Hacking Supercard Dstwo Plus Flashcard on my New 3ds XL

Which flashcard do you think is better for playing NDS and N3DS games?

• Supercard Dstwo Plus

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • R4 R4i SDHC 3DS RTS (with cfw installed)

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically I guess you guys recommend the DSTwo over the r4i. But going back to my previous question; how exactly can I play 3DS games on it, with the knowledge that it won't brick my system? I know SimplyFedorable said at the beginning that I should be fine on my firmware version, and sorry I'm so paranoid :P, but I just want to be 100% sure my DS won't get bricked before I buy a $60 card; especially because I just got the DS today, and I've been wanting it for forever...

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically I guess you guys recommend the DSTwo over the r4i. But going back to my previous question; how exactly can I play 3DS games on it, with the knowledge that it won't brick my system? I know SimplyFedorable said at the beginning that I should be fine on my firmware version, and sorry I'm so paranoid :P, but I just want to be 100% sure my DS won't get bricked before I buy a $60 card; especially because I just got the DS today, and I've been wanting it for forever...
Please read this.
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/FAQ

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No The flash cart is not a emulator, and it will not work for 3d games. The flash cart is a imitation cart used to story multiple rom files (The same exact thing as if you had a bunch of carts but all in one) and uses the system to play the game normally as intended, and no ds flash cart will be able to play 3ds games, with CFW you can play 3ds games by installing cia files that contains the games.

You must not have seen my edit :P. Thanks anyway :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for the link, but that's if I get the r4i card, then download cfw, right? (Feel free to correct me as I'm probably wrong) But what if I get the scds2?

Last edited by iFloruff391_Mew,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must not have seen my edit :P. Thanks anyway :)

Thanks for the link, but that's if I get the r4i card, then download cfw, right? (Feel free to correct me as I'm probably wrong) But what if I get the scds2?
The CFW Has nothing to do with the DSTwo or R4i Card.
And you have to follow the instructions to install the a9lh to get the CFW.
It saves a long time, maybe hours but is not as simple as downloading it, is a process.

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CFW Has nothing to do with the DSTwo or R4i Card.
And you have to follow the instructions to install the a9lh to get the CFW.
It saves a long time, maybe hours but is not as simple as downloading it, is a process.

Sorry I'm a little confused... I thought you said I needed a DS flashcart to download cfw. So are you saying that I can download it on the DS? Sorry, I'm just kind of lost here lol

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I'm a little confused... I thought you said I needed a DS flashcart to download cfw. So are you saying that I can download it on the DS? Sorry, I'm just kind of lost here lol

Did you not read the faq in the link?:mellow:
This guide uses arm9loaderhax, the newest and best method of Custom Firmware that gives us nearly full control of the system only milliseconds into boot, which is similar to the effect of BootMii for the Wii. The benefits of this are numerous, and as such it is recommended to use this guide over any other that relies on outdated software (such as menuhax or rxTools). (We use rxTools in the 9.2.0 update guide because nothing else supports very old software versions.)

This guide will take you through the steps of getting an entrypoint into the HomeBrew Launcher, downgrading to 9.2.0 to re-enable ARM9-kernel exploits that were blocked, downgrading to version 2.1.0 to get the console-unique OTP, then installing arm9loaderhax + Luma3DS for permanent homebrew on SysNAND and true custom firmware.

If everything goes according to plan, you will lose no data and end up with everything that you started with (games, NNID, saves, etc will be preserved).

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you not read the faq in the link?:mellow:
This guide uses arm9loaderhax, the newest and best method of Custom Firmware that gives us nearly full control of the system only milliseconds into boot, which is similar to the effect of BootMii for the Wii. The benefits of this are numerous, and as such it is recommended to use this guide over any other that relies on outdated software (such as menuhax or rxTools). (We use rxTools in the 9.2.0 update guide because nothing else supports very old software versions.)

This guide will take you through the steps of getting an entrypoint into the HomeBrew Launcher, downgrading to 9.2.0 to re-enable ARM9-kernel exploits that were blocked, downgrading to version 2.1.0 to get the console-unique OTP, then installing arm9loaderhax + Luma3DS for permanent homebrew on SysNAND and true custom firmware.

If everything goes according to plan, you will lose no data and end up with everything that you started with (games, NNID, saves, etc will be preserved).

I did, but I must be missing something... Sorry...

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well basically, scds2 plays games from four consoles (with just some downloading of software) and you won't be bricked?

And r4i can also play 3DS games with cfw and a lot more time.

