(Super) Trim vs Original (non Trim) 3DS Rom Performance

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Nemix77, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Nemix77
    OP

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Just wondering does (Super) trimming 3DS roms affect the performance of the game isn any why like how compressing PSP games to CSO sometimes affects the loading textures and game loading time depending on the PSP game being compressed, does trimming 3DS's roms behave the same way?

2. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You wanted to see where I live? You stalker...
    "Trimming" and "Compressing" are two different terms. "Trimming" is basically cutting some unnecessary stuff out of the rom so that it has a smaller file size and load times won't be affected. However "Compressing" roms/isos is basically trying to "squeeze" the files contained. Imagine trying to fit a whole bunch of your clothes in your suitcase and it's hard to squeeze them all in and you have put a lot of force into compressing them and make them fit inside. The compressed games takes a bit longer to load because the PSP is un-compressing the files. :P

Margen67 and cvskid like this.
  3. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    In other words, trimming doesn't affect the speed.

4. Nemix77
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Apparently CSO compression for PSP games also remove unnecessary stuff (like blank filler space) but also compresses the original game image which affect the performance of the game is CSO format (depending on the game and compression level used).

I'm fully aware compression and trimming are different terms thus why I used the term separately to each method used for each console however I'm unware of program that just remove empty filler space and unnecessary stuff for PSP game images without converting and compressing the game to CSO format so I was sorta afraid trimming 3DS roms may also compress them somehow and ultimately affect the games performance.

Seeing that you seems pretty knowledgeable in this topic would you happen to know a program I can use to just trim my PSP ISO's in the same manner as trimming 3DS's roms?

5. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You can use UMDGen to remove the unnecessary files you choose (like update data) and be able compress the .iso to .cso whenever you want.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Nemix77
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Kinda knew this a while back but forgot about UMDGen however the operation to remove dummies and unnecessary stuff via UMDGen is manual which sorta put me off in the first place.

Basically safe trimming with UMDGen remove about 100MB per PSP ISO which adds up if one's got a lot of small PSP Minis games.

Thanks again for the correction and suggestion and sorry if I came out as a bit rude.

7. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    Nah, no problem. I'm sure there is someone out there who can give better suggestions than me. Also, Google is your friend. ;):yaynds::yaypsp:

8. Phantom_User

Phantom_User Phantom of Page 666

Aug 28, 2012
    Your nightmares
    Is there a list of games that are "safe to trim" to make their size smaller?

If not, what are the games that usually present the most issues when doing so? I've heard triming games like Pokémon ORAS is a no-no.

9. Dankey Kang

Dankey Kang Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2014
    Egypt
    I have a question: Any disadvantages to "super trimming"?

10. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    I'm sure there's a list somewhere out there. I'm just too lazy to find it. lol There's always the "try it yourself" way. XP
    It's the same as trimming, but it also removes the update partition and that is irreversible, iirc. It's usually not recommended because it causes issues to some roms.

Dankey Kang and Phantom_User like this.
  11. Phantom_User

Aug 28, 2012
    Your nightmares

Thanks. :) I'll try to give another look around.

12. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Make copies.

Margen67 and Phantom_User like this.
  13. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    CARD2 games are a big no-no for trimming. Pokémon ORAS, as you mentioned, is one of these since it's a CARD2 game.

14. Phantom_User

Aug 28, 2012
    Your nightmares
    Sorry if it's a bother, but mind telling me why?

15. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    CARD2 games store the save inside the ROM itself instead of as a separate .SAV file. If you trim a CARD2 ROM, you will also trim away the part where it would store the save, causing corruption.
    It's possible to trim the ROM and still keep enough room for the save, but I don't know if a handy dandy tool for this exists.

Phantom_User likes this.
  16. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    What do you guys use to trim roms?

Phantom_User likes this.
  17. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    Phantom_User likes this.
  18. Arithmatics

Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Jan 29, 2009
    Malaysia
    How do you know if it's CARD2?
    excuse my noob but I've only now heard of this term. will do some research right after i press Post reply.

Phantom_User likes this.
  19. Phantom_User

Aug 28, 2012
    Your nightmares
    Using the tool Link provided above tells you just that. :)

Edit: Triming's a big deal. I mean if you trim a VC release like Mighty Gunvolt, you go from 128 MB's to 10 MB's. That's massive saving right there.

Not all games will act the same I believe, but it's still useful if it works just fine.

Thank you! :)

20. Oswarlan

Oswarlan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
    The card2 save extractor posted around here works fine. here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/pokemon-x-y-flashcard-community-saves.364150/
    Steps are fairly simple.
    Pre-step) Back up rom just in case.
    1) Extract save from rom
    2) trim card2 game
    3) Re-insert the save with the same program
    And now you have a smaller card2 game with save.

thetechguy95 likes this.