Supercard vs. Acekard 2

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by caffolote, Jul 26, 2008.

Jul 26, 2008

Supercard vs. Acekard 2 by caffolote at 4:18 AM (7,058 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. caffolote
    OP

Member caffolote GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Okay, I really can't find any cons between these two. Acekard 2 I heard with the latest firmware now supports real time saving. Since both are relatively the same, can someone pinpoint the differences between these two and which one should I get?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The AK2 does not support real time saves. The main difference is that the SCDS1 has great features and a horrible interface (in my ever so humble opinion anyway), while the AK2 has a great interface, a decent feature set, and a few custom loaders that add various features (again, no RTS).

Having used all three, and having owned an AK2 and an SCDS1, I'd say get a CycloDS Evolution if you want features, or an AK2 if you want something cheap. Skip the SCDS1.

3. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    If you care about features, but don't mind about the slow interface, go with the SCDS1
    If you care for looks and fast interface, go with the Acekard 2
    If you have enough money to spend, and want both of these things, go with the CycloDS.

I'm currently using a SCDS1 myself. But I'm rather let down by it in a few ways.

Still, it's a great cart, but not the best choice.

4. caffolote
    OP

United States
    The CycloDS is $53, which is not worth it for that price. The Supercard and Acekard are less than

5. caffolote
    OP

United States
    Nah, I'd rather get the SuperCard then if it has the slow GUI. The price actually seems affordable, but why would anyone want to avoid it anyways? It looks great.

6. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Affordable=/=Good flash card
    You'll regret it if you base a flash card decision solely on money. We tried telling you that the Supercards GUI is horrible but you don't seem to care. Well you will eventually. It only looks great because you can't see lag and slowness in pictures.

7. crappi3pappy

Newcomer crappi3pappy Advanced Member

United States

Because this site in general, especially some of the past mods hate Supercard for some reason. Check out some of the @ on the ndstemp efnet channel, they are serious morons who even today reccomend noobies to get R4.... which is just plain nasty.

The SCDS1 is substationally better than the DOA2 (edit.. Acekard2).

8. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Whether you prefer the SCDS1 over the AK2 depends on whether you value its extra features (save state dumps, slow-motion) over the nicer and more responsive menu system of the AK2.

In my opinion, the average user doesn't use the extra features all that much, but you use the menu system every time you use your flash cart.

-Bri

9. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda

What a massive exageration, sure it lags when scrolling through roms when using large icons, but using small icons and a sensible 10-20 games per folder the lag is barely noticable. You can whip from rom to rom and change settings, turn on rts ect fairly swiftly if you bother to set it up nicely.

Way to much emphasis is put on guis amongst some on this site, sure it's nice but who the hell sits there playing with a gui for more than a few minutes ? My ez4 has a nice gui, but it doesn't stop it being a shit cart; It's simply mashed into the ground by my sc-cf slot-2 when it comes to playing ds roms.

10. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    IMO, it's not THAT slow. It is slower compared to other carts, but it's not unbearably slow....

Well, I suppose it differs on the person's opinion.

11. PanzerWF

Member PanzerWF GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Yeah, I agree with Pharaoh about how subjective this kind of matter is.

I own a SCDS-1 and I don't mind the loading time. Sure, it's longer than R4, DSTT, etc., but I believe that is because of the Supercard's patch mode. If you turn off that, it becomes pretty quick to load anything. But the patch mode includes soft reset, cheats, SD speed patching, etc. so it's pretty useful nonetheless.

12. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    totally agree here...my flashcard should be able to play backups with features like softreset...rarely cheats...RTS isn't that great thing on the DS like on the GBA...just close the DS and you "save" it...sure you can't repeat over and over from this point...but I never missed this in all the DS games I played...in-game cheat menu...hell I cheat that rarely so this doesn't matter...in-game text reader..maybe nice for games like Dementium (play the piano...yeah play it like the bloody hands did...nah...play DEAD [​IMG]) but that's the only game I would maybe miss it...

If you want a cheap card I better would suggest you a Acekard 2...cheap, fast, good firmwares (custom/official)

Btw: How well does the Moonshell GUI of the Supercard play DPGs? Isn't it based on Moonshell 1.41? (like the M3 Perfect "extend" feature, which is crappy...)

13. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    How can sleep mode be the same as RTS LOL. Does closing the lid on your particular ds reverse time or something ?

real translation... I wish my cart had RTS

14. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    I ordered Supercard Ds one because I needed the RTS to test my translations fast.Other than that I don't see a reason you should spent extra money buying a supercard.

15. caffolote
    OP

United States
    Hmmm....yeah. Maybe the save states don't justify the extra $10. One thing though, I heard that there is a faulty batch when you order the Acekard 2 from DX. Is this true and did they fix it? How did the faulty batch occur?

16. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    I mean you can take a break in a game...that's what I use RTS in GBA games for...

17. Bri

United States
    Yes, it's true. OzModChips (who runs an online store) estimates that several recent batches have had some quality problems and about 10% to 15% of the carts from those batches went bad within a few weeks. However, the latest batches seem to be OK (OzModChips has had no returns at all from the latest batches), so it appears that Acekard has fixed the problem. Dealextreme.com sells in such high quantity that it's unlikely that they'd have any from the "bad" batches left. If you do happen to get a bad one, Dealextreme has been very good about replacing them, including accepting the costs for return shipping.

-Bri

18. caffolote
    OP

United States
    Also, is the CycloDS worth it for the price over the Acekard 2 because of the features? Does AK2 support Wii connectivity?

19. Bri

United States
    You'll have to decide for yourself if the extra features of the CycloDS are worth the price. I don't believe the AK2 supports Wii connectivity.

ETA: The CycloDS website has been down for over a week now, with no word from the development team what's going on. If you're considering the CycloDS, I'd check the "CycloDS website downed?, Lack of bandwidth?" thread for news before I buy.

-Bri

20. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I would go for the Supercard DS One SDHC
    Great gamecompat, decent build quality, one of the best teams around and there's a large userbase.