soundcard can do just as well or better.
Headphones like this are connected trough usb so a soundcard is completely irrelevant.
Your best bet is to buy a separate headphone and mike as both combined costs more for the same audio quality.
Your sound chip is not so good its just integraded and will most likely not be much better than any other integraded however money spend on upgrading it could better be spend on the headphone.
For the mic I would go for a cheap directional desktop mic or clip on mic (not 2$ chinese crap just a little step above that).
For the headphone well there are a lot of choices for 60/90€ best look on some audiophile forums for that.
If you really want a headset go for a non usb headset from a company which has headphones as its core and not gaming accessories.
Sennheiser for example makes quite good headsets. Especially the pc360 is well known to be good but a bit over your budget.
Turtle Beach also makes good headsets.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Like posted before its usually not smart to go for 5.1 headsets. It is just changing 5.1 sound into stereo anyway something which a cheap soundcard can do just as well or better.
Headphones like this are connected trough usb so a soundcard is completely irrelevant.
Your best bet is to buy a separate headphone and mike as both combined costs more for the same audio quality.
Your sound chip is not so good its just integraded and will most likely not be much better than any other integraded however money spend on upgrading it could better be spend on the headphone.
For the mic I would go for a cheap directional desktop mic or clip on mic (not 2$ chinese crap just a little step above that).
For the headphone well there are a lot of choices for 60/90€ best look on some audiophile forums for that.
If you really want a headset go for a non usb headset from a company which has headphones as its core and not gaming accessories.
Sennheiser for example makes quite good headsets. Especially the pc360 is well known to be good but a bit over your budget.
Turtle Beach also makes good headsets.
I've bought the Roccat Kave 5.1 headset and so far it's pretty amazing. The equaliser thingy is really handy, and it really makes the front/rear left/right noticeable. I bought this, against your judgements, because I really want an all-in-one package, so headphones + microphone.
It's more compact this way. This set-up is much better than my last set-up, the sound just blows my decent headset out of the water.
I've already changed the sound to 5.1 on some games, and it's definitely noticeable and handy. It gives me an enormous advantage, unlike that image says. I really does help locate enemies, and hence, giving me an advantage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte