Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay first a sequence of events.

1. switch is OG serial type very low serial
2. Is friends and Modded
3. was not used for months to a year so battery died and I charged it out of autoRCM (Took hours) then updated to SXOS 2.8 (with full battery)
4. I disabled Auto RCM, then after a while the switch would not wake up from the power button or turn on from it, just the home button in sleep and the charger if off. So I was like great dead power button from holding it to hard while getting it turn off to charge in rcm hell? I open the switch and unplug the battery to check the button and it seems okay but I read its a common failure on non modded switchs (my volume buttons still worked though) so order one off ifixit.
5. Leave for a week while on a business trip.
6. get back swap the button(don't think I damaged anything as I work in laptops a lot) but now it seems to not charge at all as in when in charging from off it at least got warm to the touch as the battery charged before. Does not even seem to respond to the charger now. Do you think the battery has been drained so much that it is below where it can charge, and also if the battery is bad is the switch still supposed to do anything with the charger or does it need the battery first? I was thinking of opening my switch which is fine and fully charged and attaching my battery cable (will probably have to remove my battery now that I think about it) and see if the power button will do anything.
7. I have tried with and without the sdcard, dongle, jig. Each with the 15 seconds between then waiting another 5 if it was gonna turn back on into say RCM by it self.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks.
Malcolm

Last edited by rvcjew,

bootaholic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay first a sequence of events.

1. switch is OG serial type very low serial
2. Is friends and Modded
3. was not used for months to a year so battery died and I charged it out of autoRCM (Took hours) then updated to SXOS 2.8 (with full battery)
4. I disabled Auto RCM, then after a while the switch would not wake up from the power button or turn on from it, just the home button in sleep and the charger if off. So I was like great dead power button from holding it to hard while getting it turn off to charge in rcm hell? I open the switch and unplug the battery to check the button and it seems okay but I read its a common failure on non modded switchs (my volume buttons still worked though) so order one off ifixit.
5. Leave for a week while on a business trip.
6. get back swap the button(don't think I damaged anything as I work in laptops a lot) but now it seems to not charge at all as in when in charging from off it at least got warm to the touch as the battery charged before. Does not even seem to respond to the charger now. Do you think the battery has been drained so much that it is below where it can charge, and also if the battery is bad is the switch still supposed to do anything with the charger or does it need the battery first? I was thinking of opening my switch which is fine and fully charged and attaching my battery cable (will probably have to remove my battery now that I think about it) and see if the power button will do anything.
7. I have tried with and without the sdcard, dongle, jig. Each with the 15 seconds between then waiting another 5 if it was gonna turn back on into say RCM by it self.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks.
Malcolm
I have recovered every battery that wasn't liquid damaged, I doubt the battery is bad. Disconnect the power button and try to charge again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

rvcjew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have recovered every battery that wasn't liquid damaged, I doubt the battery is bad. Disconnect the power button and try to charge again.

As in charge it with it open and the card reader/metal panel off? while the power ribbon is completely disconnected?
Thanks for your help by the way.
Malcolm

rvcjew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As in charge it with it open and the card reader/metal panel off? while the power ribbon is completely disconnected?
Thanks for your help by the way.
Malcolm

bootaholic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Pull metal cover off the back, disconnect the power button ribbon cable and then check the charging. Since the console charged before you replaced the power button this seems like the likely culprit. If the ribbon cable is not seated properly or the pins were damaged and are now shorted this can cause the console to not charge or power on.

SolidSnakeUk89

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it appears you may have the 3v pin shorted to ground of the power button or that the game card daughterboard lego connector was not plugged in properly (I have suffered from switches that appear dead just because that connector is not in properly) also the same with the SD card board may happen (although not happened to me yet) so those are the things I would check first.

send pics if you see something strange.

rvcjew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Everyone I'v been super busy and finally got time to crack this open and try all the suggestions, I currently have it charging with the button ribbon off and the sdcard slot not plugged in, I will see if the battery even starts to get warm. I take it the switch has no internal light that should come on while it's charging, and that having the sdcard board off will not stop this from charging correct?

I have attached many pictures that you can all take a look at and see if anything is amiss.

Thanks for your time.
Malcolm
20191109_155743.jpg 20191109_155746.jpg 20191109_155804.jpg 20191109_155810.jpg 20191109_155815.jpg 20191109_155818.jpg 20191109_160653.jpg

rvcjew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I had it on the charger for a day no change. battery did not get hot, I found my usb tester finally and with my good switch the tester turns on and says its charging at 15v .24a at full charge and sitting idle in Horizon with stock adapter. The tester when plugged into the bad switch will start to start up itself then turn off so I guess it's a fuse on the main board? Will the switch still try to pull any power if my battery has indeed gone bad?

Thanks.
Malcolm

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so I had it on the charger for a day no change. battery did not get hot, I found my usb tester finally and with my good switch the tester turns on and says its charging at 15v .24a at full charge and sitting idle in Horizon with stock adapter. The tester when plugged into the bad switch will start to start up itself then turn off so I guess it's a fuse on the main board? Will the switch still try to pull any power if my battery has indeed gone bad?

Have you got a multimeter if so unplug the battery and test the voltage of it.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

rvcjew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the points I circled to test and got nothing, then tried sticking my probes in the gold contact areas above it but I don't know if my probes are thin enough to get down there but I did use some force so I would think I would have had some contact. If the battery is fully dead will the usbic interface not fire up fully hence my non running usb tester? I would assume my probes are doing just fine on the solder points of that latch. I think I have a dead battery.

Malcolm

20191110_234253.jpg 20191110_234327.jpg

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
if you have 2 switches there is just enough room on the wire to connect the battery from 1 switch to the other if you put them back to back without removing it, its a bit fiddly but possible, the charging ic on the switch can break (unfortunately i think people always just assert this only happens with third party docks, but i have had many switches with this fault that were supposedly never used on a third party dock), if you battery is fully charged on the working one you can see if the broken one works with a charged battery, or go the other route and see if the non working switch battery charges ok in the working console

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its strange to have nothing at all coming from the battery, with the battery disconnected test the battery connector for a short to ground, if its ok do as @gamesquest1 says and test with your other switch battery.

rvcjew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have 2 switches there is just enough room on the wire to connect the battery from 1 switch to the other if you put them back to back without removing it, its a bit fiddly but possible, the charging ic on the switch can break (unfortunately i think people always just assert this only happens with third party docks, but i have had many switches with this fault that were supposedly never used on a third party dock), if you battery is fully charged on the working one you can see if the broken one works with a charged battery, or go the other route and see if the non working switch battery charges ok in the working console
Yeah I figured this too but I also just ordered some thinner leads to make sure I am actually getting contact to the battery to make sure it is indeed dead and even then I might just get a new one off like ifixit as I really don't even want to risk my own switch with even opening it up as its flawless at the moment.

The leads will be in tomorrow so I will report back then.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Its strange to have nothing at all coming from the battery, with the battery disconnected test the battery connector for a short to ground, if its ok do as @gamesquest1 says and test with your other switch battery.
Stupid Question #2, I'm a little confused on how to properly test for a short to ground. That is not just testing for continuity between the positive and negative on the connector on the board right?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah I figured this too but I also just ordered some thinner leads to make sure I am actually getting contact to the battery to make sure it is indeed dead and even then I might just get a new one off like ifixit as I really don't even want to risk my own switch with even opening it up as its flawless at the moment.

The leads will be in tomorrow so I will report back then.
sorry i thought you had already opened the second switch to compare voltages, but you can get a battery charger to charge the battery externally then plug it in and see if it works using something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP4056-U...629465?hash=item36344bfe19:g:J3QAAOSwukVbIinT

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ah see that's were you're wrong it's the shitbox everything has to be very serious