Supercard DS One New User's Guide

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by mixinluv2u, Apr 15, 2008.

Apr 15, 2008
  1. mixinluv2u
    OP

Member mixinluv2u GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Is there a new user's guide for Supercard DS One anywhere? If not, maybe you guys can help answer some of my questions... i should be getting my Supercard soon!

- I read that it is recommended to do a speed test on the microSD and adjust it accordingly for games. How do I perform this test and does this actually improve the performance?

- I have read about running the SCDS1 self-test. What does this achieve and is it recommended before using?

- I had an R4 and would like to migrate my saves over. How would I go about doing that? Are there extra steps other than simply copying over the .sav files? Is there a particular file naming structure they need to follow?

- I plan on setting up the SCDS1 with the triple bootloader by bliss. How can I make sure that the same save file is recognized by all 3 loaders?

- Does SCDS1 still have problem playing Puzzlequest? If so, will the game work if I use one of the other 2 loaders?

- How do you guys organize your card? I heard about people making a folder for each ROM. What advantage does this have over putting all the ROMs in the same folder? It seems more troublesome to do it this way, especially when I want to backup the save files.

thanks in advance! and maybe more questions as i think of them. =)

2. Warren_303

Member Warren_303 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There is a Readme file that comes with the scshell file that could be a walkthrough I guess.
    This might help you out a little http://eng.supercard.cn/manual/dsone/guide.html
    Use the FAQ's on the page also.

There is really no reason to adjust the read speed for most games. So I wouldn't really worry about it.
    But if you need to you can select the "other" or "option" to adjust the SD read speed with your stylus.
    http://scorpei.com/pictures_SuperCard_DS1/...r_menu(big).jpg

The self test can be used to make sure the micro sd is ok as well as the supercard.
    If your supercard ever acts up and does not work try a self test. Also one other thing about that.
    If you do a self test and get a "PSRAM Error," your supercard is toast and needs to be sent back for a replacement.

I'm not sure about the multiboot loader, I've never tried it and I don't have the Supercard anymore.

I always organised my girlfriends and friends supercards with folders for each rom.
    You obviously don't have to but I did this because this way the save file stays in the folder and cannot be misplaced.
    Sometimes the save files can be auto named something weird and its hard to tell which save is whicn if you don't have the roms in their individual folders.

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I've heard that a recent OS update lets Puzzle Quest work properly again if DMA mode is enabled.

4. Berkut

Newcomer Berkut Newbie

United States
    Personally, I wouldn't mind if there was a decent guide about customizing moonshell for DS One. It would be nice to know all of the fields in config file along with tips about changing the look of the shell (skin guides are available, but aren't always deep enough). Like, it would be nice to know how to change folder icon to have the look of icon file inside that folder, etc. It could be that moonshell just isn't as flexible as I would think, but it's hard to believe. In the end, there is some info available in moonshell dev forums, but it's hardly perfect.

5. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    Try the main supercard page, it has forums too, also scdev.org is a great supercard site.

6. mixinluv2u
    OP

United States
    hey guys thanks for all the links and answers so far, keep them comin'! =)

i believe that i will need to run my R4 saves through a save converter for SCDS1, is that correct? i would also like to make sure the save is recognized by all 3 loaders if possible, do i need to go through any special procedures?

also, is there a way to take out DSTT from the triple boot process (or at least give it the least priority)? in the triple loader instructions it gives the option of making either the DSTT and SCDS1 primary and the other one secondary. YSMenu doesn't really have any options of being primary.

also when i see SCDS1 skins they are usually listed with a firmware number. does that mean older skins are not compatible with a newer firmware?

and lastly, how do i enable soft-reset for homebrews?

sorry for all the questions, i am just eager to learn how to use this card to its full potential.

7. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    As for r4 to scds1 saves, i think you can just use them as they are (remember to keep a backup incase it goes tits up tho)

For using the same save file on all 3 loaders, make sure to run a rom on the dstt or y's menu first, as it will create a properly named save file (long file names), which the scds1 os will also use to if it finds it, but if you let the scds1 os create the save then it will name it in standard 8.3 format, so long names get the '~' in the file name if it is long. Saying this if you wanted to for some reason, you can use this quirk to have different sav files for scds1 and y's/dstt os's, giving muti-save file abilty on 1 rom... even tho the scds1 menu has this function anyway.

As for boot priority you can just rename the exe/nds filenames as you want.. example rename the Y's loader to the dstt loader name... basically tricking it into loading y's instead of dstt.

8. mixinluv2u
    OP

United States
    cool! thanks for the quick response!! =D

when i see SCDS1 skins they are usually listed with a firmware number. does that mean older skins are not compatible with a newer firmware?

how do i enable soft-reset homebrews?

9. DanTheManMS

United States
    Open the patch menu and choose the appropriate homebrew soft-reset option before launching the game. There's a very recent thread somewhere in the Supercard forums here that will tell you how to open the patching menu if you don't already know how.

http://www.scdev.org/forum/index.php?topic=12238.0 could help you as well. It's a re-translated version of some of the major configuration files to make it much clearer to you what the options are and how to customize things.

10. mixinluv2u
    OP

United States
    i just tried soft-rest with DSOrganize and it froze. is this a known issue?

11. DanTheManMS

United States
    I'm not entirely sure how soft-reset works in homebrew since it can be made so many ways (commercial games are at least standardized for the most part), but I'm guessing it hooks into some known DevKitARM commands, while DSOrganize continues to be compiled on a very old version of DevKitARM. I'm guessing this is the issue.