Supercard patching program and vista

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by fremeer, Dec 3, 2006.

Dec 3, 2006
  1. fremeer
    OP

Newcomer fremeer Newbie

Australia
    I have the beta of vista and havent been playing my ds much but now on holidays so more time. unfortunately the patching program doesnt run in vista very well, it doesnt scale very well.

2. tehcamel

Member tehcamel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the only advice i would have is compatability options. haven't touched vista as of yet however if you right click on the exe and goto properties is there a compatibility tab. if vista is anything like xp there should be one where if will give you the option to run in a mode for a previous os. winxp has 95 98 nt4 and 2000 as options. you might be able to find a compatibility mode for windows xp if ms carried the feature over to vista.

3. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    I have another partition with XP on it for stuff like this, i reccomend that you make because more compatibilty issues will show up

4. tehcamel

Member tehcamel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i was going to suggest the same thing however i wasn't sure how computer savvy he is. Winxp Pro and Mac OSX ftw.

5. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    bah, xp pro, ubuntu, and vista ftw

6. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    I have the same setup here, FTW!
    I was just about to install the SC software in build 6000 (RTM) Vista so I'll update this post once tested.

**edit**

Just installed the SC Rumble client in vista and it seems to run fine.. [​IMG]

7. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Honestly, I don't understand why you use an OS that you have to crack before you can use it for more than 30 days? It's like shooting yourself in the foot. And I see that some of you have Ubuntu installed anyways... why not just use that and screw that proprietary, DRM'd crap?

8. shtonkalot

Australia
    Honestly, I have no idea how to take that comment!
    What is the "It's like shooting yourself in the foot" analogy supposed to mean? You have lost me completely on that one [​IMG]

What reasons I or others have for installing and using various operating systems would seem to be of no concern to anyone else but apparently it is [​IMG]

Personally, I work in IT and have to use various operating systems for work. Getting used to Vista before it is released to the masses is a must for me. Many of my clients will be asking me how to use various new Vista features and how to resolve various new Vista bugs shortly after release.
    Apart from that I also enjoy screwing around with "proprietary, DRM'd crap" (as you so eloquently put it) when that means a new OS, particularly one from MS. I'm not the biggest fan of Windows but find myself using it the most. When a new one is out it is entertaining to me to check it out and see how much (I think) they have improved and how much they have got wrong.

Ubuntu and other Linux distros are all well and good but like all OS's they have flaws. One relevant example is that they cannot run windows card patching software natively.

Anyway I'd rather not get into an OS fanboy debate. I use Vista and you think it's like I've shot my foot. Cool!

9. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

You ever shot yourself in the foot? Me neither. But from experience with other injuries I guess it hurts a lot and you can hardly walk afterwards. Same with using an unlicensed copy of Vista: first you go through great lengths to get your copy cracked, then you can be pretty sure that you won't get any updates ever after, as this crack will most likely be detected without any problems. Getting online with such a non-up-to-date copy of a Microsoft OS is about equal with having unprotected sex with a crackwhore, knowing the history of easily exploitable Windows bugs.

I don't say use Linux/BSD/whatever, but at least use something you can get security updates for without problems, once such a bug is found.

And btw, my flashcart software works with my OS [​IMG] . Not native, but it works.

10. shtonkalot

Australia
    BW, I have a copy of Vista that is not cracked. I can receive security updates for it. My foot feels fine.
    This copy will not be useful after 30 days but by then it will not be on this computer anymore. It may be again in the future or it may temporarily reside on another of my computers.
    I have an MSDN subscription and will be getting all the flavours of Vista once released. they will be just as likely to give me herpes as this copy though.

So if you don't have a problem with what I am doing as long as I can get security updates, then you don't have a problem. Maybe you leave out the nonsensical analogys and get back to your safety OS. Personal harm through reckless acts and using a new OS, I still don't get it.

Back on topic though,
    "my flashcart software works with my OS" [​IMG] well it does in Vista anyway. Native, and it works.

11. Phrostay

Newcomer Phrostay Advanced Member

Australia
    Hmm...maybe Vista will be like going from OS9 to OSX [​IMG]