Hacking Supercard DSTWO: GBA Emulator Details

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
NDSGBA version 1.21 supports a game_config.txt file to be put in the NDSGBA folder which fixes quite some games, like pokemon and such, because it corrects the save size type to the right one or something like that and fixes other useful things.
Anyways, it boosts the game compatibility considerably.

Here's his thread: http://gbatemp.net/threads/iplayer-supercard-gbaemu-game_config-txt-improvement-project.248619/

Here's the latest game_config.txt: http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/f...iplayer-gba-emu-gameconfigtxt-v13-f12630.html
Many thanks for your answer.
I check it.

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I have tried every solution I could find online but still cannot solve my problem. I'm hoping someone here will have an answer because this problem is not exclusive to the DS's GBA emulator.

I'm trying to play Hamtaro for GBA on my DS, but the game freezes after you click "start" after naming your characters. I actually had this problem on my PSP's emulator as well.

So I go here hoping to find some kind of answer as to why this problem is on two different emulators for two different consoles, and 'lo and behold this emulator is a port of the PSP emulator. FML.

All of my other GBA ROMs work just fine, but this is one of my favorite GBA games and the ROM works fine on my VBA emulator, I played it through twice. I tried the game_config folder already, and the only other thing I found online where someone else was having my problem was this:
http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-9236-1-1.html
And apparently nobody helped that guy either.

I looked up the same problem for my PSP's emulator last week, and all I found was a thread from 4 years ago where the problem persisted. Why is this even a problem after 4 years? I thought compatibility was priority 1 for emulation. (At least in all the years I've used it.)

Excuse my ranting but I am pretty annoyed that everything on my flashcart works just fine except this one game. And this is one of my 4 favorite GBA games, so you can probably imagine how irritating it is not to be able to play it on a handheld.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a) So I go here hoping to find some kind of answer as to why this problem is on two different emulators for two different consoles, and 'lo and behold this emulator is a port of the PSP emulator. FML.

b) All of my other GBA ROMs work just fine, but this is one of my favorite GBA games and the ROM works fine on my VBA emulator, I played it through twice. I tried the game_config folder already, and the only other thing I found online where someone else was having my problem was this:
http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-9236-1-1.html
And apparently nobody helped that guy either.

c) I looked up the same problem for my PSP's emulator last week, and all I found was a thread from 4 years ago where the problem persisted. Why is this even a problem after 4 years? I thought compatibility was priority 1 for emulation. (At least in all the years I've used it.)
Respectively:

a) That is correct. NDSGBA is a port of gpSP Kai 3.3 to the DSTwo.

b) About game_config.txt: Are you using NDSGBA 1.21 instead of 1.30? 1.30 dropped support for that file, but 1.21 still has it.

c) This is still a problem after four years because the coder of gpSP, Exophase, gave up on it in 2007 or 2008.

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Respectively:

a) That is correct. NDSGBA is a port of gpSP Kai 3.3 to the DSTwo.

b) About game_config.txt: Are you using NDSGBA 1.21 instead of 1.30? 1.30 dropped support for that file, but 1.21 still has it.

c) This is still a problem after four years because the coder of gpSP, Exophase, gave up on it in 2007 or 2008.

Yes, I am using version 1.21, that was the first thing I tried when I found out the game didn't work right. I figured it would avoid compatibility problems in the future if nothing else, but unfortunately, I still have this problem.

Is there any kind of fix? Or at least another emulator I can use? I know this is the "official" one for this cart but is there an obscure option?

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, I am using version 1.21, that was the first thing I tried when I found out the game didn't work right. I figured it would avoid compatibility problems in the future if nothing else, but unfortunately, I still have this problem.

Is there any kind of fix? Or at least another emulator I can use? I know this is the "official" one for this cart but is there an obscure option?
The obscure option is in beta right now. See the TempGBA thread. It may or may not have fixed your problem... probably not, though.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, well thanks anyway. I really hope this gets resolved soon though, I mean it's been impossible to play for years and nobody has even made a fix yet?
As Nebuleon pointed out, the guy wasn't working on it for years, the source just became available recently, and is still being worked on.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
i think wee need visual boy advance on DSTWO. It is THE best emulator for PC no bugs, nothing! if it coud be made for dstwo it would be great :D

logo.gif

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think wee need visual boy advance on DSTWO. It is THE best emulator for PC no bugs, nothing! if it coud be made for dstwo it would be great :D

logo.gif
I completely agree, it isn't great for GBC emulation but it's the best GBA emulator out there. Boycott Advance is another option but mostly because there are a couple of games that run better on it than VBA. The only one that comes to mind is a hack though.

Oh well, how disappointing. One of the reasons I wanted a flashcart was to have a portable emulator, but the PSP is looking more and more like the better option despite it being shoddy at best. :/ (You try playing any SNES game on a PSP, it still runs better than SNES games on the DS.)

Reactions: Metoroid0

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There's absolutely nothing about VBA in particular that would make it perform better on the DSTWO than the gPSP port being worked on right now.

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's absolutely nothing about VBA in particular that would make it perform better on the DSTWO than the gPSP port being worked on right now.

Does that mean someone might fix the compatibility issues with the game I mentioned / the ones that act weird on the wiki in the foreseeable future? :(

nintendough

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to ask this here since I'm not sure if it's the best place to ask, but I have a DS Lite (had a M3 DS Real for it, but its been years and didn't realize they stopped supporting it) alongside my DSi XL for which I already had a SuperCard DS Two. I was wondering if there was anyway combine my SCDSTwo + GBA Expansion Slot from my M3 DS Real as a Slot 2 passthrough? Or do I need to rummage around the internet and find the latest version of M3 DS Real firmware?

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sorry to ask this here since I'm not sure if it's the best place to ask, but I have a DS Lite (had a M3 DS Real for it, but its been years and didn't realize they stopped supporting it) alongside my DSi XL for which I already had a SuperCard DS Two. I was wondering if there was anyway combine my SCDSTwo + GBA Expansion Slot from my M3 DS Real as a Slot 2 passthrough? Or do I need to rummage around the internet and find the latest version of M3 DS Real firmware?
Look into the Slot-2 GBA plugin: http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/plugin/slot2_gba.htm It may be able to boot GBA games from your M3.

nintendough

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look into the Slot-2 GBA plugin: http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/plugin/slot2_gba.htm It may be able to boot GBA games from your M3.
I actually just tried this and unfortunately all it does is load the Slot 2 device, but it doesn't do anything since the GBA Expansion Pack doesn't have anything loaded on it. Basically it just loads what would be there (which would be fine if an original GBA cart was still there....but all my GBA games have been stolen although the save files are on my computer when I was planning on switching everything over the M3 Lite Perfect....which I never got to).

Any way to load the GBA game on there and then switch to it? Or do I need a different SLOT-2 Device?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs