Hacking SuperCard DStwo+ GW Emulator 1.03 Available

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Considering Gateway is taking their time with an update for 10.3 (they're usually very quick), I can only assume they're trying to block the DSTWO+.

So to say if it's worth it or not? Probably not if Gateway succeeds.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
i can't believe they didn't send out review units especially to you guys
seems odd
Actually we were, but there was a bit a confusion at the last minute as to who was going to do it, (it was originally going to be me, but since I recently reviewed both the amiiqo and maxlander i wanted to give someone else a shot). By the time we figured it out, they ran out. But I believe they'll ship one of us a copy this weekend.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If youre planning on getting a flashcard for somebody that isnt into the scene (or hacking their toys) I recommend you get him Sky3ds if its just for playing backups. I dont have personal experience, but word on the streets is you just plug in and play back ups. You pay for ease of use bro.
Sky3ds is already obsolete. Newer games with the new anti-piracy flag will not work on them.

does the 1.03 plugin works on emunand 10.3??
It will work on anything GW works on (until GW makes an update that blocks it). Nothing more or less. There is NOTHING that will do above 9.5 emunand on an N3ds.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He just said that there were a couple of games that were "glitchy" on his old SCDS2, but they run well on the SCDS2+. I personally do not have any first hand experience with the card yet. I am hoping the one I have coming from the contest arrives Soon™.

As far as if SCDS2+ will be viable in the future, I have faith in the SCDS2 team. They have the best DS cart and have remained that way because of their diligence. Even if Gateway blocks them with a cart update, the SCDS2 was updateable, so I assume the SCDS2+ is as well. I would only be scared of Gateway not implementing AP correctly and wind up with another round of Gateway related bricks. I pray they aren't stupid enough to repeat that fiasco. Even if they are, I still have my RasPi and a NAND mod...

Last edited by hundshamer,

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be a stupid question but does the ds2+ run in a old ds or is it just a 3ds cart? A bit confused on how it runs on a 3ds in general especially if it runs on old the ds from what i heard its just a gatway clone that runs ds games or is there more to it?

• Angry
Reactions: ChibiMofo

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy the real thing guys or you'll end up with a bricked console. $20 more is worth it when it comes to safety and regular updates. CFW is not a bad idea either.
The SuperCard team is way more reliable than the GW team IMO. This is their 3rd generation of flash card. They have a card for the GBA, the DS and now the 3DS. The SCDS2 has regular updates and come out in a timely fashion once announced. The GW's soon™ has all but become a joke. I would call that far from regular. I doubt the Gateway team will cause intentional brick again, considering the backlash they had last time. If they did it again, I personally would consider it to be intentional and malicious.
Might be a stupid question but does the ds2+ run in a old ds or is it just a 3ds cart? A bit confused on how it runs on a 3ds in general especially if it runs on old the ds from what i heard its just a gatway clone that runs ds games or is there more to it?
It has the same icon (Alex Rider IIRC) and I assume it will work on a DS. It also has a better onboard CPU and more ram than the original, making it a better choice.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SuperCard team is way more reliable than the GW team IMO. This is their 3rd generation of flash card. They have a card for the GBA, the DS and now the 3DS. The SCDS2 has regular updates and come out in a timely fashion once announced. The GW's soon™ has all but become a joke. I would call that far from regular. I doubt the Gateway team will cause intentional brick again, considering the backlash they had last time. If they did it again, I personally would consider it to be intentional and malicious.

It has the same icon (Alex Rider IIRC) and I assume it will work on a DS. It also has a better onboard CPU and more ram than the original, making it a better choice.
Ahh thanks for clarifying that for me. This would most likely be great for me still have a 3ds on 7.2 and have a good replacement for my r4i gold that i use for my ds games.

• Angry
Reactions: ChibiMofo

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Paying $40 for a clone that relies on other's work is just bad business. I mean sure, it plays DS/GBA/SNES games but guess what, you can get all that and more with a $10 R4 clone and a CFW. They may not brick consoles, but they sure as hell won't stand for copy-cat's! Either buy a GW or use a CFW - that would be my advice.

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is supposed to work on earlier consoles but I havent tried yet. I have a couple ds lite and dsi here and I will test it this aft if ur interested.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paying $40 for a clone that relies on other's work is just bad business. I mean sure, it plays DS/GBA/SNES games but guess what, you can get all that and more with a $10 R4 clone and a CFW. They may not brick consoles, but they sure as hell won't stand for copy-cat's! Either buy a GW or use a CFW - that would be my advice.
Oh the hypocrisy. Paying $70 to rip off another's hard work is worse. You're paying more to do the same. Gateway relies on other's work as well. Do you think they are the one programming the ROMs? Not to mention you tell me to buy an R4 clone (which is "a clone that relies on other's work")... C'mon man, show some consistency. BTW the SCDS2 does more than an R4 clone, as in much better emulation.

Bear in mind I have a Gateway and love their work, but I cannot fault another company for taking one formula and improving on it. It's a bit more than just a Gateway clone. Tecnically, it's not a clone at all. It's a SuperCard DSTwo plus Gateway emulation.

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree that it's best to use cfw or (if you don't like things for free) buy a Gateway. But I wouldn't defend any flashcart company. they're all doing business which leads to piracy. So let them compete and let us use cfw. lol

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree that it's best to use cfw or (if you don't like things for free) buy a Gateway. But I wouldn't defend any flashcart company. they're all doing business which leads to piracy. So let them compete and let us use cfw. lol
I wouldn't say he's defending the card. Just correcting information that's false. It's not a clone at all. It's hardware that is powerful enough to emulate another piece of hardware. If you play GBA on your 3ds does that make it a clone of a Game Boy Advance? There's nothing to defend really. These flashcart guys are in a 3 way arms race. Against each other and against Nintendo etc., Nintendo and Sony are in a console war with each other. Let the corporations destroy each other and in the meantime we can enjoy the fruits of their evil. Afterwards we can rebuild civilization afterward and not repeat the same mistakes lol

Edit- for clarity

Last edited by DayVeeBoi,

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, but without GW's research, there would be no CFW as we know it. However, it's hard to argue free. The thing with GW, SCDS2+, and Sky3DS is you're paying for ease of use. It is so much easier to drag and drop a .3DS to an SD card and not worry about cryptofix or cia conversion.

One thing my friend did notice is he did not have to reinstall MSET after launching the SCDS2+ in DS mode. When I use my R4 I have to reinstall MSET to use the GW card.

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree, but without GW's research, there would be no CFW as we know it. However, it's hard to argue free. The thing with GW, SCDS2+, and Sky3DS is you're paying for ease of use. It is so much easier to drag and drop a .3DS to an SD card and not worry about cryptofix or cia conversion. One think my friend did notice is he did not have to reinstall MSET after launching the SCDS2+ in DS mode. When I use my R4 I have to reinstall MSET to use the GW card.

You're right in some way. But, as you already know, cfw got leaked at first. We don't really owe Gateway anything. Heck, even Smea had a kernel exploit way before it was released. I wouldn't be surprised to know he has a 9.3+ one. But that's another story

DayVeeBoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sky3ds is already obsolete. Newer games with the new anti-piracy flag will not work on them.[/QUOTE said:
Sky3ds is obsolete because it doesnt work on a handful of newer games? They cant update the firmware or whatever code that card runs on? And the new SuperCard does still work on those anti-piracy games? Do you have any information on that? As far as I know, all of the big companies games and consoles have anti-piracy features, but they keep finding ways around it.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi,

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right in some way. But, as you already know, cfw got leaked at first. We don't really owe Gateway anything. Heck, even Smea had a kernel exploit way before it was released. I wouldn't be surprised to know he has a 9.3+ one. But that's another story
It's a bit of a cycle. Smea used GW and GW used Smea. I personally do not care where the developments came from, just that they are available. More options cause competition and more innovation.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh the hypocrisy. Paying $70 to rip off another's hard work is worse. You're paying more to do the same. Gateway relies on other's work as well. Do you think they are the one programming the ROMs? Not to mention you tell me to buy an R4 clone (which is "a clone that relies on other's work")... C'mon man, show some consistency. BTW the SCDS2 does more than an R4 clone, as in much better emulation.

Bear in mind I have a Gateway and love their work, but I cannot fault another company for taking one formula and improving on it. It's a bit more than just a Gateway clone. Tecnically, it's not a clone at all. It's a SuperCard DSTwo plus Gateway emulation.

Sure it does, but I wasn't referring to you in general. I'm just saying that buying a DSTWO Plus is a very dumb decision since you can have all the features it has and more with a CFW and a $10 clone. There's a shit storm coming from GW and all the clones (DSTWO Plus) are gonna get burned really bad.

I'm not dissing other's work or taking sides but rather stating the obvious. Either buy the real deal or go the CFW way - $15 less is not worth a $120 console not to mention all the content that is stored on it.

Last edited by guitarheroknight,

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure it does, but I wasn't referring to you in general. I'm just saying that buying a DSTWO Plus is a very dumb decision since you can have all the features it has and more with a CFW and a $10 clone. There's a shit storm coming from GW and all the clones (DSTWO Plus) are gonna get burned really bad.

I'm not dissing other's work but rather stating the obvious. Either buy the real deal or go the CFW way - $15 less is not worth a $120 console not to mention all the content that is stored on it.
You need a bit better than a $10 R4 clone to match a SCDS2, let alone the SCDS2+ (which has a more powerful CPU and more RAM than the standard SCDS2). Most R4 clones do not have a built in CPU that makes emulation run much better. You'll have a hard time running Starfox on any DS cart other than the SCDS2+. Even the standard SCDS2 cannot run Starfox very well.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You need a bit better than a $10 R4 clone to match a SCDS2, let alone the SCDS2+ (which has a more powerful CPU and more RAM than the standard SCDS2). Most R4 clones do not have a built in CPU that makes emulation run much better. You'll have a hard time running Starfox on any DS cart other than the SCDS2+. Even the standard SCDS2 cannot run Starfox very well.
I get your point, the DSTWO Plus is without a doubt the best DS flashcard. But paying $40 more than you would on a regular flashcard just to play Starfox is rather weird... Regarding DSTWO Plus's emulation, how do we even know it emulates the GW card? For all we know they could have taken a GW card and slapped their tech on it and decided to call it "emulation" with a fancy "plugin" which in fact is the DS profile.

Last edited by guitarheroknight,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ZQhiwti-pK0?si=LTqU_S8Xm2fYnlQg