So basically I'm leaning towards DSTwo :)
Please do not use super card dstwo to play 3ds games. :mellow:
As i said before you use CFW to play 3ds games and use the flashcart to play NDS Games.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two things:
Why do you say not to play 3DS games using the scds2, and so is cfw not on the flashcard? Is it downloaded onto the DS?
Did you not read the many links i shared with you? Custom firmware is installed onto the system using the process the guide provides you with and enables you to install 3ds games on the system to play without the use of a flashcart.

The only purpose the flashcart serves is to play Nintendo DS GAMES.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you not read the many links i shared with you? Custom firmware is installed onto the system using the process the guide provides you with and enables you to install 3ds games on the system to play without the use of a flashcart.

The only purpose the flashcart serves is to play Nintendo DS GAMES.

I read every single one of the links you sent me, and thanks a lot for all of them. I just wanted to make sure I knew the difference. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you say not to play 3DS games using the scds2, and so is cfw not on the flashcard? Is it downloaded onto the DS?
1. scds2 by default uses gateway software (using gateway software without a gateway card is what causes bricks) and for you to use it safely you need to change the software here is a link for that . . . (sorry forgot the link) http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-12841-1-1.html
2. gateway and scds2 both require cfw to be installed on the system . . . and yes cfw is for the 3ds system . . . gateway and scds2 have there own cfw (with more patches) allowing .3ds roms to be played from a flashcard

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: iFloruff391_Mew

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, good :toot:

I make sure to read everything everyone sends me, cause otherwise it's literally a waste of their time :)

1. scds2 by default uses gateway software (using gateway software without a gateway card is what causes bricks) and for you to use it safely you need to change the software here is a link for that . . . (sorry forgot the link) http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-12841-1-1.html
2. gateway and scds2 both require cfw to be installed on the system . . . and yes cfw is for the 3ds system . . . gateway and scds2 have there own cfw (with more patches) allowing .3ds roms to be played from a flashcard

So you would recommend the DSTwo over the r4i?

Also, if I download the separate software to play 3DS games so it won't brick my DS, there's no limit, correct? (Sorry, I'm just a clarification freak :P)

Reactions: wormdood

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Honestly I would skip the dstwo+ the team aren't what they used to be last I heard after copying gw code they released a pretty much non functional botch job hack of a free CFW, and the gba support provided by supercard is pretty much beaten by emulators an vc injects, so unless you plan to play snes/gba games on a old ds/DSi a cheap r4 and CFW will work fine, once you have CFW set up you can even use the original r4 cards from the original DS days if you have one in the back of a draw

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I would skip the dstwo+ the team aren't what they used to be last I heard after copying gw code they released a pretty much non functional botch job hack of a free CFW, and the gba support provided by supercard is pretty much beaten by emulators an vc injects, so unless you plan to play snes/gba games on a old ds/DSi a cheap r4 and CFW will work fine, once you have CFW set up you can even use the original r4 cards from the original DS days if you have one in the back of a draw

I thought old cards won't fit into the new 3DS slots. Anyways, our previous card was in our old DSiXL, and my sister seems to have lost that... And before that, unfortunately the system updated, leaving the card outdated, and for some reason, when I finally managed to get it to open on a friend's old DS, it said they hadn't released an update yet for the card I had...

But anyways, do you have any personal experience with either of the cards?

EDIT: While cleaning out her backpack, it seems my sister found the DS... Luckily it was in its case (now ruined), but as I thought, when I tried the r4 card in my new 3ds, it wouldn't fit.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does anyone know any other safe to use 3ds emulator like Gateway that will work on a Dstwo Plus?
Their ReiNAND-based CFW, "freegame", should work and won't brick your 3DS, it's still in early stages though.
If you want to get a DSTWO+ I would recommend using Luma3DS for 3DS games at least until SC get their stuff working well. The DSTWO(+) is no doubt the best for NDS games, though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: iFloruff391_Mew

iFloruff391_Mew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway and supercard dstwo are not 3ds emulators :mellow:

I meant plugins. Like to play 3ds games on the Dstwo Plus, you need to download and install the Gateway plugin emulation.

Their ReiNAND-based CFW, "freegame", should work and won't brick your 3DS, it's still in early stages though.
If you want to get a DSTWO+ I would recommend using Luma3DS for 3DS games at least until SC get their stuff working well. The DSTWO(+) is no doubt the best for NDS games, though.

Is Luma3DS safe to use? And is it difficult to install? Because I'm leaning towards the Dstwo, but I just wanted to make sure :) [Also, will it work on version 11.0.0-33? (Or whatever the newest version is :P)]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16