Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

SuperCard DS (One) Review

Official GBAtemp Review

SCDS1.jpg

GBAtemp's official review of the long awaited Supercard DS (One) is finally live!

The Supercard DS (One) is a new slot-1 flashcard from the SuperCard Team. It supports drag & drop clean ROMs along with unique features & a pretty good compatibility . Check out the review to see for yourselves how good it is.

icon11.gif
SuperCard DS (One) Review

ancient_imhotep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi Zatelli,

This is a superb review and pretty much confirms everything that I said about the SCDS1 when it first came out and I did a lot of intial testing and posting on GBAtemp.net about it - This Slot-1 solution is among the best out there, especially with the compatibilty of games.

However you have me slightly worried about the mention of a Supercard DS1 V2.0....

Is this a new card hardware wise, or will there just be a new version of the micro firmware and the OS?

Hope you can answer this question.

P.S. - The tip about being able to hide folders or files using the Hidden property in XP was great, now I do not have to worry about accidently selecting the scshell folder.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Great review. With all the cons though I didn't think it would get a 8.5. I've always been pro supercard but when hearing the Supercard SD was dependant on how good the microsd was and you were messing around with save types I jumped on the R4 bandwagon. I haven't regretted it either.

[Jez]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with the list of cons 8.5 seems a little high but it looks like a nice card from the supercard team

Mystic-Homer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I had a SuperCard DS(ONE) fairly soon after it was released... But I quickly found out that it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

I use a Sandisk Ultra II 1 GB, but the SC DS was treating it as just another shitty microSD, and that really disappointed me, considering the extra money that I spent to get this specific card.

This seemed to be rushed out of production, just to be the first inexpensive Slot-1 card.

I switched over to the M3 Simply a few weeks back, and I don't regret it one bit - I believe that the SC DS is still not nearly as polished as the M3 or the R4.

The R4/M3 aren't nearly so microSD-dependent, and that's a crucial advantage that they have over the SC DS.

TheValeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The only thing I dont like about this and the EZ-V is the battery in the cart and saving on next reboot. Having had GBC carts die due to battery failure, eg, you cant save your games, and a Super Pro Fighter pcb ruined through batthery leakage I much prefer a cart that saves directly to SD etc and doesn't have a timebomb soldered to it.
Hmmm .... I wonder if version 2 of the card is the same? Should be interesting ......

monkeymachine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey good review, thanks.

I guess it confirms and details most of the first impressions floating around.

I think that most people here will be disappointed that the SC team hasn't brought out something with more of a wow factor.

kenfrenzy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let me address the review's cons:

- The card's performance is highly microSD dependant.
I have a taiwan kingston that works fine in everything except PoR. Animal Crossing is a little laggy. From what I've been reading, all slot 1s have problems with PoR unless you have a better microsd. That being said, yes it is a bit more picky in general. Deal breaker? Not really.

- No freebies in the box (MicroSD card reader not included...)
I agree with this one, but I guess nothing is better than the faulty readers that some people got lol. Free shwag is free shwag.

- Unpolished save system: relies on a database (ndsinfo.dat) to decide which save type to use with every single rom. With fairly recent roms, frustration is around the corner because you'll have to guess the correct save type.
Frustration to change the save type? Uhh.. takes 2 seconds to change it ONCE. Yes, its not as good as it should be, but its not to the point of 'frustration'. An extra step that shouldn't be there?... yes.

- Does no detect save types properly, as a consequence it relies on the manufacturer's updates, thus not future proof.
Again, you can fix this yourself by changing the save type.

- Patch mode and soft reset (L+R+SELECT+START) are incompatible, you can't use both at the same time (using current firmware).
Let me clarify here... you can't run on the fly patching on non-clean roms. If you have clean roms on your card, you can easily switch between clean and super mode. If you patch before moving to your card, you can't change it.

- A chip which pops out of the casing, makes inserting/ removing the card a tad tougher if you don't remove it gently
True dat... haven't really had an issue with it.. but it does stick out a bit.

- No real-time saves, one has to reboot for the save to be written to microSD.
Not if you patch first, or enable on the fly supermode. With this, saves are direct to the microsd.

- 8 character save files, can be confusing when dealing with regional dupes or roms with quite similar names (anything after 7th character is replaced by ~)
Yes... you'd think this would be a simple fix.

- A few bugs are yet to be fixed, such as the boot I/O error
Isn't this a moonshell error? Hopefully will be fixed when they update using the newer moonshell. Annoying because it adds a 2 second 'splash' before getting to the OS.

- Critical bug: the OS wipes all savegames on the microSD card if it happens to be full!
haven't seen this happen yet, but if it does.. damn.

-------------

Now my real rants about the product:
- Can't change the top screen picture... its embedded in the OS.
- Touch screen can be a little finicky

Pros versus other cards at the moment:
- IMHO, the best looking OS (supercard with the best GUI? WTF?
biggrin.gif
) It's more flexible on what you can skin than any other, except for that damn top screen. Of courss you can change this by making it work like moonshell, but then you lose the touchscreen goodness and ability to get to the menu.
- Potential for much more with supermode (ie cheating function)

Farami9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the freebies con is silly....

what if the M3 real contains a cap, wallet, belt, sd card reader, sticker,,, etc should it be ranked higher then another flash card.

Mystic-Homer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You gotta take into account that the extra items included with the main product, in a way, shows how deeply a company cares about pleasing its consumers
smile.gif

And I don't care if it's sarcasm, the R4 or M3 don't/won't come with any unnecessary things like a cap or belt, etc...

All the things included with them are practical and only help the functionality and enjoyment of the main product (the flashcard).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls