Support GBAtemp and browse ad-free & more!

generic-header.png

We have managed to achieve some pretty incredible things in the last month - we have successfully rebuilt the site from the ground-up on the latest forum software and have moved to an ultra powerful server to make the site faster and more responsive than ever! Behind the scenes, we are always looking for ways to improve our user experience and bring fresh & exciting content and features to the temp.

However, in order to make these things happen and to be able to keep providing you with fresh editorial content and to conserve our freedom as an independent community, free from the constraints of a parent media conglomerate; we need your help.

Previously we launched a campaign on Patreon to help support us but despite a positive response, it never really took off and we found being shackled behind Patreon's restrictions and terms too limiting.

That's why we are today launching our built-in user upgrades system!

accountupgrades.png

Choose to support us directly on GBAtemp through our payment partners PayPal and Stripe and choose payment options such as Apple Pay, Google Pay, VISA etc. You can even choose to pay with your GBAtemp XP at a conversion rate of 1000XP = $1USD :D (more details to follow).

By supporting us you unlock the following exclusive features:
  • Complete ad-free access on desktop and mobile ($5pcm tier and up)
  • Early access to new site features
  • Early access to new site styles (tempStyle 3.2 NFO perhaps.....?)
  • Merchandise give-aways
  • A customisable banner that adorns your posts and profile
  • A custom palette and other customisable options for your blog and user profile
  • A listing on the Patron member page
  • Access to the patron exclusive chat room
  • That feeling that your supporting one of the longest running independent communities on the web - NEARLY 20 YEARS STRONG!
no_ads.png
Please note that if you were previously a Patron - your upgrade is now deactivated as your last payment on Patreon was made over a month ago. Please consider resubscribing - your existing perk settings will be kept intact.​

Please visit our Account Upgrades page below for further information or feel free to ask any questions below.

Whether you choose to contribute or not, thank you all for your continued support and being members of the GBAtemp community!

:arrow: Account Upgrades

Last edited by shaunj66,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perks for payments is fine. But listing "ad-free" as one of them is kinda shady imo, when things like uBlock Origin exist for free. Were there actually people browsing this (or any other) site without an ad blocker?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Perks for payments is fine. But listing "ad-free" as one of them is kinda shady imo, when things like uBlock Origin exist for free. Were there actually people browsing this (or any other) site without an ad blocker?
How is it shady? You're free to use an ad-blocker, but by doing so you're not financially supporting the site.
People who do want to financially support the site can then choose to either have ads or pay for ad-free.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Running a big site costs money. (Sadly) the well-established, mainstream way of monetization on the internet is advertising. A significant amount of users is already using blockers (and a frequent reply on this are anti-ad-block scripts instead of offering sensible alternatives) but overall online advertising is still working.

I don't care for all the eye candy stuff, did never set any profile colors/banner and turned off the custom colors in the accessibility options seconds after seeing the first colored profile (everybody go ahead and hate me for this). For me the "ad-free" is the only reason to pay. It is a statement: "There must be another way to run sites besides ads!"

The network wide Pi Hole, uMatrix and uBlock Origin stay on, even for GBAtemp. There are other things to block besides ads, like annoying animated .gif files. There are a lot of reasons for ad-block, but this goes too much off topic here. The only difference between me paying or not paying for GBAtemp is how I feel: Using this site daily and profiting from it, it would feel wrong to not give anything back. The patron status was removed after the new system went online… and I wouldn't even have noticed if there wasn't this article on the front page. The pages my browser rendered didn't look any different yesterday.

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything to keep that annoying window on the right side of the browser from popping up with videos blocking part of the screen!

All joking aside (cuz that wasn’t a joke), this has been one of my favorite sites for many years and I’d be happy to support it. :creep:

Reactions: Chary

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Good stuff. The XP payment is an interesting idea.
Ehm...

Had an account for 14 years.

I'm just 1000xp short to buy a one month subscription for ad-free...

I smell a gateway-offer into the payed subscription model.... ;)

But its nice to know, that to gbatemp I'm worth the equivalent of 4USD - if they can pay me in their own virtual currency reward model.. ;) That grounds you.. ;)

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Ehm...

Had an account for 14 years.

I'm just 1000xp short to buy a one month subscription for ad-free...

I smell a gateway-offer into the payed subscription model.... ;)
a gateway offer? that would never work here :)
however, we do have other cool ideas for using XP as real life currency!
and that requires us not to value the XP currency too high, otherwise there will be abuse / we will go bankrupt :D

besides, if everyone uses XP as form of payment, then no one will send actual money - and yet actual money is needed to keep boat afloat. XP wont pay the bills :P

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
a gateway offer? that would never work here :)
however, we do have other cool ideas for using XP as real life currency!
and that requires us not to value the XP currency too high, otherwise there will be abuse / we will go bankrupt :D

besides, if everyone uses XP as form of payment, then no one will send actual money - and yet actual money is needed to keep boat afloat. XP wont pay the bills :P
Great. :)

And yes, probably would not work here too well... ;)

HylianLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp. I guess I got a couple months of ad-free with my previous donation, so that's cool. Not really a fan of subscriptions in general though so it looks like I'm back to having ads.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, now I have to pay in order to get a custom color palette? Bummer...
The palette options locked behind Patron status have always been locked behind Patron status. The site-wide color options from the old theme aren't implemented yet. (And it might take a while because they aren't charging for it.)

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
1000XP per $1USD? Jeez, that's a bit too high for my experience level! I suppose that would be for those who have been on here WAAAAAAAY longer than me!
you mean "posts more" than you, ive been here for like a year only and ive renewed my patronship with xp twice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself