Hacking supposed 3DS dev unit spotted on JPN Yahoo Auctions...

karmasore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

While browsing the Japanese Yahoo Auction site for special edition 3DS packages, I came across an interesting auction. There seems to be a 3DS development unit for sale for 50,000 yen (roughly $620.00 USD). I don't know too much about these things. However, it is something that has sparked my curiosity.

What are the chances that this thing can read unsigned code? What kind of advantages to the homebrew scene would this provide?

Here's the link to the auction. Opening it in Google Chrome will give you an option to translate it to English if you need help reading it.

http://page.auctions...ction/159107597

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Oh no, it's still interesting and everything, I just wanted to get the "it won't do anything" out of the way before we get our usual wave of idiots in the 3DS Hacking Section. If anything I'd say this should be moved to the 3DS Console Discussion area! But...I'm not a Mod so I can do anything. :P

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can read unsigned code, but that doesn't do much for us with retail systems.

Nope. Not at all. That is an incorrect rumour.

The code IS signed. Judging by this unit I'd guess it's approximately SDK rev 0.14.21...maybe even a little bit earlier.
Normal developers can't import things to this is unit without a key guarded (slightly lower) than the retail key. In order to import to the rev you NEED that key. It's actually pretty difficult for developers to get even from Nintendo.

There are 2 (main) keys for developer systems:

1- The SD importing key (given to most every developer, ONLY works on units with more recent revisions)
2- The NAND importing key (given to TRUSTED developers, can import things to any unit/rev)

I doubt this seller is including the NAND key, and much less the SDK, so GL to the buyer getting both of those.

Reactions: 2 people

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The code IS signed. Judging by this unit I'd guess it's approximately SDK rev 0.14.21...maybe even a little bit earlier.
Normal developers can't import things to this is unit without a key guarded (slightly lower) than the retail key. In order to import to the rev you NEED that key. It's actually pretty difficult for developers to get even from Nintendo.

1- The SD importing key (given to most every developer, ONLY works on units with more recent revisions)
2- The NAND importing key (given to TRUSTED developers, can import things to any unit/rev)

I doubt this seller is including the NAND key, and much less the SDK, so GL to the buyer getting both of those.
Oh, I didn't know that. My mistake.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
As stated, it's not unsigned code. The ability to run unsigned code, even on a dev unit, is very helpful towards hacking a device because it means you can start probing the internals (hardware and software), and even though dev units differ from retail units most of the important parts will be the same.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As stated, it's not unsigned code. The ability to run unsigned code, even on a dev unit, is very helpful towards hacking a device because it means you can start probing the internals (hardware and software), and even though dev units differ from retail units most of the important parts will be the same.
Some rich hacker should buy a legit dev unit, then. :D

karmasore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for the information and great insight. :yay:

NathanDuma

Trophies
XP
If it could run unsigned code then it could be used to make emulators / the homebrew channel before the 3ds gets hacked.

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some rich hacker should buy a legit dev unit, then. :D
Ring Ring~ Neimod, do you hear me?

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Blasty says he already has one of these units.. maybe a fair assumption neimod does himself. or at least have Blasty help with it.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Thing is, if anyone did have some keys to sign with.. you wouldn't know about it because that is obviously not going to be spread around, much like newer SDK versions. It's spread among people who can actually use it. So no it's still not worthwhile for the OP at all really but these can be potentially useful tools and i'd pay that or quite a bit above that no problem. However i can't read Japanese, so meh.

NathanDuma

Trophies
XP
If it could run unsigned code then it could be used to make emulators / the homebrew channel before the 3ds gets hacked.

And here we go with the noobs...
Gives some of us newcomers a bad name.
Hey look, don't call me a noob. I actually have a good point. Put unsigned code on it, then you can make an app and put it on the 3ds through an exploit when there is one. Then you can have the code ready for "injecting"

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And here we go with the noobs...
Gives some of us newcomers a bad name.
Hey look, don't call me a noob. I actually have a good point. Put unsigned code on it, then you can make an app and put it on the 3ds through an exploit when there is one. Then you can have the code ready for "injecting"

You have a point that was commented on already for what it would need to work. You obviously didn't read that part of the thread before commenting,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: