SuperCard Lite menu: "Saver"?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by accolon, Aug 3, 2006.

Aug 3, 2006

SuperCard Lite menu: "Saver"? by accolon at 1:38 PM (1,565 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. accolon
    OP

Member accolon GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I got a SuperCard Lite for my DS Lite a couple of days ago. Being a (former) M3 user, it's quite a change, and I couldn't find any documentation for the SuperCard menu, so I'm a little bit lost here. I took a look at the FAQ and SC reviews here on GBAtemp, but they didn't help me that much. Perhaps somebody can guide me in the right direction?

There's a menu item called "Saver" which shows all savegames I have on the MicroSD. After selecting one of them, the SC asks "Do you save to SD?". What does this mean? I suppose it's some kind of Engrish, but I couldn't find out what it does. If I select "No", nothing seems to happen, if I select "Yes", I can select between "1. Game Saver", "2. Game Saver" and so on. After choosing one, the SC does something (looks like loading or saving), but again, I couldn't find out what it is. However, after selecting "1. Game Saver" on my Castlevania savegame, it seems to be gone. I can only start a new game in Castlevania. The .SAV file still contains some kind of data, though, it's not like a fresh file.

So, what happened? What does the "Saver" menu do, and where's my Castlevania savegame? Is there some kind of (good) documentation for the SC, like the M3 Wiki for M3 cards?

2. godbuns

Newcomer godbuns Advanced Member

Canada
    I would like to add a question to this post. If you remove a game from your SD card , does it also remove the game from the saver menu or is there a way to remove save games from the saver menu. To the poster above i would guess thats its asking you how u save your games to your sd card or the supercard lite (think it has its on memory) not sure though .

3. Triforce

Member Triforce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I only use the saver menu for GBA games, you dont even need to touch the saver tab if you're only playing DS roms.
    For example on some GBA games once you save game and turn the DS off, you may come back to the game and find you lost your save.

These are the games where you use the Saver menu. Once you saved in the GBA game, turn the DS off then quickly turn it back on again.
    Go to Saver tab and pick your GBA save, press A then save to SD. Now you can safely turn the DS off keeping the save.

4. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    What saver does is copy the SRAM in the Supercard onto a file you selected. That's for saving homebrew NDS roms which require an original flashcart to run, and gba games.

5. mastertop101

Member mastertop101 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I ABSOLUTELY HATE this saver menu.. my saves got erased a lot of times by other people trying to running the game.. they were going in saver menu and erasing my saves [​IMG](

6. accolon
    OP

Member accolon GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Okay, so I overwrote my Castlevania savegame with the content of the SRAM, that's why it's gone. Thanks!

Since the SC Lite is so small, is there a battery inside? If not, how does it keep a savegame inside the SRAM and how long does it stay there when I turn the DS off?

7. TheRocK

Member TheRocK GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    it stays there as long as the batterie has enough power.

8. Edirol

Newcomer Edirol Newbie

I got screwed with this saver menu too. I had a New Super Mario Bros. save...completed perfect up to the 7th world...

The odd thing is that the timestamp of the .sav file is still old and not the same date as when the SRAM was copied to the savefile.

I wish they could do something about it to make it more obvious what it does.

- Edirol

9. FifthE1ement

Member FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The SuperCard Lite has no battery inside so it stays in the SRAM as long as you have the DS on or for about a few seconds after you turn it off. You can turn off the DS and then turn it back on again and the SRAM data should still be in memory. The only SuperCard to have a battery was the miniSD version.

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

10. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Edirol: Why update the timestamp? GBA doesnt have a clock to accurately do so, and GBA is usually where you'd be using that menu anyway. Besides, that also requires writing updated data to the FAT (file allocation table), and the way the patcher works by making .sav files on the card for you with the PC, it is doing everything it possibly can to avoid corruption on the MM card (by only writing data to the file data area wrather than the cards allocation/naming tables).

11. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    I lost my FF3 JAP save after 6 hrs or so play time doing exactly what accolon did. There does need to be more documentation on the SC features imo, or at least a definiative guide.

12. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    I lost my FF3 JAP save after 6 hrs or so play time doing exactly what accolon did. There does need to be more documentation on the SC features imo, or at least a definiative guide.

13. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Short answer - if you don't know how to use the Saver menu, don't touch it.

That's why I don't touch it. [​IMG]

14. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    Good words of wisdom:
    I’ve been doing that & have had no problems. [​IMG]

15. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    loving it lol! [​IMG]

this post made my day because it's so true...

i've broken a lot of things because i like to "touch"...