SuperCard DSTWO Official Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Jun 10, 2010.

Jun 10, 2010
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG] SuperCard DSTWO Official Review
    NEW GBATemp Review!
    [​IMG]

GBATemp is proud to announce the publication of the official SuperCard DSTWO review! This review would not have been possible without the generous help of a few individuals (all given proper thanks at the end). Take some of your free time to read through the review. Please post any comments or questions in the discussion thread linked below.

The missing 3 features (SNES EMU, E-book reader, drag/drop video support) will be reviewed after their releases and the SCDS2 review will be amended to include any additional information.

For any typos or misspelled words, I kindly ask that you PM me. Please do not clutter this thread with those comments.

[​IMG] SCDS2 Review
    [​IMG] Discuss

2. LINK289

Newcomer LINK289 Advanced Member

Canada
    Holy crap that review is long... Luckily I have some time on my hands. [​IMG] "Starts reading"

3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Jesus fucking christ that's a huge review.

4. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    if i knew thats what it took to bring you back i would have posted something 2 years ago. your last topic was in 2008, where the hell have you been urza? you should stop by #acekard and hang out agian.

-another world

5. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Nice guide! [​IMG] Lots of Pros and Cons that I've ever seen on a flash cart.

Umm...isn't the color of the wrist strap randomized?

6. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    yes it is, but i got blue! =)

i should have mentioned that the wrist strap smells like dead things as well.

-another world

7. LINK289

Newcomer LINK289 Advanced Member

Canada
    Just finished reading, great review! Well written (as usual) I just hope nobody will be turned off purchasing the card because of the way you talk about the build quality (I can understand why you have to mention it in a review though).

8. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    i said in there that if they treat it like an adult it won't cause issues. but when i popped it out of the package i saw the corner come apart and was like, what the hell? i've never had a cart that you could pull apart like that. it’s more of a cautionary statement for users who might purchase it for their children.

-another world

9. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Well, when I was tearing up the DHL Bags and Box and opened the SCDS2 box, the flash cart already came out of its place and dropped onto the floor. Luckily, there was no damage to the flash cart (the flash cart falling apart). I've had no problems with its build quality. I'm just annoyed that I have to put the Micro SD all the way down into the flash cart as if I'm going to break it.

10. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    Didn't gPSP require gba_bios.bin? How did they work around that?

11. raing3

Member raing3 CNET_Richard

Australia
    Great review. I only had a brief skim because it was so in-depth but I'm sure I'll read it soon. [​IMG]

12. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    Thanks for the incredibly in depth review. I was hoping to get out a preview/minireview in a Tempcast before this dropped, but due to circumstances not of my own control, I was unable to do that. A future episode of the Tempcast will still include a review of what is offered thus far, and episodes following that will be updated with further impressions as new features are finally released, and as improvements are made as well.

13. cowboycoder77

Newcomer cowboycoder77 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Excellent review. Many thanks for the time and effort that went into it.

I had already given into temptation and ordered a DSTWO before reading it. As much out of curiosity as anything. I'm pretty confident that the promised functions will come, it's just a question of how robust they are. The build quality sounds disappointing though as that is something that cannot be resolved by software updates. If the card is too flimsy or a major pain to insert/remove then I'll probably not end up using it as my main card. Hopefully will still be fun to mess around with and the plugins are a nice touch.

Thanks again for a quality review.

14. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I don't know if it's just me but I find the built quality to be pretty decent compared to the acekard and ddst anyway.I agree with everything else you said though! good review.

15. tajio

Member tajio GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Wow Fabulous review AnotherWorld! There sure are lot's of pros and cons for this one, eh. Can't wait for the DivX playback!

16. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    TL;DR

I mostly just read the cons and pros hehe [​IMG]

17. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    Read the stuff I needed to yesterday. I'm reading the rest today.

Awesome review Another World!

18. viz

Member viz neckbeard

United States
    found a typo!

19. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    Incredible work-in-progress review and fair balanced. Thanks guys [​IMG] !

20. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    you can pull almost the entire card apart into halves just using a fingernail. the shell is the same as the acetel ak2i, but instead of clips they went with 1 miniature screw which does nothing. i'm sorry but the build quality is far from decent. i would consider a decent card to be the ak2.1 with the clips, not the best design but decent enough to support the shell. the card will last if you simply take it in and out of your nds, but i could not ignore the fact that it had no clips or glue, and that the screw was improperly placed.

this same type of 1 screw no clip or glue design was used on the original r4. cards have come a long way since then and i would have expected to see a better design for $40. especially considering the fact that you can get a flash kit that plays roms and homebrew for as little as $6 these days.

-another world