Supreme Court Strikes Down Key DOMA Provisions

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Gahars, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    The Supreme Court has been considering several cases surrounding the controversial topic of gay marriage. Today, after much deliberation, the court has released its rulings on the cases.

:arrow: Huffington Post

The Supreme Court has also ruled on Proposition 8, the measure in California banning gay marriage in the state. While the court sidestepped ruling on the issue of gay marriage nationwide, it seems to have referred to a lower court's finding, meaning that gay marriage would be legal once more in California. Of course, the decision is still being scoured and analyzed, so there may be something we're missing at the moment.

[​IMG]

Homosexuals must feel pretty gay right now.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    DAMN GOOD NEWS!
    It's about time some true progress started happening to this country! Now let's hope we keep going with this progress and don't step back from it.

Ron and DinohScene like this.
  3. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    semi-related google easter egg.

[​IMG]

4. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Unrelated kinda, but still good news, apparently, the DOW closed at +100 points and the NASDAQ was up 46 something yesterday... interesting.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  5. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    welcome to the 21st century America.

6. dickfour

dickfour Banned

Banned
    Jun 20, 2011
    United States
    You can put a sign on a cow that says horse but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a cow. So called gay marriage isn't the same and it isn't equal. The purpose of marriage for the past 20,000 years has been the perpetuation of the race. Period. On the bright side states still have the right to define marriage and 38 have defined that between a man and a woman

7. EzekielRage

EzekielRage Hero of the Void

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    Somebody REALLY has to get some history facts right... Pretty much EVERYTHING you said there is just wrong... Except the cow part...

8. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London

We get it you're a homophobic shit.

Armadillo, tigris, Izzy011 and 26 others like this.
  9. weiff

weiff GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2006
    I will probably get some flak for my opinion, but I am sick of groups wanting special treatment for being different then complaining when we do not treat them the same as every other group. This is not specifically about sex, gender, capability, race, etc.

You, whoever you are, whatever you choose to be, BE THAT. If that excludes you from certain rights, then that is what happens. If you want those rights, you change so that you get them... not whine and complain until everyone else says you can have it both ways.

ProtoKun7 likes this.
  10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Aren't these debates ever so exciting and wholesome?

11. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London

I don't think people choose who they fall in love with.

gamefan5, Felipe_9595 and mercluke like this.
  12. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Meanwhile we have politician saying,
    Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26/michele-bachmann-doma_n_3504640.html

As an American, I'm ashamed on what our politician is saying.

13. jonesman99

jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

Nov 10, 2008
    United States
    A Star Called Metropolis
    Then how about this, you go down to Africa and give this same speech to the hundreds or thousands of people who are forced to live life a lie because there are no laws at least giving them the right to be human beings, as they would be brutally executed publicly in broad daylight, or even denied medication as they still see HIV and AIDS as a homosexual disease or virus.

This is a good thing in terms of civil rights and human rights, at least for Americans in California. Not coming at you, just wanted to point that out.

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    But this is not about getting special rights, it's about getting the same rights as everyone and being treated as equals.

gamefan5, Sicklyboy and DinohScene like this.
  15. weiff

weiff GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2006
    How is it not?

They have chosen to have a relationship that is different from the written law... and now they want the same rights as that law.

16. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    The Lord knows I am not without sin but:

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

So yea you guys be happy about it.

May you all be forgiven.

Jesus brought with him a new covenent, so truthfully should probably just pray for them. Don't go killing ppl because of me.

Last edited by Ericthegreat, Jun 30, 2015
    Bobbybangin and evandixon like this.
  17. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Special treatment isn't overturning an unfair law. If it is, then man, the black Americans back in the 60's should have stopped fighting for those civil rights. Why did they deserve that special treatment? I mean, the law was that they didn't have those rights. What made them think they were so special?

Yeah, that's pretty much what you sound like right now.

Depravo, gamefan5, Gahars and 2 others like this.
  18. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    O rly? That's how it is not.

Did someone say interracial marriage? Anyone? Yeah, laws do change.

While the bible may hold some guidance, it has been changed, translated, and reinterpreted some many times, over so many years.

19. smile72

smile72 NewsBot

Sep 23, 2010
    ???
    Not for much longer they won't....I give it a decade before Mormons are marrying the same sex in Utah.

20. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

Dec 2, 2007
    Perth
    Change who you are to be allowed the same basic rights and treatments as everyone else?

21. Armadillo
    This message by Armadillo has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jun 27, 2013, Reason: Not EOF.
    Jun 27, 2013
  22. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jun 27, 2013, Reason: Not EOF.
    Jun 27, 2013